U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 04:51 AM

1 posts, read 3,613 times

Advertisements

I will make this as brief as possible. I live in a very large former bed and breakfast, which now rents out several rooms. Another girl lives there also, she has two pitbull mixed dogs. One of which is an unfixed female and a fixed male both of which are aggressive to my pitt/rott unfixed male. I dont have him fixed for the reason that I want to breed him once.
The first time they two males got into it, her ***** was in heat!! She was told when she fitrst moved in( I lived here first) I had a large unfixed male and that she should check if my dog was out of my room before she lets hers out, and I would do the same. She just ignores my warning and let them out. Instant dog fight , two against 1. I let it go. The second time my dog was on a dog run out side. again her two dogs are let out and now attack Maxx while he was restrained. Now last night she was coming in the door, she did pop her head in to see if maxx was out . I was coming out of my room and told her maxx was in my room so it was ok to come through. Well she opened the door and her dog went charging straight to my door. The door wasnt all the way latched but maxx cant get the door to open from inside the room. Well her dog charged into the door and went and attacked my dog in his own room!!!
I am sooo sick of this and Maxx is not a fighter ( Althogh he could kill these dogs ) he doesnt hurt either of them. He does protect him self, but he has deep puncture wounds on his head and neck. I know that doesent feel good. The other dog owner is not a very responsible pet owner and I want to let Maxx just go for it but I restrain my dog for there protection, not to protect Maxx. But she's not getting it. Im tired of her animals inflicting injury's to mine. In MY room even!! What can I do?
Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 09:59 AM

1,709 posts, read 3,627,461 times
Sounds like a landlord problem to me. Pets in a rental room? Is that even fair to the pet or those other residents who don't own animals?

Old 05-21-2008, 10:15 AM

13,981 posts, read 32,765,487 times
I agree. I've never heard of pets in a rental room. I would talk to your landlord.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:24 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,869,550 times
People who live in boarding house rooms should not own dogs in my opinion. If I were you I would move to a place where the dog can have a yard and be safe. Also you need to get a backbone and stand up to this other irresponsible dog owner.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:47 AM

95 posts, read 343,820 times
ALL of you who say pets shouldn't be allowed in this situation, well, forget you, that is not a solution. To the OP, please educate yourself: NEUTER YOUR DOG. You don't breed a mutt, and 99% of purebreds should never be bred. Your dog will not miss his nuts. All you can do is worry about your dog, PROTECT your dog,and if the others get loose and cause you a problem, report it to the animal control, and/or the police, EVERY TIME. If you and your dog are minding your manners, and the moron with the other dogs is not controlling her dogs, she will be ticketed, and may have her dogs labeled "dangerous." It only takes a few visits from authorities for idiots to lose their dogs, as they should if they will not be responsible with them. Also, your landlord will get sick of the authorities visiting and then they should be more willing to get rid of the renter who is causing the problem, which seems to be the one with the two out-of-control dogs.
However, if you do not educate yourself about being a responsible pet owner, and get your dog neutered, then there will not be enough operating brain cells to intelligently deal with this unfortunate situation, which is caused by low pet-owner IQ.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:15 PM

239 posts, read 1,184,156 times
Neutering and spaying of ALL 'pet' dogs should be a requirement, in my opinion, with no exceptions. This should be a requirement for licensing and those who do not license their dogs should, upon discovery, be fined.

Only some breeders should be 'permitted' to breed dogs, and breeding permits should be very hard to obtain. As theRain's mentioned, 99% of purebred dogs should not be bred, and many--if not most--are being bred in puppy-mill situations.

Pet owners have no damn business aiding overpopulation of dogs and cats by not neutering and/or spaying their pets. There are a zillion dogs waiting to be adopted in our shelters, while thousands, this very minute, are being euthanized because there are no homes for them. And yet people think that it's okay to breed their mixed breed dogs, and aggressive dogs at that, willy-nilly like. Give me a break. I really get angry when I read stuff like this.

Both kanuhak and her neighbor are to blame for their fighting dog situation. Kanuhak should have her dog neutered, and her neighbor should have her female spayed. Furthermore, as others here have expressed, the living situation these two are subjecting their large dogs to is inappropriate. Dogs are not meant to live in one little room. Pitbulls are, by nature, aggressive (I don't care what anyone says, they are bred to be aggressive), and they will fight when given the opportunity, regardless of what the situation is. That's why many communities are cracking down on pitbull dog ownership, some even completely banning them from their communities. This includes mixed breeds where pitbull breeding is obviously dominant.

This is a bad situation that will get worse before it ever gets better. Someone is eventually going to get hurt by these dogs, but it will be the dogs who will ultimately pay the price for the bad decisions made by their clueless 'humans.'

Old 05-22-2008, 10:44 AM

2,891 posts, read 4,189,061 times
I think the whole thing comes down to being a responsible pet owner. Dogs will act like dogs to expect otherwise is ignorant, understand your pets behavior and take the correct actions. When you put two males with in eye shot of each other with a ***** in heat your asking for trouble.
As far as spaying or neutering your pet, that should be left up to the "responsible" pet owner not the county or state government.
Kanuhak, it sounds like your neighbor falls into the area of "Irresponsible", if she can not control her pets she has no business having pets. Call animal control and file a complaint with them, keep calling them every time something happens, you will get action. Just make sure your s*** is in order.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:23 AM

239 posts, read 1,184,156 times
In an ideal world, people act responsibly. Left to their own devices, people--in an ideal world--do the right thing. In this case the right thing to do would be to spay/neuter their dogs, keep them under control, provide them the proper obedience training, and don't place them in situations where their natural instincts will produce negative, harmful consequences for dog and human alike. Also provide them with an appropriate environment, a place where they can run and let off energy.

In an ideal world--we would never need 'government' for anything, or at least very little, because in that ideal world, people do the right thing and everyone gets along.

We do not live in an ideal world. Left to their own devices, people do not do the right thing, but will do what they deem is best for their own situation, for their own profit or benefit, or else, such as in this case, they are clueless as to what the right thing is (to spay and neuter, etc.).

We see this time & time again, on a small as well as a large scale. Left to their own policing, corporations pollute. Allowed to regulate themself, oil companies hike up prices and airlines stop maintaining their equipment.

Thus, we need 'laws.' And we need government to enforce them. Because, we cannot sort out the 'responsible' people from the 'irresponsible'. There are just too many of the latter to deal with.

Animal control will not step in until someone has been hurt, bitten, or otherwise harmed. Do you really want to wait until that happens?

Old 05-23-2008, 10:39 AM

95 posts, read 343,820 times
I hope the OP has reported these 2 neighbor dogs to the PD by now, that is often the only way to get people to pull their head out, or at least move on.

While I think most pets should be spayed or neutered, I do not agree with it being a law to do so. It is all about responsible owners, and if an owner lets an intact male or female dog roam, they should lose it, or pay a HUGE fine.

I own a 2 yr old intact male, purebred dog, and a 8 yr old neutered male dog. My younger dog is not neutered because I show him in AKC breed shows, and they cannot be neutered, as those shows are designed to judge breeding quality.
My dog is over halfway to earning his AKC championship. Due to my location and business demands, I cannot show him as often as I would like. If I could be showing him every month, he would be a "champion" by now, in the breed ring. After he attains his AKC Champion title, I may or may not breed him, but many other factors will be considered, such as: has he been certified free of any hereditary faults common with his breed? This breed is tested for many things, and he has been certiified clear of all but one we haven't done yet. I am not terribly interested in breeding, but I am in showing. If, after he earns his breed title, I will probably neuter him. I do not feel I need to breed him just because I paid a healthy price for him. Mainly, he is an incredible joy to have around everyday, and that is due to his good breeding. His good looks are just the icing on the cake, which is comprised of health, intelligence, and general personality. These things were due to careful, selective breeding.
But, I am a responsible dog owner. THis dog is NEVER, EVER out of my sight unless he is secured in my home when I am not home. THere is NO chance of him breeding anything. I work on training him everyday to minimize the effects of testosterone on his attitude! He gets LOTS of supervised and creative exercise. So, having the local government tell me I have to neuter this dog just because I don't have a breeding/kennel license, that is BS.
Unfortunately, the average dog owner isn't as careful as I am, and anyone who is any less careful should never own an unaltered dog or cat.

Also, I wanted to address whoever said that dogs shouldn't live in a small rented room. Well, the fact that these dogs go out and cause a problem at least tells you that they do get out of the room.
A dog can happily live in a car, for that matter. If they get adequate exercise and mental stimulation, a dog living with it's owner in a car can be much happier and healthier than a dog living in a McMansion who is banished to the back yard. The dog wants and needs to be with it's owner, and they are a creature that sleeps the majority of each 24 hrs in a day.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:49 AM

394 posts, read 1,334,134 times
I agree with the others that:

1) The dogs shouldn't be living in one small cramped rented room, they need more room than that to thrive. This may be one of the reasons they attack each other, they need more outlet for their energy.

2) The dogs should be spayed/neutered. There are too many unwanted dogs and cats already in this world, we should be doing our best to adopt them out of shelters rather than breeding more animals "just because we want to". Think about it this way, if your dog has a litter of six puppies, and even if you find homes for all six, that's six dogs in the shelters already that won't have found homes and may end up being destroyed. The hormones created when a pet is left intact cause it more stress than is necessary. The responsible thing as a pet owner and a pet lover is to get them fixed.

3) Both pets should always be on leashes unless they are in a confined area like a dog run unless you can trust them to be in the presence of other people and other animals off leash.

4) Animal control needs to be contacted BEFORE somebody gets hurts, whether because the dogs attack them or because a person tries to break up a dog fight and gets injured in the process. Explain the situation to them and ask for their help in resolving it.

5) The landlord seriously needs to rethink his/her pet policy and start setting some rules aimed toward a better pet co-existence in the house. Start communicating with them and try to work out a better way to live with other animals in the house.

6) Both pet owners need to be more responsible. Pet ownership isn't just a pleasure, it comes with responsibilities. Animals will act like animals. Just like their parents, it's up to us to train them from an early age on what is acceptable behavior and what is not if they are to live in close proximity to us and to other animals. We're the ones who put them into unnatural situations, and it's up to us to help the animals adapt to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or