U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 08:52 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,904,594 times

Advertisements

I've always used both an ID tag & license... and my cat who goes outside wears a tag as well (the indoor cat doesn't). They're microchipped too, but this reminds me - I need to update my WAY old information!

Of course, the microchip did no good when (my kitty) Gizmo died... she was picked up by Animal Control after getting hit by a car, and they didn't bother to check for a microchip. One frantic week later, I finally found out what had happened - only because I went to the ASPCA and checked their DOA list. When I asked why I hadn't been contacted, they said "we don't check microchips if they're already dead." Well, don't they think the owner MIGHT LIKE TO KNOW?? Argh. My sister works as a city attorney, and actually put a clause in their local Animal Control bylaws because of this... called "The Gizmo Clause," it states that officers must check for microchips in DOAs, and all trucks are equipped with a portable device. At least something good came from it, I guess. Anyway, just thought I'd give you all a heads-up about that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 10:03 PM

12,386 posts, read 31,337,219 times
SWB Tags can be removed or lost...tatoos can be changed....Micro chips can become out dated/cause tumors & be removed! IF someone is out to steal your pet there are ways to get around anything that you do to get them back. BUT IF your dog is truely lost or stolen by the adverage person a tatoo Can be seen by the adv person! The adv person on the street will make a call place ads, etc IF they can see a tatoo. The adv person is not going to pay a vet to check for a micro chip...
I have had dogs lost returned & dogs stollen that got reported by a friend and/or neighbors. So I know from 20+ yrs experance that tatoos work. I also know people that lost dogs & never seen again! I had a friend that her Belgin Shephard was stollen 10 yrs later the person dumped the dog at the pound...because he was old they told the pound to just put himto sleep... well after those people left some one scanned the dog...well all my girlfriend could do was cry for days.....10 yrs of worring about the dog that lived 2 blocks away!! All the people would tell us the dog followed their kid home! The only vet the dog seen never bothered to check for the chip!

Old 05-18-2008, 05:57 AM

1,738 posts, read 7,496,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I've always used both an ID tag & license... and my cat who goes outside wears a tag as well (the indoor cat doesn't). They're microchipped too, but this reminds me - I need to update my WAY old information!

Of course, the microchip did no good when (my kitty) Gizmo died... she was picked up by Animal Control after getting hit by a car, and they didn't bother to check for a microchip. One frantic week later, I finally found out what had happened - only because I went to the ASPCA and checked their DOA list. When I asked why I hadn't been contacted, they said "we don't check microchips if they're already dead." Well, don't they think the owner MIGHT LIKE TO KNOW?? Argh. My sister works as a city attorney, and actually put a clause in their local Animal Control bylaws because of this... called "The Gizmo Clause," it states that officers must check for microchips in DOAs, and all trucks are equipped with a portable device. At least something good came from it, I guess. Anyway, just thought I'd give you all a heads-up about that!
thats horrible. I'm so sorry about your cat!
Well I only posted this because I thought it was cool my phone number is attached to my dog rather then having to go through the pound to find his owner( of course his other tags are their as well). ...anything can be removed or whatever but its one more step in my mind to keep him safe. ...I don't plan on loosing him ever.
Before they found this my parents use to write their numbers on the inside of their collars just as another way to get their dogs back.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:15 PM

2,981 posts, read 6,463,673 times
I found a dog recently and he had a tag of a chip company on his collar, but no other identifying info. I called the 1-800 number for the microchip company and after giving them the registration number on the tag, they said they would contact the owner and call me back after they made contact. It took over 24 hours! Fortunately I could care for the dog at my house (he was great!) so he never had to go to the pound, vet or shelter, but I would have much preferred (and I'm sure "Vernon" would have as well)if I could have just called the owner myself! I think a tag with your cell phone number is the quickest way to reunite with your lost pet!

Old 05-18-2008, 09:35 PM

62 posts, read 180,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I found a dog recently and he had a tag of a chip company on his collar, but no other identifying info. I called the 1-800 number for the microchip company and after giving them the registration number on the tag, they said they would contact the owner and call me back after they made contact. It took over 24 hours! Fortunately I could care for the dog at my house (he was great!) so he never had to go to the pound, vet or shelter, but I would have much preferred (and I'm sure "Vernon" would have as well)if I could have just called the owner myself! I think a tag with your cell phone number is the quickest way to reunite with your lost pet!
Can you tell me what company that was? My dog has a Home Again chip. I know there is a phone number, but I also thought a person could check her ID number on the website and get more information. (Oh, my dog also has a blingy name tag with my phone number on it)

Old 05-19-2008, 05:27 AM

2,981 posts, read 6,463,673 times
Sorry, I don't remember the name of the company. It was a small white tag with orange lettering and the phone number and chip registration number were in raised letters so they wouldn't wear off. I remember thinking at the time that someone who wasn't all that familiar with dogs might not even know what that tag meant. I never even thought to check a website!

Also, my previous post wasn't very clear. I think micro-chipping is very, very important for pets - I just meant that including your cell phone number might reunite you more quickly for the average ran off in the neighborhood events.

Thanks

Old 05-19-2008, 02:14 PM

12,386 posts, read 31,337,219 times
When I got Katie my vet gave me a tag...as long as we never change phone numbers or address you could go on the web I find the information about us. Well when she was a yr old I changed my number...no way to change it on the web site....when we moved I tossed it!!

Old 07-20-2008, 10:17 AM

12 posts, read 72,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
i meant to write this months ago!

Cody has a up to date license tag but on top of that we had a tag made at walmart that says his name and my cell phone number. I think its a great idea.
My mom had tags made for all the dogs in the family(her kids dogs included):d

i trust the pound but isn't it awesome that my direct phone number is on there.
I'll never change my cell number!!!!
there also is a device that goes under the skin about the size of a grain of rice that you could use as well as the dog tags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or