U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 06:54 AM

593 posts, read 2,208,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Yes.
I had no idea about the formula change, and Elwood did develop loose stools last week when we began a new bag of Canidae. He also gets Natural Choice lamb & rice, I mix the two together, and his tummy troubles soon cleared up.
I have come to understand that slowly mixing in the new formula with the old is the best way to ensure a smooth switch. It sounds like that strategy has worked for you - have the rest of you tried gradually mixing in new Canidae with the old? When I called the cust. svc. # on the bag, that's what they advised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 08:38 AM

4,583 posts, read 15,306,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCguy03 View Post
I have come to understand that slowly mixing in the new formula with the old is the best way to ensure a smooth switch. It sounds like that strategy has worked for you - have the rest of you tried gradually mixing in new Canidae with the old? When I called the cust. svc. # on the bag, that's what they advised.
I work at an establishment that sells Canidae and we were given no warning. Makes it a tad difficult to transistion.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:49 PM

8,204 posts, read 31,523,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
^^^Thanks Grannynancy . I had already sent an email to Solid Gold regarding the brand I just switched to, so we'll see how they respond .
Just an update....

So far, no response! I'm going to resend my email, but it's not like they didn't get the first one .

Old 09-09-2008, 10:58 PM

1,479 posts, read 6,787,360 times
Quote:
So Diamond does make Solid Gold or doesn't?

I thought they made their own food - Solid Gold only makes Solid Gold and doesn't outsource? That's what I was told . I just switched to Sold Gold Wolf King.

I guess Canidae is off the list entirely now (I won't bother looking into them).
The Diamond website indicates that, in 2007 at least, they manufactured Solid Gold. Diamond Pet Foods : Vet Notes : Dogs. I imagine they probably still do. Diamond makes food for lots of companies. I recently received an email from Canidae which stated that Diamond now makes all Canidae dry food at Diamond facilities.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
The Diamond website indicates that, in 2007 at least, they manufactured Solid Gold. Diamond Pet Foods : Vet Notes : Dogs. I imagine they probably still do. Diamond makes food for lots of companies. I recently received an email from Canidae which stated that Diamond now makes all Canidae dry food at Diamond facilities.
Thanks Leorah .

I totally believe what you guys are saying - 100% - I just want to hear it from them as a confirmation (I asked them a question, and I'd like an answer ).

The Diamond website says this:

None of the dry pet food products that we manufacture for Solid Gold or Kirkland Signature are being recalled.

So what I want to know from Solid Gold is "does Diamond produce ALL of your line, or just some of it, and specifically I want to know about the product in your line that I'm using". Not such a hard question for them to answer, right?

Old 09-10-2008, 06:34 PM

4,334 posts, read 11,913,438 times
I was going to do a switchover to Canidae for all my dogs.....that Diamond Dog Food Company still scares me though! I am going with something else.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:38 PM

1,479 posts, read 6,787,360 times
Quote:
Thanks Leorah .

I totally believe what you guys are saying - 100% - I just want to hear it from them as a confirmation (I asked them a question, and I'd like an answer ).

The Diamond website says this:

None of the dry pet food products that we manufacture for Solid Gold or Kirkland Signature are being recalled.

So what I want to know from Solid Gold is "does Diamond produce ALL of your line, or just some of it, and specifically I want to know about the product in your line that I'm using". Not such a hard question for them to answer, right?
It should be an easy question, but if my experience with the Canidae folks is any indication, it will be difficult to get a "real" answer. In response to my similar question I received a "form letter" type email response. I fired off a testy reminder that they didn't answer my questions. I received another standard reply that wiffled and waffled and finally said that Diamond manufactured all of Canidae's kibble. They know consumers are concerned and figure if they stonewall the concern will go away.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:50 PM

^^^As Leorah already knows, after my second request, I received a reply from Solid Gold and their dry dog food is indeed manufactured by Diamond for the last 5 years .

So....I'm out shopping for dog food again .

Old 09-12-2008, 07:14 AM

593 posts, read 2,208,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I work at an establishment that sells Canidae and we were given no warning. Makes it a tad difficult to transistion.
I am new to learning about all the details of dog food, since a friend is going through the process of buying (I'm trying to convince her to adopt) a new puppy.

So in doing food research like the rest of you, I am searching for the best food available. I mean - value is also important. But overall, the new ingredients that Canidae is using are better quality. After seeing one of the new bags they have the 'new formula' label on there. Did the bags at your store have those?

Old 09-12-2008, 12:29 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,378,405 times
Consider that what the vendor is selling as "quality" may really be a way to justify cheaper ingredients.

They were all about brown rice, but the cost of brown rice went up. "diversifying the grains?" what the heck is that - not a way to improve quality but rather a way to save money.

Original formula had Herring meal, now it is ocean fish meal. Herring are very very healthy fish full of omega 3s. Ocean fish can be anything - which may or may not have much value - many large ocean fish have high lead content such as swordfish.

I would not have problems with a complay saying they were changign the formula to save $$$$ but to say the are improving quality - come on ----

Candiae is still a "decent" dog food but there are plenty of other better choices in the same price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs