Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 01:54 PM

8,757 posts, read 5,053,126 times

Advertisements

I was just telling my DH, as we were walking by our dog park....dogs have come a long way, since I had them as a kid. For that I am happy.They all deserve a happy and healthy life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 03:52 PM

5 posts, read 2,387 times
My dog just had his teeth cleaned at 12. We had a lot of complications and our dog almost died due to vet negligence and failure to realize our dog actually had a bacterial infection that should have been treated before he ever went under anesthesia. So my advice is that if you have an older dog, demand more tests than just bloodwork and a general health checkup. We didn't know better and thought just the bloodwork was fine but I've come to learn from the new vet (the one who literally saved our dog's life) that because of our dog's age we should have done more tests just to be sure nothing was off.

Old 02-19-2021, 08:59 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,596 times
I think it is a good idea to have your dogs teeth cleaned. Even more than in humans, there is strong evidence that oral issues in dogs lead to other serious health issues. Where are you located? If you do some research you can likely find someone to do this who does not need to put the dog under. We just paid about $200/ea to have our dogs teeth cleaned; no anesthesia, no more stink breath...

Old 02-26-2021, 04:12 PM

216 posts, read 258,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
I think it is a good idea to have your dogs teeth cleaned. Even more than in humans, there is strong evidence that oral issues in dogs lead to other serious health issues. Where are you located? If you do some research you can likely find someone to do this who does not need to put the dog under. We just paid about $200/ea to have our dogs teeth cleaned; no anesthesia, no more stink breath...

Where did you pay $200 for a teeth cleaning? That is cheap! I recently got it done for $156 in Tijuana but that was done as an add on, the dog was under anesthesia for having a growth removed.

Old 02-26-2021, 06:15 PM

216 posts, read 258,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post

And more importantly, how effective was the cleaning without using anesthesia? I can't see how they could possibly do it thoroughly without the dog being sedated.

Old 03-03-2021, 02:17 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,975,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKiwi View Post
And more importantly, how effective was the cleaning without using anesthesia? I can't see how they could possibly do it thoroughly without the dog being sedated.
I would say it depends on the dog.
A year ago, my 11 year old German Shepherd underwent anesthesia to have his teeth cleaned professionally.
He was fine afterwards.

Since that cleaning, I clean his teeth three times a week with coconut oil, and a little baking soda.
He is use to me poking around in his mouth, and ears so he has gotten use to it.
It usually takes me about twenty minutes each time I clean them, and he just lays there nice and calm.

Speaking of calm, I recently purchased one of those dremel tools for grinding his nails, and once again, he is fine with that.
I allowed him to get use to the sound of the dremel( actually rather quiet) a few minutes before actually using it on his nails.
He must have realized it was not a danger to him.
He just lays there on his side , and let's me do the grinding.
Matter of fact he damn near fell asleep the other night, when I was grinding his nails, he was so relaxed.

It think any home interaction concerning our pets, takes the dog having confidence in not only the procedure, but the calmness of the owner in performing the task.

Old 03-03-2021, 03:41 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,122 times
I have only ever had one dog’s teeth cleaned and vowed I would never do that again.

There are many brands of dental bones but we give these to our two dogs. One is seven years, the other four years. Their teeth are as white as a puppy’s and their breath doesn’t stink either.

https://www.chewy.com/blue-buffalo-d...ural/dp/120414

We feed Taste of The Wild’s Pacific Stream kibble.

Old 03-05-2021, 12:26 PM

936 posts, read 2,068,882 times
My dog is 9, has never had his teeth cleaned and they are somehow whiter than mine. I should probably start brushing them at home though.

On the other hand, my parents' dog, a small yorkie, had tons of teeth problems. I think smaller dogs are more prone to tooth issues than large dogs. YMMV

Old 03-06-2021, 06:20 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I have two older dogs (both aged 11). They are both big mutts. One needs regular teeth cleaning (once a year) and the other doesn't. Thankfully the one who doesn't is also the one who will put up with shots, worm tests, nail clipping, you name it. The other one freaks out even trying to weigh him, let alone DON'T STICK ANYTHING IN HIS BUTT! So what I do is have him put under light anesthesia and they just do everything then, even checking his ears and all that.

Cleaning his teeth is a good excuse to do everything all at once, once a year. I do take them in several times a year for various things, but this is "the big appointment."

There is no way I could get him to let me brush his teeth, though he would probably benefit from that as well.

Old 03-06-2021, 07:02 AM

11,474 posts, read 5,995,398 times
So, the doggie dental treats don't work at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs