U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2008, 02:09 PM

5,356 posts, read 16,293,095 times

Advertisements

We recently rescued a 3 y.o. German Shepherd about a month ago. One thing we’ve noticed is that he really “likes” puppies. The problem is that we don’t know if it’s a good like or bad like. I first noticed it when he met three dogs on a walk, he gave a sniff towards the older dogs and then spent the rest of his time with the pup. He normally does well in obedience training, but if there’s a young pup in class, his attention focuses on the pup. The instructor isn’t sure about his puppy fetish and neither am I, so needless to say, puppy meetings aren’t going to happen. Has anyone else seen this with their dogs? How did you handle it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 08:37 PM

3,412 posts, read 9,194,375 times
I have 2 GSD, my female doesn't like little dogs, unless she knows them.
My male can care less, he does like to play with any dog as long as dog is not submissive and is up for a challenge.

As far as puppy obsession, well, your GSD may be have his own little things going, doesn't really mean good or bad. GDS's are very slow maturing dogs, so they might find puppies more playful and interesting then older dogs.

I wouldn't worry about it as long as it's just a play thing and not an aggression.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:42 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,148,435 times
Some dogs love puppies, mine do. From a distance, they'll even confuse a small dog as being a puppy and it isn't until we're closer that they realize it's an adult.

From that point, depending on the vibe the small dog is giving out, they either still really like the small dog or they want nothing to do with him/her.

If someone can hold the puppy and bring it closer to your dog while you are restraining your dog, then maybe you can see what your dog wants, he might want to groom the puppy, he might want to dominate the puppy...hard to say.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:40 PM

1,587 posts, read 6,671,662 times
My female as a pup even was scared of smaller dogs and other pups but would walk up to a big mean drooling mastiff. Was to funny, now she handles them well.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:27 PM

32,409 posts, read 17,714,680 times
Why would you say puppy meetings aren't going to happen?

Your GSD is naturally curious and puppies are just as curious. I don't understand why you would try and limit the interaction, unless you see your GSD behaving innapropriately, i.e. aggressively or too rough. Maybe puppies are more interesting than chew toys.

Our GSD is obsessed with our male cat. Always has been ever since we brought her home at 4 months. She grooms the cat constantly with her teeth.

When our female GSD was 3 yrs old, she was still like a puppy in her actions. Always running around. Now she is 4 and she is still a big baby. We don't see too many puppies though.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:31 PM

10,732 posts, read 31,706,212 times
I have heard of male dogs almost behaving motherly toward puppies. It sounds very sweet.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:06 AM

5,356 posts, read 16,293,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Why would you say puppy meetings aren't going to happen?

Your GSD is naturally curious and puppies are just as curious. I don't understand why you would try and limit the interaction, unless you see your GSD behaving innapropriately, i.e. aggressively or too rough. Maybe puppies are more interesting than chew toys.

Our GSD is obsessed with our male cat. Always has been ever since we brought her home at 4 months. She grooms the cat constantly with her teeth.

When our female GSD was 3 yrs old, she was still like a puppy in her actions. Always running around. Now she is 4 and she is still a big baby. We don't see too many puppies though.
I really don't think he'll do anything bad when meeting a puppy. What's going to stop any meetings is the look on the puppy owner's face when they see a big GSD running up to check their pup out.

I agree he's acting puppy-like at 3 y.o. Half of me likes to see it and the other half would like him to be more mature, but he is who he is.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:46 PM

161 posts, read 348,478 times
I have an almost 10mnth male GSD who has similar issues with small dogs, puppies or submissive dogs. He is a big sweetheart and would never hurt a thing BUT is also very strong and doesn't understand sizes. He has grown very dominant to only some dogs and submissive to others, I think its because he knows which fights he'll win. Regardless its very embarrassing and difficult to deal with when he pushes another dog around, especially if the owners are nervous. I've trained him on the "leave-it" command and have become VERY stern when dealing with him and his interactions. Needless to say we have seen a vast improvement and hopefully as he gets older it will be a non-issue. I can understand your frustrations and concerns because I live in constant fear of small dogs, puppies or submissive dogs at the dog park! My trainer has assured me that it is something he will grow out of or that we will learn to control! Oh also I learned a quirky fact, GSDs don't like being starred at. There are some breeds (border collies) that as my trainer puts in "stare rudely" and they don't like it. Most GSDs that I have encountered (mostly males) are very dominant and will go through this obnoxious teenager phase, (I'm still waiting for mine to dye his hair purple and get piercings ) but keep working on it and be tough. Even when they look at you with those sad little puppy eyes!!! Good luck!

Old 05-29-2008, 03:27 PM

1,738 posts, read 7,493,906 times
cody thinks puppies are strange and barks at them! lol

Old 06-02-2008, 12:53 PM

152 posts, read 420,941 times
I have the same problem with my Great Dane. She is obsessed with anything small (my poor cat) We keep telling her that she can't bark at anything smaller than her head but I don't think she is getting it (selective listening even in dogs ) .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or