Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 08:31 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,274,012 times

Advertisements

I want to know the success of whistle training.
Whistles commands(w/ mouth or dog whistle) compared to vocal commands.

Just wondering...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 11:26 AM

795 posts, read 4,536,783 times
i'm sure that someone else can give you better info on this than i can, but what i will say is this:

i trained my shih tzu to emergency-come at the sound of a three-note whistle (me whistling, not a doggy whistle), and he will stop what he is doing and come from anywhere, anytime immediately at the sound of this whistle.

i am actually sort of shocked, but he's eleven now and this whistle has never failed. i enforce it by playing hide-and-seek with him in the house, whistling until he finds me, and then giving him treats.

don't know if this helps, but that's really all if know about using whistling for commands.

Last edited by barndog; 05-19-2008 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-19-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barndog View Post
i'm sure that someone else can give you better info on this than i can, but what i will say is this:

i trained my shih tzu to emergency-come at the sound of a three-note whistle (me whistling, not a doggy whistle), and he will stop what he is doing and come from anywhere, anytime immediately at the sound of this whistle.

i am actually sort of shocked, but he's eleven now and this whistle has never failed. i enforce it by playing hide-and-seek with him in the house, whistling until he finds me, and then giving him treats.

don't know if this helps, but that's really all if know about using whistling for commands.
thanks! Thats pretty cool

Old 05-19-2008, 02:09 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Kelly check out Sheepdog training...all trained the herd with whistles...

Old 05-19-2008, 05:48 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,524,248 times
My friend does birddogs with whistle and hand signals. I know one I have works good with this that had been trained by him. They get out so far whistle and point hand 1 direction or another they will go that way or double whistle and come back til hit 1 whistle again and turn them.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:10 PM

thanks everyone.
I noticed this weekend when the doggies started running away our voices lost value but when my Dad steped out and whistled Cody and two others of the four turned around and shot back to us. We fed them hamburger for this!!!

They have all been tricky to get a good recall with and I say its because all of them where older when we adopted them ...regardless, my Cody perked up, stopped in his tracks and shot right back to us.

We have one whistle that calls Cody in ...I think I'm gonna start enforcing it more after watching them react to my Dads whistle. We call him in with a whistle and give him a treat but I just wanted more info.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:53 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Could be he was trained to come to a whistle before you got him....

Old 05-19-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Could be he was trained to come to a whistle before you got him....
Thats what I was thinking Katie!!!! Wouldn't that be neat!!!!

We haven't found his "nitch" that he totally responds to and honestly thats ok we just keep ruling things out. He's toy driven if you are running w/ a toy, he's food driven until he sees something he wants to chase and then he spits out the food and words while they work aren't a strong meaning to him like some dogs.

But I did some whistle stuff today. I would whistle and then give him a treat when he came and he was crazy about it and I almost think its more about the whistle then the treat. I'm gonna keep playing with it and SLLOOOWWWLLLYYY add distractions. Todays distraction was my husband and he totally left him to come and find me when I whistled. We are playing alot of hide n seek. I'm going to keep researching it.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:45 AM

1,554 posts, read 4,549,887 times
What type of whistle are you using? a dog whistle or toy whistle?? This is interesting because I can't whistle a damn.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareybear View Post
What type of whistle are you using? a dog whistle or toy whistle?? This is interesting because I can't whistle a damn.
I can whistle really loud!

I looked at whistles online and they range between a dollar and 30
Just look up dog whistles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs