U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 07:13 PM

13,155 posts, read 16,871,109 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with this treatment? I understand it's new, and referred to as "cold laser". It's said to reduce inflammation and increase circulation.

Has anyone tried it for their dog? Please tell me how much it helped, or if it did, and anything else about your experience with the therapy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 02:49 PM

8,191 posts, read 27,455,458 times
Not all that new. Those have been around for a long, long time. 20 years ago I was using them on show horses. The trouble is that you are not really addressing the problem, merely treating the symptom. Also, over use can lead to more serious problems.

You don't say what the problem is with your dog, so it is difficult to offer other options. I have seen amazing results with massage therapy and acupuncture.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:18 AM

13,155 posts, read 16,871,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Not all that new. Those have been around for a long, long time. 20 years ago I was using them on show horses. The trouble is that you are not really addressing the problem, merely treating the symptom. Also, over use can lead to more serious problems.

You don't say what the problem is with your dog, so it is difficult to offer other options. I have seen amazing results with massage therapy and acupuncture.
It's hereditary joint disease in both hips and in shoulders. Vet says the shoulders are actually worse than the hips. However, the dog (a lab, of course) has a great attitude and high tolerance for pain, so when he's really stiff and slow moving, we can tell he's in pain. Vet said the therapy can be a good alternative to giving him drugs for pain.

Right now, we only give him a buffered aspirin when he exhibits serious stiffness, and that maybe once a week or every other week. Sometimes we can go for a month without giving anything, and he does just fine. It all depends on the weather and how much exercise he's had on a given day. However, he's getting older (is 8 now) and the pain may increase with age as the joints get worse.

Thank you for your response. What are the problems that this therapy can lead to?

Old 05-16-2008, 08:45 AM

8,191 posts, read 27,455,458 times
Over use of these machines can do damage to the bone marrow. Like a lot of things people see a good result and figure that if 10 minutes once a day is good 20 minutes 3 times a day must be better.

It sounds like massage therapy could be beneficial to your dog. You can visit the International Association of Animal Massage Therapists website and request a recommendation for a therapist in your area. Their site is International Association of Animal Massage Therapists and there is an e-mail link at the bottom of the page. Massage would be a good choice for a holistic option, can't over do it and can't do it wrong. Massage is great for helping to promote healthy joints.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:42 PM

1 posts, read 14,487 times
Have a Rescued 8 year old male Dalmatian with sever arthritis in both front legs and shoulders. X-rays show no other major complications. He has continued to be less mobile and in pain. My Vet suggested that I give the laser therapy a try so we did. Jake has now completed 4 treatments over the last week and 1/2 and will receive 3 more over the next couple weeks before we re-evaluate his progress. As of right now, he is 1,000 percent more mobile and in much less distress. If all continues as it has to this point I would highly recommend this treatment to pets who have pain and problems with movement.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:36 AM

1,587 posts, read 6,496,433 times
If this works on animals maybe I should try it on myself. Pain injections and such not help me.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:11 AM

3 posts, read 36,211 times
Default Stem Cell Regenerative Therapy

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Is anyone familiar with this treatment? I understand it's new, and referred to as "cold laser". It's said to reduce inflammation and increase circulation.

Has anyone tried it for their dog? Please tell me how much it helped, or if it did, and anything else about your experience with the therapy.
I opted for the stem cell regenerative therapy, and it has worked wonders. Procedure runs about $2500.00, but its definately beats surgical alternatives.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:13 AM

3 posts, read 36,211 times
Have you thought about stem cell regenerative therapy? It works wonders. Procedure runs about $2500.00, but its definately worth it, and it certainly beats alternative surgical interventions.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:16 PM
LJ1

1 posts, read 11,971 times
My dog has had BOTH stem cell treatment and cold laser. Both have been wonderful. Stem cell treatment is for dogs who are disease-free but who have muscular problems like arthritis or like my dog - torn ligaments. She was 12 and the treatments had instant positive results - which lasted for about 1 1/2 years. Now she has been receiving Level 4 laser light treatment every couple of weeks (was weekly for a few weeks) Instantly decreases inflammation (her right rear leg has been starting up - well she IS 14 !!)

Old 12-21-2009, 07:01 AM

12,123 posts, read 29,926,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
If this works on animals maybe I should try it on myself. Pain injections and such not help me.
My thoughts exactly!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or