U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 10:22 AM

399 posts, read 1,955,383 times

Advertisements

Honestly, as a vet tech, we never saw a dog recover. Sure, there were some that would hang on for months, but they went through torture with all of the vet visits, blood draws, i.v. injections, oral medications......all for a few months (always less than a year, more like 6-9 months) that they may have very well lived with massive doses of cortisone. There is a saying in the veterinary world.....never let an animal die without the benefit of cortisone . It really helps them feel better for the short amount of time they have left, and they enjoy eating again. Such a sad disease...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 11:45 AM

2,063 posts, read 5,997,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda C. View Post
Im sitting here crying my eyes out after reading all your posts about your animals. I was just told that my beloved dog has lymphoma cancer. its amazing at the day to day change in him, he is now completely blind and failing very quickly my heart breaks for I will not let him suffer any longer today is Wednesday Friday I have to do something I have NEVER expierenced before, I must put in gods loving hands. Roscoe is my everything he has always been there for me I was in a horible accident my dog never left my side for over 2 months he had to be carried out of my home hospital bed to just go outside.Hes been a good good boy.
I'm so sorry Linda. I realize this is an old thread and the OP isn't around anymore, but I wanted to respond to your post. We lost our sweet girl, Haley, a chocolate lab about 1 year ago to lymphoma at the early age of 7. She battled it for about 6 months after diagnosis. We tried 3 different types of treatments. We took her to UT-Knoxville vet school to give her the best treatment possible. I didn't like the way the last round of treatments effected her. With the other treatments, I didn't notice any ill effects. The third one I could really tell that she was being poisoned. I stopped treatment at that point. She lasted about 3 weeks after quitting treatment and just giving her prednisone. She seemed pretty normal...a little less of her energetic self but very comfortable and happy until the last few days. Then it was like her body just gave up overnight. Literally, we took her for a 2 mile walk one day and the next morning she could not stand up under her own power. We nursed her back to a comfortable state, said our goodbyes and let her go a few days later.

I wouldn't go through what we did again. If I have a dog diagnosed with cancer and it was at the stage that her's was, I would simply make the dog as comfortable as possible until it was time. It was simply too hard on her and us.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:14 PM

1 posts, read 9,387 times
I am so glad I found this! My BABY Raleigh, a beagle mix that I love with all my heart has lymphoma. The pathology came back on Monday.I am numb. She is ony 7, she was just at the vet a few months ago. She had an eye hemmorarage and I noticed the swollen nodes. The vets said they were all blown up. He also said he would not put his dog thru chemo. Her breathing is a little harder. He has told me the signs. My Mom died of COPD so if she has difficulty breathing that may send me over the edge.I keep hearing 6 weeks, maybe. But some of you sound like you had more time. What should I look for day in day out? I am so turned upside down. Why her???

Old 06-04-2009, 02:13 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,082,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagmorebarkless View Post
I am so glad I found this! My BABY Raleigh, a beagle mix that I love with all my heart has lymphoma. The pathology came back on Monday.I am numb. She is ony 7, she was just at the vet a few months ago. She had an eye hemmorarage and I noticed the swollen nodes. The vets said they were all blown up. He also said he would not put his dog thru chemo. Her breathing is a little harder. He has told me the signs. My Mom died of COPD so if she has difficulty breathing that may send me over the edge.I keep hearing 6 weeks, maybe. But some of you sound like you had more time. What should I look for day in day out? I am so turned upside down. Why her???
I'm sorry about your pet, sent you a DM.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:59 AM

8 posts, read 19,723 times
I have a spaniel mix. Buddy is aproximately 11 years old. He didnt join our family until 4 years ago. A little over a week ago he was diagnosed with lymphoma stage II. He was coughing for a couple weeks and the night before we tooking in coughed a lot all night. Before that it was oxcasssional. Initially they thought it was bronchitia. He was put on an antibiotic and prednisone. It did help with the coughing and breathing. We started chemo last monday. Buddy did well for the week other than a couple tummy issues and being more tired than he used to be. We went today andthey could not do the chemo because his blood count had dropped from 9000 neutrophils to 2300. The normal is 2000-12000. He was concerned and is waiting til friday. Dogs chemo usually does not cause side effecta like people. 75% of animaals dont have any side effects. There is a 10% chance ofa cure. With treatment life exectancy is 12-18 months at this stage. The cost is more the larger the dog. Buddy is 38 pounds. His total treatmeny over 26 weeks is about $4500. He was only expected to survive 6-8 weeks without treatment. That is about 10% of most dogs lifes. I also chhanged his diet. If you want to know what i use to support the chemo treatment let me know.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:45 PM

3 posts, read 24,814 times
We're still waiting on the test results for our beagle but the doc said he was 90% sure he had lymphoma. All his lymph nodes are swollen and hard. He is also blind. He doesn't act sick and is still eating and drinking a TON of water. Almost a gallon a day. He is also peeing in the house which he NEVER does. He has access to a doggie door and knows where it is. Being blind hasn't stopped him from getting where he needs to go. His breath is REALLY BAD...not sure why but read in another post that it's not a good sign. The doc is NOT recommending treatment. That says something right there. He doesn't cry or act like he's in any pain. But how would we know... I don't want him to suffer so we're watching him closely. THe doc wanted me to give him 1/2 of a steroid pill and I did...just 1 pill and he peed in the house that evening and the next evening and he only had the 1 pill..There is no way that would cause him to pee in the house. So I'm thinking it must be something else. He also has a lump on his eyelid..just showed up one day. No clue why. And his chest looks like it has a lump in it. I guess that's the lymph node in his chest. My husband and I have been talking about what we'll do from the moment we knew something was wrong. I've already talked to the doc about putting him to sleep and cremation. We want him to live with us always.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:52 PM

We're still waiting on the test results for our beagle but the doc said he was 90% sure he had lymphoma. All his lymph nodes are swollen and hard. He is also blind. He doesn't act sick and is still eating and drinking a TON of water. Almost a gallon a day. He is also peeing in the house which he NEVER does. He has access to a doggie door and knows where it is. Being blind hasn't stopped him from getting where he needs to go. His breath is REALLY BAD...not sure why but read in another post that it's not a good sign. The doc is NOT recommending treatment. That says something right there. He doesn't cry or act like he's in any pain. But how would we know... I don't want him to suffer so we're watching him closely. THe doc wanted me to give him 1/2 of a steroid pill and I did...just 1 pill and he peed in the house that evening and the next evening and he only had the 1 pill..There is no way that would cause him to pee in the house. So I'm thinking it must be something else. He also has a lump on his eyelid..just showed up one day. No clue why. And his chest looks like it has a lump in it. I guess that's the lymph node in his chest. My husband and I have been talking about what we'll do from the moment we knew something was wrong. I've already talked to the doc about putting him to sleep and cremation. We want him to live with us always.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:58 PM

We do love our pets so much..My heart is broken over my sweet beagle.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 8,089 times
Default So confused

Our 5 year old duck tolling retriever mix, the love of our lives got diagnosed with lymphoma this week, after showing no signs until we had to take her to the emergency vet for a prolapsed anus. The emergency vet said her lymphnodes were normal, but by the time we took her to our regular vet for follow up on the prolapse and hookworm infection found the next morning, they were already swollen and doubled in size over the weekend. We took her in and had an aspirate of her nodes to get the diagnosis. The diagnosis of t-cell vs b-cell has been a bit obscured due to us starting her on prednisole right away. I'm torn up inside and can't figure out how to treat this. Our family (including a vet and my dad who went through chemo with his old pup) is telling us not to go down the chemo route. The prednisole is not helping with the prolapse and the local vets keep trying to encourage us to at least start with chemo which may or may not help with the prolapse for now. I can't imagine having to drive her to the vet with a prolapsed anus (for the 3rd, 4th, 5th... time) tail wagging, head out the window to put her down, but I don't know that I can justify putting her through chemo to maybe make her somewhat better before the cancer starts to rage again! How can I make this decision??? I can't even tell what my heart and gut are telling me because I'm so sick over this. If we could cure her, there would be no question, but to only prolong her life, potentially adding pain and suffering....agh! It's not fair that this happens to any creature, and to one so young and full of life still. Everything was fine 2 weeks ago. Crap....

Old 01-07-2013, 04:38 PM

1 posts, read 7,104 times
Hi , My name is Sabrina. I have a dog named Sasha.I'm 14 years old , & I'm in highschool . My dog is my baby , she has been with me since i was in 3rd grade , now im in 9th . so we've been through alot. like i said she is my baby . my dog has a lymphoma , me being 14 i didnt know what i meant , just that she was okaay . like 5 days after new years eve , she started acting different , my dog is wild and friendly . oh by the way she is 9 . yeah shes pretty old , but not in my eyes . she started acting different , she's lazier , doesnt move , and hasn't eaten in 3 days , she does her business in her cage , she doesnt come when you call her . and usually when you call her , she jumps up soo fast . i tried motivating her w/ crackers . but nothing . at this point i hadn't told my parents anything , her lymphoma has gotten bigger , it worries me . soo i googled ,how to know when your dog is in its last days , all the symptoms matched every thing she has been doing , i broke down in tears , to think my baby is gonna die . soo i told my mom , she research things , and shes a nurse , so shes a little advanced , has a wider spand of knowledge this topic. to remove the lump , its like 2,500 , and we dont have that kind of money , my mom keeps telling me we have to put her down , but this is my baby your talking about , i cant let her go , but i dont want her to suffer , my baby is in pain , but i just pray every time i look at her that God deliver her , cause im not ready to let go , actually i'll never be ready . im i tears right now and my baby is in my lap breathing real hard . idont want to let her , i don't know why things like this happen . my mom keeps saying she'll buy me another dog , but another dog will not even , it cant replace her & the love behind it . she doesn't get it , her telling me she'll buy a new dog , is like if i die , she will never be able to replace me or the love she has for me , please pray for me and my baby ,i just hope they'll find a cure for this , i cant let my baby go ):
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs