U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 04:35 PM

4,541 posts, read 12,524,702 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know who manufactures Drs. Foster & Smith's private label dog food?

I saw that Whole Dog Journal had given it a thumbs up in 2007 (actually it's on Foster's & Smith's website)

I would like to know if Diamond is the manufacturer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 04:54 PM

1,473 posts, read 6,663,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Does anyone know who manufactures Drs. Foster & Smith's private label dog food?

I saw that Whole Dog Journal had given it a thumbs up in 2007 (actually it's on Foster's & Smith's website)

I would like to know if Diamond is the manufacturer.
At the time of the 2007 contaminated rice protein recalls, I think Foster & Smith dry dog food was made by Chenango Valley Pet Foods and Menu made the canned. You may want to email them and see if that is still the case.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
At the time of the 2007 contaminated rice protein recalls, I think Foster & Smith dry dog food was made by Chenango Valley Pet Foods and Menu made the canned. You may want to email them and see if that is still the case.

Foster & Smith actually have live chat customer service. I just confirmed that is still their manufacturer.

That is a good thing???

Last edited by World Citizen; 09-12-2008 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: added response from Foster & Smith

Old 09-12-2008, 08:50 PM

4,334 posts, read 11,738,040 times
WC, I would stear clear of anything with the Diamond name attached to it. Right now I would like to switch my dogs food but to what? Everything is scary. Today I heard on the news that the same contaminents that was in the dog food recall is now in baby formula! I do not trust China with anything food related right now...they do not like babies..girls in particular and they do not like dogs and cats! What does that tell you? Sorry if I offended anyone but I am an American and I feel this comment is a right to my freedom of speech!

Old 09-12-2008, 08:56 PM

4,334 posts, read 11,738,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
So Diamond does make Solid Gold or doesn't?

I thought they made their own food - Solid Gold only makes Solid Gold and doesn't outsource? That's what I was told . I just switched to Sold Gold Wolf King.

I guess Canidae is off the list entirely now (I won't bother looking into them).
I had my little white pittie on Solid Gold when I first rescued her, due to her stomach problems. She did good on it...then I switched her to another one for Sensative Stomachs. I would like to put her back on the Solid Gold but am afraid!

Old 09-12-2008, 09:10 PM

Default not diamond...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
WC, I would stear clear of anything with the Diamond name attached to it. Right now I would like to switch my dogs food but to what? Everything is scary. Today I heard on the news that the same contaminents that was in the dog food recall is now in baby formula! I do not trust China with anything food related right now...they do not like babies..girls in particular and they do not like dogs and cats! What does that tell you? Sorry if I offended anyone but I am an American and I feel this comment is a right to my freedom of speech!
Foster's & Smith is made by Chenango Valley Pet Foods -- NOT Diamond -- and they got a 2007 recommendation from Whole Dog Journal.

I don't know anything about Chenango Valley Pet Foods. Are they good? That was my question.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 3,678 times
I have been feeding Diamond Beef n Rice for going on over 6 months now and each time we buy a new batch of 4 or more bags at a time my dogs have the runs and their coats look awful. It has been suggested since I have a Northern Breed I need more protien so to add some Lamb n Rice mixed into the food. But after two weeks of feeding my show dogs coats look even worse. I also feed "Show Stopper" as an additive. Anyone else having issues with this brand? What did you switch to if you have? Thank you

Old 08-02-2009, 11:15 AM

2,407 posts, read 5,033,778 times
Costco brand "Kirkland" is also manufactured by Diamond. Almost changed over to it last year. Glad our friend/vet told us that.

I agree with Blondie...I just don't trust China products either.
First our dog food/cat food... then kids toys... then our toothpaste...then baby foods... it will never end as long as we keep receiving products from them.
Lord knows what's in their plastics/containers/dishes that USA buys .
SORRY...off subject. just my 2 cents worth.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,545 times
I think it's ridiculous that people switch dog foods because Diamond makes it -- did you quit eating spinach when it was recalled or peanuts or peanut butter? Diamonds issues were years ago and since then they have implemented 152 quality check lists. AND if you didn't know -- the recall years ago was due to the fact that a Diamond employee who owed a ton of back child support had been paid by a competitor to "turn the other cheek" when it came to inspecting ingredients. The ingredients were tainted. Since then they have implemented a triple quality control check list and the "competitor" has had legal action filed against them. As far as Canidae goes -- the Pied Piper used to manufacture Candiae and they were not making the ingredients according to spec -there was corn, by products etc. When Canidae discovered this they had to switch their production over night to avoid running the risk of the current mnfr retaliating. Diamond now manufacture Canidae according to the original spec -- which is much richer than the crap the Pied Piper was making -- many dogs can showed signs of loose stools etc when switching to a rich formula. It is unfortunate that this happened because and that many on line blogs have ruined this food - it is a great Holistic food. As far as China goes --- ALL Absorbic Acid comes from china - people included. Many manufactures don't have to reveal where they get AA. Rabbit is usually imported from China too. So before you get on the band wagon about what is good and what is not -- -really, really, really do your homework and understand your product and what ingredients are used - why and why not.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:16 PM

2,407 posts, read 5,033,778 times
holistichound...

I'm sorry to disagree with you, but I know someone who worked at the Diamond plant in MO. She saw what went on & how the foods were made. She is a very knowledgable when it comes to this problem.
I'm not talking about the China issues back when...that was bad enough. I'm talking about the food that is made now.
If Diamond was the only food out there...I would feed my dogs what I eat.
We trust this person & know she wouldn't just be blowing hot air.
So unless you REALLY know what your talking about...I don't care how many quality checks "DIAMOND" has implemented. 156...or 15, 600. I know the truth.
I love our dogs, and I would only feed them something that I trusted. If you want to take the risk with your dog(s), that is your business, but I want our dogs to live a long & healthy life, because we LOVE them with all our hearts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs