U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 09:42 PM

12,387 posts, read 31,337,219 times

Advertisements

Well your contract may say that you must return him...not pass him on. As for housetrained...seems hes got your number. & you said he pees on the bed! If hes choking himself then You are not 1 putting it on correctly or 2 not using it right. collars go on like a sideways P with him on your left & pop and release not pull.
Seems to me You need the training too ... So pick a class where they teach you to train him... Stick with him hes just a puppy. Is there a trainer or class near you? Check out the AKC.ORG or UKCDOG.COM web sites for clubs & classes near you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 09:48 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,254,320 times
Dog Obedience Training, Dog Agility Training, Puppy Obedience, Dog Daycare, Atlanta , Georgia , GA

Old 05-09-2008, 10:04 PM

8,062 posts, read 16,182,498 times
I'm always envious when I read how well crating works. I've never had a dog who took to it and have felt like a failure! I always wanted a doggy who would eventually love to curl up contentedly in his own den, sigh.

Funny (now!) stories: When my younger collie was a baby, he was a pistol, so I decided I needed to crate train him. It was fine when we were home but the very first time I left him in the crate when we weren't home, he managed to bend the metal bars enough to get his snout out, MOVE the crate so it was right next to my brand new sofa, and CHEW the upholstery and side of the armrest off. I was horrified! I then bought a mostly plastic crate and that wound up in little bits all over the family room.

This dog also managed to bend and escape from a steel bar door at the kennel we used. The kennel owners were friends of mine and told me that in all of their years of business, serving some VERY large and powerful dogs, NO dog before mine had managed to bend and break one of their doors! Luckily, they were well insured!

No crate, no pen can contain Oliver. He also figured out very quickly how to open the gate latch and the storm door on the house. I've had to beef up and change out latches! But it really doesn't matter because he will not chew or disrupt anything in the house while I'm gone. He would counter-surf, LOL, but I'm not dumb enough to leave out anything that could possibly be edible.

Now, I have Morgan, the Weimaraner, who loves her mummy so much she couldn't stand to be separated from her at all, at first. I went to Tractor Supply and bought a huge, heavy-duty, God knows what gauge metal crate. Days before I needed to take a day trip, I set up the crate and tempted her inside with food and toys now and then so she'd get used to it. I thought this would be a piece of cake!

In she went right before we left, with her favorite blanky, toys, and treats. And guess who greeted us at the door when we returned, about 8 hours later? The grey ghost herself, with a very pleased look on her face. I inspected the crate -- she had bent the bars, opened the latch, and collapsed the door. Happily, though, there was nothing chewed up and no messes in the house. I returned the crate so Tractor Supply the next day, indignantly insisting that if their "heavy duty" product couldn't handle one dog for one day, I needed my money back. They gave me the refund.

The moral of this story is if you fail crate training, you're not alone and your dog isn't defective. It works for some but doesn't work for others.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:20 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,825,110 times
I can sympathize with you as I have a JR who I am not so sure is full blooded but that is another story. He would actually choke (one time he almost passed out) himself if a car, motorcycle, or bike passed us on a walk.

I agree with the obedience training. Harley would go 'nuts' when I put him in a crate. Housetraining seemed to take forever..

I took him to PetSmart and actually got a couple of private lessons along with the group lessons. I started taking him on LONG walks twice a day, we walked a good pace and he wasn't allowed to stop along the way until we got close to home on the return walk. You may not have as much time as I did, but walking on a leash even a short walk will him
That along with the lessons worked wonders with him.

Good luck.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:15 AM

6,475 posts, read 9,888,376 times
Oh my gosh, I have the same situation, with a JRT mix, also. I've only had her since last Sunday. She's 2 years old, barky, TOTALLY untrained and unhousebroken. Well, she was. The heavens must have been smiling down on me because my neighbor, who I don't know very well, has volunteered to help me train her. She now walks very nicely on the leash, knows "sit", learned the doggie door, and as of Thursday night, has been letting herself out to do her business. She's not at 100% of these behaviors, but she's very close.

Yes, training would be the answer. Not only for the dog, but for you. My neighbor trained me to train my dog. She's been with me every evening this week, and this has helped to curtail her barking and her behavior overall has much improved. The dog knows she's not the boss, and she is respecting me as the leader.

Yes, I think training is the answer.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:42 AM

16,227 posts, read 22,536,369 times
Thanks everyone!

Old 05-10-2008, 10:49 AM
miu

17,099 posts, read 34,524,599 times
I would never own a Jack Russell terrier. They are too high energy and have a reputation for being escape artists. They also have an aggressive streak in them. I suspect that your dog needs to be exercised hard every day. Setting up an agility course in your yard might help. You need to give him a job to do and running him through an agility course might help. Have you tried a choke collar on him yet?

Also, find a local Jack Russell group to join and they can help you out in better ways than we can.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:00 PM

16,227 posts, read 22,536,369 times
No, no choke collar, but we need to get one. We just have a plain ol` leash we put on him for walks, but like I said, its not working.
I have wrote out an ad two diffrent times, after I found out that he was peeing on my bedspread.. to find him a home, but never put it in.
Along with the fact that he isn`t really the "family dog" type.
I wish sometimes, that I never saw his cute little face behind that cage in the pound. I wasn`t thinking ahead, about his bread, and his personality.
I know thats my fault, so we will learn to live with it, I guess.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:12 PM
miu

It's also that tv show Fraser's fault. lol. Those dogs are very cute, but a handful to own. Terriers are stubborn and they seem to be more stubborn that the average terrier. My current terrier mix is a Scotty/Schnauzer mix and I love her so much! Fortunately, she is housebroken, but she's always trying to sneak away to check out our neighbors' yards. The woman I adopted her from told me that she likes to visit one house over on each side. Then if she succeeds is getting away, she is equally stealthy on her way home. If I see her coming in, she walks lower to the ground and hunches her shoulders. Even her ears are lowered. So she clearly knows she's being bad. But what a great personality she has!

Old 05-10-2008, 02:14 PM
miu

Also, all dogs get better with age. That's why I will never get another puppy or young dog. Over the age of 5 years, dogs start getting mellower, less hyper and less willful. At the age of 7, most are perfect companions. At least that's been my luck with my rescued dogs. I also greatly prefer spayed females to neutered males. Less peeing on things in the yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or