Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 03:33 PM

93 posts, read 457,402 times

Advertisements

We have 2 'outside' dogs and 2 'inside' dogs. We have no problem leaving the 2 outside all day and don't worry about it a bit - they have access to water, shade from the summer heat, a huge old greenhouse for shelter if they want it, and they absolutely love it outside! We've brought them in occasionally when they seem interested, but they were restless and couldn't wait to get back out. The 2 inside dogs are terriers and they too would love to be outside all day with the big guys (we have to practically drag them back in), but they can't be left alone outside all day because I'd worry that they'd dig under the fence chasing a chipmunk and be halfway downtown by the time we got home!

Whether inside or out, ours are truly loved and paid lots of attention. We've found what works best for us and for them; that's what's important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 05:54 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
i can't stand people who leave their dogs out all day to bake in the sun, barking and being separated from their people - i have friends who do it and I really won't ever go over to their homes because of it

our dogs are inside with us for the most part and definitely sleep inside - we crate until they can be reliable, but don't crate more than they can handle as puppies

when they get older and more reliable we give them reign of the house when we're gone - the enthusiastic greetings can be a bit much, but all in all they're good dogs

i grew up in the country and it was definitely a different approach - the dogs always slept inside and in the winter would spend the days inside (back in upstate NY) - however there was a lot of land and woods around us, in the other seasons they liked being out and running about - often times getting themselves dirty, etc

when we left for the day they were out playing & running - we left our garage open for them to come in and get water, sleep or get out of the elements - come home and clean them up

definitely differences between country & city

Old 06-05-2008, 07:54 AM

36,531 posts, read 30,856,131 times
I think its natural for dogs to be outside. They are shhhh, animals. I cant believe so many think it is awful for a dog to live outside, but good for them to stay in a crate inside all day. I dont get that. I leave my 4 dogs out while I am at work. 3 are together in the kennel with food water shade and shelter. One is loose, she dosent always play well with others. I live on 43 acres and my neighbers are a distance away. When I get home, I let them out. We go for a romp around the property, throw the ball or frisby and maybe jump in the pond. They all stay in the house with me at night. We have a routine. Although they enjoy napping on the couch they wouldnt be happy in the house all the time.
I think as long as they are socialized and you do spend time with them, being outside is not a bad thing. It sounds like your puppy still gets plenty of love and attention.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:41 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
We work from home and keep the dogs outside for the most of the day. At night they come indoors. If we worked outside the house we'd have to keep the dogs inside during the day. They enjoy being out of doors with their comfy patio love seat and chairs under ceiling fans.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:13 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,341,443 times
My dog loves being around us and now that we're at my brothers house the past few weeks, she has enjoyed his dogs but I can also see she loves her alone time. She goes in her crate (door open) and sleeps.
We haven't left her alone for long periods of time but she has the run of the house and she's done really well adjusting from going to one house to another and getting ready to move permanately in a couple of weeks to a house she's used to also.
I don't think dogs or cats mind being alone every once in awhile.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:51 AM

36,531 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
I don't think dogs or cats mind being alone every once in awhile.
Especially cats.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:23 PM

319 posts, read 963,440 times
Default i dont git it

Quote:
Originally Posted by noplacelikeWA View Post
I am seriously stuggling with this!!! We have 3 dogs, two are lazy old lady pugs that just sleep on the couch ALL day, the third is a very active 5 month old OEB. I have never had an "outdoor" pet before and I often get teased by my friends for spoiling my pets. They are very much like children to me and I am really not feeling good about leaving the puppy outside so much. Right now she spends about 50% of the day outdoors and sleeps indoors all night. I let her out off and on all day but when she is in she is confined to our kitchen. I feel terribly guilty when she is left alone for more than an hour at a time. How do people do it, go to work all day and leave their pets home to be alone?
u never said why u had to keep it outside?id worry bout red tail hawks.a bald eagle or hawk got my sons pet rabbit.my wife only saw a shadow & heard the scream.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:00 PM

19,757 posts, read 22,661,296 times
My hounds job was to be outside. She had an insulated dog box, filled with fresh straw, and she kept look over 15 acres.

Actually she never wanted to come in. I mean if you're a working dog, why would you? It's more fun outside in the woods and field.

One of her trained jobs was to use her cold nose to scent shot deer. This is a doe my buddy dropped with a bow, in the pouring rain, that the dog found in 10 minutes after my buddy tried for 2 hours on his own. She didn't mind being out in the dark, cold rain at all. As a matter of fact- she was totally excited to be working 'outside'. As soon as she saw me with a gun and get in the truck- she knew it was showtime and raring to go!

Last edited by Threerun; 03-08-2009 at 03:12 PM..

Old 03-08-2009, 03:28 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,225 times
^Yuck...just yuck.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:32 PM

19,757 posts, read 22,661,296 times
'Yuck' that people eat deer, or 'yuck' that my dog is a working dog?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs