U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 11:00 PM

11,672 posts, read 13,882,295 times

Advertisements

I thought Solid Gold food was a no-no. It was pulled from the shelves at one time, I know, and eventually put back in limited retail. I can't remember what the issue was but I was advised to steer clear of it.

Innova and California Natural can cause GI problems in some dogs because they are really rich. I worked in a private kennel that sold both and we routinely had problems with clients because of it. We eventually sold to only established owners who knew their pets would tolerate the brands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 09:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,676 times
I have 5 Chihuahuas and I feed them Diamond Small Breed and they love it. It helps to control their weight as there is no corn or by-products (yucky stuff that is in other dog foods). They have been eating it for two years now and are very healthy. My oldest dog lost about 5 pounds on this food since there was no corn or by-products in it. I swear by it...............Thank you Sandy

Old 11-14-2009, 10:53 AM

82 posts, read 367,497 times
This was all I could find on it.

Solid Gold Dog Food Recall

As far as their dry food I thought it was pretty high end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I thought Solid Gold food was a no-no. It was pulled from the shelves at one time, I know, and eventually put back in limited retail. I can't remember what the issue was but I was advised to steer clear of it.

Innova and California Natural can cause GI problems in some dogs because they are really rich. I worked in a private kennel that sold both and we routinely had problems with clients because of it. We eventually sold to only established owners who knew their pets would tolerate the brands.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:25 AM

1,203 posts, read 3,710,425 times
Does Diamond produce Taste of the Wild? I just switched my dogs to that as it comes highly recommended not only off of this board but from the pet store I went to.

My pug mix has allergies and I wanted to switch him to something better than he was on so I got this stuff and they seem to love it.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:42 PM

It does, but I would be more concerned with some of these foods that contain fishmeal preserved with ethoxyquin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
Does Diamond produce Taste of the Wild? I just switched my dogs to that as it comes highly recommended not only off of this board but from the pet store I went to.

My pug mix has allergies and I wanted to switch him to something better than he was on so I got this stuff and they seem to love it.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lana C View Post
It does, but I would be more concerned with some of these foods that contain fishmeal preserved with ethoxyquin.

So you're saying TOTW is ok? They're on the bison/venison formula, so no fish in it at all.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:14 PM

It contains ocean fishmeal. I was caught off guard by it as well.

Taste Of The Wild High Prairie Canine Formula

Old 11-14-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lana C View Post
It contains ocean fishmeal. I was caught off guard by it as well.

Taste Of The Wild High Prairie Canine Formula

Oh wow, didn't even realize that. So would this be something I should consider taking them off of since I just put them on it?

Old 11-14-2009, 05:08 PM

I don't want to make a judgment call, I know a lot of people feed it an are happy with the results. I was too until I researched Ethoxyquin. I'm now feeding Acana, and have also used Orijen. Those are the only two that claim their fish is brought in fresh. Manufacturers don't have to put ingredients on the lable if they don't put it in. The truth is fishmeal that is shipped already is preserved with it before it hits the manufacturer. Orijen and Acana doesn't ship their fish, they use it fresh.

I order Acana online because I can't get it where I live. If I were to run out while waiting for an order I would buy a small bag of TOTW to get me by for a day or two. That's just my opinion, I don't mean to ruffle any feathers..my own get ruffled enough the more I learn.

I also add fresh food to the dog kibble at dinner. I mix up cooked veggies into a sweet potato mush and add a few teaspoons of it just so they have some live food in their diet.

I didn't save the issue that listed the foods, but I recommend everyone should sign up to this site. This woman goes after answers and doesn't quit until she get them.

What we have to go through to get the Truth

Old 11-14-2009, 05:23 PM

Thanks for the tips. They seem to be doing fine so far minus a little more poop than normal and some horrendous gas the first day or two because I had to take my pug mix off the terrible food I had him on immediately and couldn't slowly introduce the new food.

They seem to both love it and gobble it down, but I'll keep my eye out as far as diarrhea goes and soft poop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs