Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 04:38 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times

Advertisements

Ok I am going on vacation for a week to the outer banks of North Carolina Me my partner and Indigo all three have never been we are staying at beach house that allows pets but I am concern Indigo that she might not like it.

She very trained knows when to ask to go to restroom eats out of a dispenser feeder and very polite and does no wrong. She is primary a house dog though and she hates water.

She has traveled with me to a park so traveling will not be a problem but I am afraid she will be depressed or home sick.
I was planning on stopping every 2 hours to let her walk and use ladies room or should I do it every hour?

And I have no clue how she going to act out on the beach. I wonder if the waves will freak her out even though she will get a kick out of the sea gulls more than I probably want her too lol.

The house has fenced backyard but do you think she will not like going?
I plan on getting her own umbrella for the beach and packing lots of water but Im still concern even the temperature only 75 degrees will the heat be unbearable with her heavy coat.

Love to hear others stories about their house dog first vacation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 06:10 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Yes take her with you. If she gets too hot you can leave her in your room under a/c. But even tho she is afraid of waters i bet she will like the beach chasing the waves. Do let us know what you decide & how she does if you take her.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:11 PM

PS she is beautiful.......

Old 05-10-2007, 09:40 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
If the rental allows pets, then it sounds like there's no problem as she's housetrained and all. I doubt she'll be homesick, dogs are pack animals and you are her pack Having said that, due make certain she's allowed on the beach and carry your **** bags with you.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:43 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Most dogs I know are happy as long as they are with their owners. My dog WANTS to go wherever I do.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:40 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,686,730 times
Be careful. Frequently pets are lost while traveling or vacationing. In unfamiliar surroundings a dog can bolt and be gone like a shot. Shelties are hard to find, too, as they tend to shy away from strangers so they don't get picked up as easily by someone who could help find the owners. Also, in new surroundings they can get confused and scared, and if they get loose and into traffic it'd dangerous. I'd leave my pet at home in a/c, with someone to look in on her - or better yet, board her where she has company and someone to watch over her while you're gone. I use an animal hospital, so that if she gets sick there's a vet to take care of her immediately.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:55 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,088,529 times
Oh-she is gorgeous--I am so envious! My 16 year old sheltie passed away a year ago. Do I ever miss him. He hated water also, but he loved to be with us--no matter where and enjoyed new surroundings.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:53 PM

I decided to take her on vacation in the morning. I hope I didnt come across as worried owner she my baby and it her first time kind of thing lol

Thank you all for the input and sweet compliments way to kind.

I understand the one who concern that she shouldnt go but animal hosiptal isnt a option she not a fan of places with cages and pens.
We have a doggy door and self feeders at home but when my partner goes out of town for a period of time I can tell when she gets depressed so that isnt a option.
I understand the post about she might get scared and confuse but she always wears her harness with the retractable leash.

I will watch her panting levels while on the beach and probably just take in early morning and late evening or take her in with a/c on and animal planet on telivison.
I just know how she tucks tail when I get in the hot tub and you definitely know when it starts raining she flies in the doggy door LOL I then give her a complex by saying "Your a good Kitty CAt" lol

and Tamia I feel for you I know what the great dog that mind its owner politely this is my second of the breed itself I have had Mintuare collie before this one and I love how they snooze on their backs from time to time lol.

I also found a doggy day care in the area so they can watch out for her while we are out kayaking.

I will try to get her some beach photos.

I hope you all have a good weekend and week

Old 05-23-2007, 02:30 PM

Thank you for all of you who suggest input on my situation. I think Indigo had a good time however she wasnt to thrill with the beach itself. I wish I had a photo of her hearing the first ocean wave crash it was a hoot. She knew where to keep her distance from gettting wet. She didnt care for the blowing sand so we didnt stay on beach that long. Im glad she went just for peace of mind and she wasnt a hamper at all.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:13 PM

GREAT..glad she liked it...more pictures please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs