U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 02:04 PM

16,249 posts, read 19,254,929 times

Advertisements

Had a debate with a co worker. Co worker told me that dogs care about the weather and, if you move from one weather to another, the dog might be tempermental or even get ill. For example if a dog is born and raised in south Florida and you move to Minnesota, the dog will be mad and might get sick because it cannot get used to the cold. That sounds like BS to me. IS there anything to it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 02:19 PM

11,647 posts, read 27,605,963 times
It might be true for some dogs...esp shorthaired no under coated breeds. But I dont think that most care! Now IF you move in the middle of winter & the dog you kept outside say in FL...well use your head let it spent at least the winter as a inside dog. The following yr being out should adjust fine....I also know that our weatherman says bring pets in then do it. Dogs & Cats Can Freeze!

Old 05-25-2008, 03:58 PM

11,774 posts, read 22,528,605 times
I don't think dogs enjoy extremes any more than people do, and some more than others. I don't know about getting sick or anything, but maybe being sensitive.
I have a large white mutt (origins unknown) who seems to overheat very quickly if in the sun. Next to him is a large cattle dog mutt, mostly black, who loves to lie in the sun.
None of them like being outside with a bitter wind. They do their business and run back in.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:12 PM

5,296 posts, read 4,525,046 times
I have 2 short hair boxers and despite my wife telling me they can't stand the cold as much as the heat,from what I see they don't seem to mind the cold but they seem more uncomfortable in the summer. It seems logical,they still have those coats on in the summer.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:50 PM

1,930 posts, read 9,068,010 times
My mom moved from Jacksonville, FL to Salt Lake City and she owns 2 Mini Schnauzers (sp?). She said that the dogs don't seem to really enjoy the snow, but they don't seem to hate it either. I know that our 3 APBTs wouldn't be too happy to live where it snows, they don't even like to be outside much when it gets cold down here! lol! I would guess that, like people, the weather would effect each dog differently.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:53 PM

5,981 posts, read 15,206,297 times
Rottweilers here - who are supposed to love the cold...mine don't, they prefer central heat and air and the fireplace blower in the winter.

We took our crew when we moved to the Caribbean - another story for another day - we are in Arkansas, where it is extremely hot and muggy in the summertime and can go to bitter wet cold in the deep winter. I won't say mine changed temperament in the Caribbean, but it did seem they kept constant yeast infections in their ears. Maybe the salt air keeping them more moist, don't know. Haven't had any problems at all since we moved back. They weren't inclined to be "mad", it was more like they weren't inclined to do much of anything at all (not that they tip the scales on activity anyway). They do seem much, much happier back in the place where they've all spent their lives, but maybe that's because we bought a house next door to the house we owned when we lived here the first time - can they smell "their" yard???? I do notice they are much like we are - they enjoy snow for about the first 20 minutes, and then they're through with that...and get extremely crabby when pushed out the door to do their business!

Old 05-25-2008, 05:13 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,568,739 times
My little princess doesn't like to get her paws muddy. She was born in the AZ desert. She is a pug and can't tolerate heat. She also doesn't like the cold.
In NYC she learned that if you pee on a hill it comes back to you.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:33 PM

5,296 posts, read 4,525,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
She is a pug and can't tolerate heat.
I wonder if heat intolerance has alot to do with their short muzzles.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:39 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,568,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I wonder if heat intolerance has alot to do with their short muzzles.
Yeah. She has no sense of smell. You have to point out treats on the flooror she won't find them.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:00 AM

4,447 posts, read 14,623,487 times
Both of my guys love the snow.... sometimes too much so for me

The only weather problem my girl has is thunderstorms

Never have moved from one climate to the next, but do know my male, Borde Collie mix gets hotter much faster in summer than my female does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs