U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 01:44 AM

423 posts, read 1,326,363 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm new here, but I've been enjoying reading everyone's posts for the past few days, so I had to sign up and join the conversation!

I'd love some ideas on what my new doggy might be a mix of. She's 15lbs and about 12" high. She is the best dog (aren't they all?) She's very meek and LOVES to be with people. She'd rather stay next to me than play with other dogs, and doesn't seem to have any type of prey or herding drive. I call her my velcro dog because wherever I go, she has to follow me.

So the possible mixes I've heard so far are Chow (unlikely given her size), Spaniel, Pomeranian, and Sheltie. And maybe fox

Pom make sense because she dances around like Poms do and has that foxy look to her face, and the red coloring. Sheltie I can see in her body shape, and she 'talks' to us, like I've heard Shelties do. Neither of those breeds would explain the floppy ears though.

So, thoughts?

Thanks for playing!

Oh, and the shelter named her Mimi, but I'm trying to think of a better name, something Irish maybe - so I'll take suggestions on that too! My current favorite is 'Riley'

The first pic is her shelter photo so she looks a little frazzled! I'll have to take some standing shots, but she holds her tail both low, like a Sheltie, and up over her back like a spitz breed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 03:50 AM

12,401 posts, read 31,389,583 times
How about Sweet Pea...as her color in the middle pic shes GREEN....hehehehehe
I think the spaniel is either cocker or King Charles She sure is cute!

Old 05-15-2008, 04:02 AM

13,297 posts, read 25,488,421 times
What a gorgeous little gal! I always say that a dog needn't be good looking or cute to be lovable, but she is both.
As for names, I've had to wait for a name to come to me for the few dogs I've named. I have noticed that people tend to name female animals with people names, less so for the boys. You could mentally run down, say, bible names of females, or literature, or try a mental list of places, or foods, or a place that means something to you and its language or cities...
Both my female dogs were named at Best Friends, and knew their names. I did think that "Chippy" was a terrible name for a girl! Turns out she and her sister, both black dogs, were rescued and named "Dutch Chocolate" and "Chocolate Chip," and of course they became "Dutchy" and "Chippy."
As for "Eloise," her tag reads "Weezers." There's no way "Eloise" is an easy name to call or use.
Most names tend to morp into a two-syllable name, preferable with two hard sounds ("Kiko," not "Tona." Neighbor named his girls "Daytona" and "Mariah," and the names became "Tona" and "Riah.")
Your girl's name will come to you. She's a beauty, congratulations!

Old 05-15-2008, 04:11 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,058,641 times
Shamrock O'Doggy
Or Shamrock O'Deary. Rhymes with O'Leary.
Definitely looks like some pom in her.
Maybe some chow and a few other ancestors.
I have a mixed chow that resembles your dog in some ways.
We named her Ginger because of her reddish color.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:38 AM

2,986 posts, read 6,470,414 times
She is precious! I love those big eyes. I agree that something looks a bit Sheltie and maybe King Charles Spaniel...

She looks so girlie - how about something Irish, but very feminine like Colleen - it would probably end up as Colly. Or Bridget or Mara or Darcy...

Enjoy!

Old 05-15-2008, 06:24 AM

1,808 posts, read 5,861,491 times
Just wanted to post and say how adorable your dog is! She looks so sweet.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:29 AM

960 posts, read 1,355,151 times
How about naming her Nuala? It's pronounced "New-la".

It's a pretty Gaelic (Irish) name for a girl.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:31 AM

2,349 posts, read 9,663,646 times
Penelope - Nelly

Old 05-15-2008, 06:32 AM

1,808 posts, read 5,861,491 times
Or "Penny".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
Penelope - Nelly

Old 05-15-2008, 10:25 AM

423 posts, read 1,326,363 times
Thanks for the replies everyone! Good suggestions for names, I'll have to make a list. Brightdoglover, I have actually been looking at Irish literature - thanks for the tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs