U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 06:15 PM

4 posts, read 8,768 times

Advertisements

Why does everyone want to band pits.Its not just that breed.Im a pitbull breeder. But I do it the right way.My dogs are UKC and are champion lines.Its only the way they get raised.(any dog)I had people call me wanting to buy a dog for fighting and there so stupid thinking Im selling them for that.I make sure they go to good homes.I have a friend that had a lab and those are the top dogs that are suppose to be very friendly.Well guess what that dog took a bite out of his kids face only 4 years old.I dont hear any one try to say anything about that.My dogs are just like my kids.They are indoors and go out to play with my kids.They are very good dogs.Take the time and look at everything because its not just pits.The ones that do bad things (all dogs) are because they are tied up ,they dont spend time with them and beat them.So think before you say crap about pits!!There is lots of other dogs but they only put pits on the news not the others.If any thing they should make everyone register there pets and only have pure breeds no mutts so none of this crap happens.(ignorence)

Old 05-26-2008, 07:07 PM

753 posts, read 2,223,044 times
It isn't just the way people are raising pit bulls. I do agree that only breeders should be able to breed dogs because the average person does not know what it takes to properly care for and socialize those puppies. And they dont know how to breed traits in and out of the breed. Pit bulls were bred to be vicious and it will take generations of proper breeding to breed it out of them.

I know someone who has a pitbull that was the perfect family dog. It loved their son. Geuss what, a couple days ago it almost ripped the 6 year olds face off and smashed his arm. Nice family pet - I don't think so.

I don't think anyone with kids should own pit bulls just because of how easily they snap on kids. Then, if owners kept their dogs tied up properly the only people getting bit would be the adult owners.

As a side note, small dogs actually bite more often. But since they don't do as much damage no one reports it. And then those dogs end up biting again and again. Unlike the pit bulls that get put to sleep.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:19 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,178 posts, read 6,291,926 times
Not sure why this is on the AZ forum but...in this area (Prescott, AZ) 99% of the pitbulls are owned by "toughs"...illegals, druggies, wanna-be gang-bangers...who think it is cool to have a mean-tough dog. It's not the dog's fault, per se, but in the wrong hands a pitbull (or Dobie or Rottie) can he raised to be mean or unpredictable. On the other hand, a well-bred Pit with a responsible owner can be a wonderful dog. The Dog Whisperer's (Cesar Milan) own personal dog is a very big pitbull named Daddy that is the sweetest dog on four legs. But would I own one? No...I'll stick to terriers

Old 05-26-2008, 08:49 PM

8,062 posts, read 16,219,575 times
Here's the way I look at it. For every pitbull that is a "nice, family dog" there are eight others that are owned by toughs and it's not the public's responsibility to clean up their image. If you are a breeder who's concerned about the dog's image, then DO something about it! Don't complain to us!

If you know someone who's breeding them as fighting dogs or someone who is fighting or mistreating the dogs, call animal control or the police and report it. You say that people call you looking for dogs to fight -- well, apparently, they must think you're willing to sell to them or they wouldn't risk calling! You want to stop them from calling? Take down their names and phone numbers and THEN tell them you will be reporting them to the authorities. I guarantee you won't be getting any more calls like that when word gets out.

And quit bringing up other breeds to divert attention to your own. Yeah, any dog can bite someone but please be honest about the fact that pit bulls were bred to be dog-aggressive and there are many, many people in this country who want them because of that and are doing their utmost to keep them aggressive. Labs were NOT bred to be fighting dogs.

I'm sure pit bull lovers will jump all over me for my comments but I get really tired of this "righteous indignation" about pit bulls. Pit bull breeders and owners should be on the forefront of getting laws passed to prohibit these dogs from getting into the wrong hands and being used for aggression. At the very least, they should be the first to admit that yes, there is often a problem in the way this breed is owned and by whom, in many cases, and they should close ranks on those who are breeding mean dogs and fighting them.

If you don't like what others think about pit bulls, work on changing their image through education and outreach. But you can't expect the rest of us to feel all warm and fuzzy about these dogs when the only time we see them is being walked through 'hoods by thugs or on the news. Less than two weeks ago, four of them KILLED a 7-year-old boy in Breckenridge, TX, not far from where I live. The dogs knew the boy, who went there frequently and was friends with the children of the family who owned the dogs. When was the last time a couple of labs, Yorkies or beagles killed a child?

Old 05-26-2008, 09:33 PM

12,447 posts, read 31,530,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
Not sure why this is on the AZ forum but...in this area (Prescott, AZ) 99% of the pitbulls are owned by "toughs"...illegals, druggies, wanna-be gang-bangers...who think it is cool to have a mean-tough dog. It's not the dog's fault, per se, but in the wrong hands a pitbull (or Dobie or Rottie) can he raised to be mean or unpredictable. On the other hand, a well-bred Pit with a responsible owner can be a wonderful dog. The Dog Whisperer's (Cesar Milan) own personal dog is a very big pitbull named Daddy that is the sweetest dog on four legs. But would I own one? No...I'll stick to terriers

Have to respond a Pittbull IS a Terrier!

United Kennel Club: American Pit Bull Terrier (http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/Breeds/AmericanPitBullTerrier - broken link)

American Kennel Club - American Staffordshire Terrier

Last edited by Katie1; 05-26-2008 at 09:42 PM..

Old 05-26-2008, 09:48 PM

8,062 posts, read 16,219,575 times
Interesting. Check out what the "UKC breed standard" says about their temperament:

"Because most APBTs exhibit some level of dog aggression and because of its powerful physique, the APBT requires an owner who will carefully socialize and obedience train the dog."

And

"Note: Although some level of dog aggression is characteristic of this breed, handlers will be expected to comply with U.K.C. policy regarding dog temperament at U.K.C. events."

Old 05-26-2008, 10:28 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,227,931 times
Before this thread takes a wrong turn, please be sure to read this link:

HOT TOPICS & ZERO TOLERANCE....pls read!

Old 05-27-2008, 06:44 AM

72 posts, read 413,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthebreed View Post
Why does everyone want to band pits.Its not just that breed.Im a pitbull breeder. But I do it the right way.My dogs are UKC and are champion lines.Its only the way they get raised.(any dog)I had people call me wanting to buy a dog for fighting and there so stupid thinking Im selling them for that.I make sure they go to good homes.I have a friend that had a lab and those are the top dogs that are suppose to be very friendly.Well guess what that dog took a bite out of his kids face only 4 years old.I dont hear any one try to say anything about that.My dogs are just like my kids.They are indoors and go out to play with my kids.They are very good dogs.Take the time and look at everything because its not just pits.The ones that do bad things (all dogs) are because they are tied up ,they dont spend time with them and beat them.So think before you say crap about pits!!There is lots of other dogs but they only put pits on the news not the others.If any thing they should make everyone register there pets and only have pure breeds no mutts so none of this crap happens.(ignorence)
my friend has a pitbull & a beagle.. the pitbull is a baby.. he loves being snuggled & cuddled.. loves being covered with a blankey & is extremely gentle & just a cutie pie.. he loves people. the beagle is yappy, bossy & mean & she scares the pitbull half to death & steals his food.. lol

i love pitbulls. i think they're adorable & just precious & i'd love to have one. i think they've got wonderful temperaments. people that raise them for fighting are cruel & horrible & give them a bad wrap.

i would also like to add that i think if a kid gets bitten by a dog, that it's the parent's fault for not watching the kid or for not teaching the kid how to treat animals. what kind of a parent would ever seriously think that leaving their child alone with any animal with fangs was kosher?... why not let a group of vampires or cannibals babysit for ya, while you're at it?... lol makes about as much sense IMO. no kind of good parent would ever leave their child alone with an animal that has a beak known for crushing nuts/bones, a carnivorous animal that has teeth created solely for the purpose of catching prey & shredding flesh or an animal with any kind of horns or tusks. i also believe that you should ALWAYS supervise your child when around animals, teach them how to respect them & etc, that way "accidents" don't happen.. animals don't know any better. they only act in defense. they don't always understand that it's wrong to bite, especially when someone (usually a child) smacks them or sticks their hand in their food bowl or whatever... and no one should ever assume that someone else is watching your kids while they're over at their house. that's your job. parents these days have to be uber careful about everything. not just this issue with animals... but everything.. if you let your kid go over to the wrong person's house, they could end up getting raped, drinking underage, smoking, having sex, doing drugs, or doing other "bad" things... it's really sad, but true. :/ you really have to watch your kids carefully.

anyway.. i love all kinda dogs. mine is a Pyrenees/Australian shepherd mix. but pitbulls are cute & can be as sweet as any other dog.

Last edited by Aconitum; 05-27-2008 at 07:10 AM..

Old 05-27-2008, 08:03 AM

Cool regarding a comment

I just want to let you know that I am doing something about it I have went to talk to the representatives of Arizona since I know their the ones to talk to about the law.Im trying to get people who breed them and fight them off the streets thats why I want for all dogs to get registered because right now thats not mandetory.As for the people that called to get a dog for fighting they blocke their numbers because For sure I would call the cops on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Here's the way I look at it. For every pitbull that is a "nice, family dog" there are eight others that are owned by toughs and it's not the public's responsibility to clean up their image. If you are a breeder who's concerned about the dog's image, then DO something about it! Don't complain to us!

If you know someone who's breeding them as fighting dogs or someone who is fighting or mistreating the dogs, call animal control or the police and report it. You say that people call you looking for dogs to fight -- well, apparently, they must think you're willing to sell to them or they wouldn't risk calling! You want to stop them from calling? Take down their names and phone numbers and THEN tell them you will be reporting them to the authorities. I guarantee you won't be getting any more calls like that when word gets out.

And quit bringing up other breeds to divert attention to your own. Yeah, any dog can bite someone but please be honest about the fact that pit bulls were bred to be dog-aggressive and there are many, many people in this country who want them because of that and are doing their utmost to keep them aggressive. Labs were NOT bred to be fighting dogs.

I'm sure pit bull lovers will jump all over me for my comments but I get really tired of this "righteous indignation" about pit bulls. Pit bull breeders and owners should be on the forefront of getting laws passed to prohibit these dogs from getting into the wrong hands and being used for aggression. At the very least, they should be the first to admit that yes, there is often a problem in the way this breed is owned and by whom, in many cases, and they should close ranks on those who are breeding mean dogs and fighting them.

If you don't like what others think about pit bulls, work on changing their image through education and outreach. But you can't expect the rest of us to feel all warm and fuzzy about these dogs when the only time we see them is being walked through 'hoods by thugs or on the news. Less than two weeks ago, four of them KILLED a 7-year-old boy in Breckenridge, TX, not far from where I live. The dogs knew the boy, who went there frequently and was friends with the children of the family who owned the dogs. When was the last time a couple of labs, Yorkies or beagles killed a child?

Old 05-27-2008, 08:06 AM

My dogs are UKC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs