U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 07:13 PM

210 posts, read 678,359 times

Advertisements

Need some help folks, i am looking at getting a puppy for my 6 year old son and have been looking at Boxers. I have heard that they are great with kids, but are hyper in nature. I also heard they love to dig and cause havoc, and love to jump(i've been told up to 6 feet). Any Boxer owners out there with some personal experiances would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 08:27 PM

1,479 posts, read 7,015,654 times
I know you probably won't want to hear this, but you'd be better off getting an older dog with a proven track record with children. Puppies are a LOT of work to raise properly. They need to be socialized, they chew, they need housebreaking, they need to learn bite inhibition....the list goes on and on. Puppies are by nature hyper. They need lots of exercise, and they need training. If you adopt an older dog, it will bond with your child just as strongly as a puppy would, and it will be far less work for you. An older dog will be past the puppy issues and thus will be far less volatile. Best of all, with an older dog, what you see is what you will get. With a puppy, you never know.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:47 PM

202 posts, read 765,720 times
I had a Boxer from puppyhood. He was soooo cute!! He was such a great dog!! But he hated to be left alone and when he was alone, he chewed and ripped up our house to pieces. He was really great with the neighborhood kids too. They all loved my Boxer.(he was such a silly clown)But, he died at 10 yrs old from cancer and the vet said that he sees many boxers and bulldogs with cancer. He literally called Boxers, "cancer factories"...It was so sad that I never wanted to get another boxer again.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:44 PM

19 posts, read 42,503 times
We have a boxer that is a little over a year. And he's been amazing. He was house broken within 10 days and he's extremely smart. Very hyper though. He plays nonstop if there is someone or something else (any other dog) to play with. My friend has a boxer and by the time he was 1 he was calm. I've heard though they can take up to 3 years old before they even settle down. They're great with kids. We dont have any children, but he has been around children and has been very gentle with them. We actually just got a new boxer pup this weekend. Good luck with whatever dog you choose!

Old 05-19-2008, 10:10 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,163,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aween View Post
I had a Boxer from puppyhood. He was soooo cute!! He was such a great dog!! But he hated to be left alone and when he was alone, he chewed and ripped up our house to pieces. He was really great with the neighborhood kids too. They all loved my Boxer.(he was such a silly clown)But, he died at 10 yrs old from cancer and the vet said that he sees many boxers and bulldogs with cancer. He literally called Boxers, "cancer factories"...It was so sad that I never wanted to get another boxer again.
My vet has told me the same thing about Boxers and cancer .

Old 05-19-2008, 10:25 PM

2,588 posts, read 4,935,379 times
Hi. I just posted something earlier today about my boxer.

I have one who is nearing 6 years and he's fantastic with my two children, who are 3 and 1. He is about the calmest boxer you could meet, so I am blessed. He's still a total goon, mind you. Boxers' puppyhood tends to last longer than in other breeds, but it's part of their charm. Be prepared for lots of activity, but a 6-year-old just might be the perfect companion. I can only tell you my experience. My dog might be a saint, as he has never been destructive. He did dig holes in our yard early on, so we had to watch him closely to stop that. But, he has never chewed anything in the house and that includes the children's stuffed animals. He allows the girls to climb all over him, is very protective of them, loves children of all ages, and has been a lot of fun. If he could jump 6 feet, he has no idea. He tends to bounce up and down a lot and has knocked over the kids out of excitement, but has never hurt them. The toddler thinks it's funny and really has a lot of fun with him.

Boxers are prone to cancer and heart disease, but you'll find that most pure bred dogs have issues. The life expectancy is about 8 years, I believe. I hope mine goes longer, but dogs don't have a sense of time. It's just our wish that he'll live a long, happy life with us and we'll be there for him regardless of what happens with his health; he's family.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:49 AM

7,542 posts, read 16,353,360 times
I would differ and say its better to get a young pup with your child, that way the pup can grow up with the child, and the childs habits. WHereas if you get an older dog you might get one that is set in its ways, its a 50/50 with getting an older dog.

All pups destroy things if their energy isnt harnessed every day. If you let your child play with the dog (under supervision) they can usually wear each other out which is pretty good. Ive got a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and got him when my sons where 1 and 3 years old and they do great together, wearing each other out. They can jump 6 feet too, but you have to correct that issue with training. Reward 4 feet on ground and ignore and dont give attention to no feed on the ground or two feet.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:08 AM

1,738 posts, read 7,497,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I would differ and say its better to get a young pup with your child, that way the pup can grow up with the child, and the childs habits. WHereas if you get an older dog you might get one that is set in its ways, its a 50/50 with getting an older dog.

All pups destroy things if their energy isnt harnessed every day. If you let your child play with the dog (under supervision) they can usually wear each other out which is pretty good. Ive got a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and got him when my sons where 1 and 3 years old and they do great together, wearing each other out. They can jump 6 feet too, but you have to correct that issue with training. Reward 4 feet on ground and ignore and dont give attention to no feed on the ground or two feet.
I totally agree w/ Brian!!!!!
if your up o the puppy work and want a puppy I say get a puppy. Teach your 6 year old how to take care of it(w/ your help). They will get each others energy out.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:34 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,186,613 times
I grew up with Boxers and still have one now Millie is nearly 11 !!! so is doing well and she is a white Boxer with a red ear.
Boxers are brilliant with everyone they love people but the one thing you need to remember with Boxers is that they need to know from day one who the boss is - and that is isn't them !!! lol
That is when you have problems and people saying Boxers are hyper etc.
Millie has never chewed anything, well apart from tucking into a box of chocolates once !!! But we always used a crate for her when we were out until she was about 6, now she has the run of the house.
Do go to a good breeder and they should have had their pups heart tested.
Cancer is common in lots of breeds including humans so that really cannot be avoided. Just make sure you feed it a good brand of food and no human food.
Boxers can live to 13 with a healthy life and they don't need loads of exercise .
Attached Thumbnails
Help with getting new puppy-dogs-021.jpg  

Old 05-20-2008, 02:27 PM

4,654 posts, read 15,739,611 times
Boxers are fun, loving creatures. If you decide to go with one, as with any pup, do yourself a favor and go through obedience classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or