U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 08:17 PM

960 posts, read 1,353,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGal05 View Post
I know that a dog can be depressed mine was. ( He actually just passed on Monday morning about midnight, One a.m) my mom had put him to sleep. But she just went through this big move and my dog acted a little weird at first, but when you get settled just give them the most love you can, make sure things they aren't use to they get use to them first, my dog wasn't use to the wooden floors thats kinda how he passed away. But yea like rooms they have never been in keep those closed like if you and ur hubby go to work all day then when you get home let them check them out ( the rooms) while your there. So you can make sure everything is ok. Dogs (I dont think) like change, or atleast drastict change. Just let them know you love them
Sorry for your loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 08:26 PM

5,137 posts, read 8,659,414 times
Smile Depressed dogs....

Try taking them to a dog park or somewhere there are other dogs. As soon as they are with you, they will come around but any change is hard. We bring our dogs to the office at night sometimes and while they are fine here, they can't wait to get home!

In 2005, one of our Shelties, age 10, passed away. Murphy, our 4 year old Sheltie, was so down. He put his head down all the time. My husband would laugh when I said he was depressed but now I hear him talk about that time to clients and what we did. One weekend, we took our kids and Murphy the Sheltie to a dog beach in Bonita Springs, FL near Naples. We stayed in a dog friendly hotel (believe it or not, it was the Ritz - maybe, that's why he had such a good time!) and we had so much fun at the dog beach. He perked up and played with other dogs and got happy again.

Then, 4 months later, we got Madison, our teeny weeny adorable Sheltie who is now 2. She and Murphy are inseparatable!

I'm so glad you guys have two - and Labs and pugs are wonderful dogs. My brother had a Lab and a pug too!

Old 05-21-2008, 06:15 AM

1,738 posts, read 7,497,483 times
Cody gets sad if he's stuck inside all day ...UNLESS we start running in cirlces.
Play inside when you can't go outside. During hurricane days we move furniture so we can run around the house w/ him. ..sounds weird but its his favorite indoors game. Sometimes my hub play bows at him and then pounces on him and Cody is wagging his tail and growling his play growl the whole time. ....be silly in the house and depressed doggie w/ be the lab clown he is.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:22 AM

423 posts, read 1,324,631 times
Joansue, is it possible that a squirrel or something got into the walls or the attic and the dog is trying to get to it? If you're in a rural area I know that can happen sometimes. I imagine that would drive a lab crazy.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:34 AM

40,008 posts, read 24,261,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitz View Post
Joansue, is it possible that a squirrel or something got into the walls or the attic and the dog is trying to get to it? If you're in a rural area I know that can happen sometimes. I imagine that would drive a lab crazy.
I was going to suggest the same thing. Or there may be a mouse or critter in the garage, and he's trying to get in there to investigate. The fact that he is so determined and that this is outside of normal behavior really points to this.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:43 AM

2 posts, read 3,590 times
Thanks for all the helpful hints re my daughter's lab clawing a hole through the drywall....and sorry I am not taken time to reply.

Believe the problem is solved (at least it appears to be) and it is such a simple solution. We check for squirrels (thanks misfitz) and several of you have indicated a noise could be the problem which it was and

SeeBee you were right on the nose with the comment of.......
"He's obviously incrediby desperate to get out of that house for some reason, and is in a panic..." Thank You

The smoke detector's battery was low in the basement area. The basement door was closed so my daughter did not hear the beep but her Black Lab, Oreo, certainly did... and the poor thing was obviously strung out with the noise and just wanted to get away from it.

Love all your helpful little hints re toys, etc... and will pass along. We do watch her dogs occasionally so anything helps as we are out of practice. We lost our Siberian Husky about two years ago - she was my husband's best friend and I can't talk him into another dog. Maybe someday.

Thanks again Joan

Old 06-03-2008, 02:20 PM

1,087 posts, read 2,917,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joansue View Post
The smoke detector's battery was low in the basement area. The basement door was closed so my daughter did not hear the beep but her Black Lab, Oreo, certainly did... and the poor thing was obviously strung out with the noise and just wanted to get away from it.
My dog is terrified of the low battery beep too. Even if it's just one beep, he panics. The other day I was watching a TV show and there was a hospital scene where a piece of equipment beeped every now and then, and he got upset over that too. The dog I had before this one was the same way about beeps. The only beep my dog doesn't mind too much is the beep of the microwave, because that beep means yummy food.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:26 PM

125 posts, read 388,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnp View Post
My dog is terrified of the low battery beep too. Even if it's just one beep, he panics. The other day I was watching a TV show and there was a hospital scene where a piece of equipment beeped every now and then, and he got upset over that too. The dog I had before this one was the same way about beeps. The only beep my dog doesn't mind too much is the beep of the microwave, because that beep means yummy food.
You know thats funny because before Zeke passed he use to hate when I would let my cell phone get low or computer or anything with a beep. It scared him. He would jump at the head of my bed with me and he never layed there it was always by my feet but i knew when something was wrong when he would do that. Maybe it hurts their ears! haha I dont know but i thought he was the only one. I thought he was weird! haha

Old 06-05-2008, 10:37 AM

7,282 posts, read 17,213,871 times
Countrygal, sorry to hear about Zeke passing on. I know it's hard.

I also believe that we should talk to our pets and tell them what's happening. Somehow I think my dog understands and she's being so flexible.
We moved out of our house, took everything to NM to our new house, came back to close on the house and found out there were some problems that needed to be resolved so we're staying at my brothers house now.
Fortuneately, my dog went from a house that had a fenced yard to my brothers house that has a fenced yard and doggy door so she's done okay with that. She's also been back and forth to the house in NM. We were wondering how she would adjust at first but we had her crate, that she absolutely loves, her stuffed toys and some treats. We did whatever we could do to make her move happy. She did miss doing her business for a couple of days and I did a thread on that because I was worried too but I think eventually, they adjust.
Again, talk to your dog and let them know what's going on.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:08 PM

125 posts, read 388,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Countrygal, sorry to hear about Zeke passing on. I know it's hard.

I also believe that we should talk to our pets and tell them what's happening. Somehow I think my dog understands and she's being so flexible.
We moved out of our house, took everything to NM to our new house, came back to close on the house and found out there were some problems that needed to be resolved so we're staying at my brothers house now.
Fortuneately, my dog went from a house that had a fenced yard to my brothers house that has a fenced yard and doggy door so she's done okay with that. She's also been back and forth to the house in NM. We were wondering how she would adjust at first but we had her crate, that she absolutely loves, her stuffed toys and some treats. We did whatever we could do to make her move happy. She did miss doing her business for a couple of days and I did a thread on that because I was worried too but I think eventually, they adjust.
Again, talk to your dog and let them know what's going on.
Thank you so much, It hard. I had him for 10 years! I was 10 years old when I first got him! But thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or