U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 05:14 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,177,362 times

Advertisements

HURAYYYYYYYYYYYY FOR MORGAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I did pray for her, and once again I was heard... Teatime, take one minute to thank everyone "up there" who watched over the wonderful friends we are given to make us better people in this world.
Please let us hear from you as she gets better.
God bless her and also you, for being so good and acknowledging the enormous good they give us every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 05:28 PM

1,479 posts, read 7,032,481 times
Teatime, what excellent news! I'm so glad that Morgan came through the surgery so well.

I think it would be good for this vet to know how hurtful his words were, and how unacceptable it was for him to tell you something so upsetting in front of other clients. He's undermining himself and damaging his professional ethics by not respecting the privacy of his clients and not being sensitive to their feelings. If you can't bring yourself to tell him--and I wouldn't blame you in the slightest if you can't--hopefully someone else in the practice will tell him. He owes you an apology.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:32 PM

8,062 posts, read 16,210,444 times
Thanks, Miaiam! Oh, I certainly did thank God when I got the good news! I hate thinking about my gal being kept in a cage tonight, sigh. I hope she's sleeping a lot and not caring about her surroundings. I wish she was home, sleeping on her bed, so I could pet her and sing to her. (LOL, I've made up special, silly songs for each of my dogs and she gets so excited when I sing to her. Hahahahaha, that's nice cuz no one else does!)

Sam and Keeper, that's a good point about the vet. I just hate switching vets, sigh. We moved here about 18 months ago and this is the second clinic I've tried. The first one was just WAY too expensive for someone who has four dogs and they seemed to have a high turnover of young vets. We'd like one and the next time we went, he would be gone!

I've gotten good recommendations for another vet but when I made an appointment for Morgan, they said they're not equipped to do any sort of surgeries on dogs her size. Otherwise, I liked them very much. They even sent me a thank-you card for coming by and considering them! I dunno -- should I use this really nice vet office for their shots and stuff but not transfer anything just in case my big kids need surgery at the current vet?

Old 05-27-2008, 05:38 PM

5,981 posts, read 16,317,826 times
You know, teatime, I actually think you might be doing the offending vet a favor if you had a quiet talk with him regarding the fact that he really, really frightened you and left you sort of in the lurch at the eleventh hour. Of course we realize with surgery that anything can go wrong, and it was proper of him to remind you of that...sort of a risks and benefits talk just like we humans get. It was the presentation that was off. Also, I think we have a right to some privacy even in the vet's office. Maybe if you gently pointed that out to him when you pick Morgan up - not in an accusatory or upset fashion, but just a "hey, can I talk with you privately for a minute?" type thing. It may be that he's rushed and totally unaware of how his words sounded and a gentle reminder might do him good. I'd at least give him half a chance to apologize and then see how you feel about him since you like the clinic and the other vet just fine. If he doesn't apologize and blows you off, then go to Plan B. Unfortunately, I have no Plan B carved in stone. I just think we all get boorish from time to time - maybe he just doesn't realize how he comes off?

Let me add...my previous vet passed away. I do NOT care for his replacement - she's very cold and curt. I tried telling her I needed a few warm fuzzies to keep the relationship going and her answer was "that's my style"...and so I took my style to a new vet. We just didn't gee-haw, but only you can make the decision as to what's right for you and Morgan and the rest of the critters in your care.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
Teatime, what excellent news! I'm so glad that Morgan came through the surgery so well.

I think it would be good for this vet to know how hurtful his words were, and how unacceptable it was for him to tell you something so upsetting in front of other clients. He's undermining himself and damaging his professional ethics by not respecting the privacy of his clients and not being sensitive to their feelings. If you can't bring yourself to tell him--and I wouldn't blame you in the slightest if you can't--hopefully someone else in the practice will tell him. He owes you an apology.
Yeah, it was awful. The other folks in the waiting room literally gasped and shook their heads. He even said that if she died on the table, I would still be responsible for the full bill!!!!!! I have ALWAYS paid the bills upfront there and the bill was NOT on my mind, sheesh!!!!!

I had left the city paperwork for the spay from the pound out in the car and when the vet started saying this stuff, the receptionist put her head down and said quietly to me, "This might be a good time for you to go out to the car and bring in the paperwork!" I was grateful for that diversion!

That's when the vet FOLLOWED me out to the parking lot waving around the jar containing a dog's infected heart! I was gobsmacked! I told him that Morgan has NO SYMPTOMS, not the slightest cough, and she's healthy. That did sort of shut him up, as he admitted the dog with the heart he was waving around was in for emergency surgery because he was sick and he had a pronounced cough.

The more I think about this, the more determined I am to say something tomorrow once I have Morgan back with me.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:13 PM

12,432 posts, read 31,483,930 times
I had a vet like that once... Her people skills were poor but her animal skills were great!! Use her for a long time...... To me it was more about how she treated my animals not how she & I got along that counted!

Old 05-27-2008, 06:50 PM

Katie,
Beyond being rude, it seemed to me that the vet was more concerned about making sure he was paid if my dog died than the dog's actual care. It's not like we don't have choices -- there must be a dozen veterinary clinics in my area. Why accept behavior like that from a vet?

If a medical doctor told me an hour before my scheduled surgery that I might die on the table, showed me diseased organs in a jar, and told my family that he will collect full payment if I croak, I'd be out of there in a heartbeat. I'm just glad he's not the one who is caring for Morgan. At least, I don't think he is!

Old 05-27-2008, 06:55 PM

4,713 posts, read 10,173,374 times
I would talk to the vet and tell him how he made you feel. Working around doctors for 25 yrs I know their bedside manner often lacks and these are human doctors! I think often they are just unware as to how things may sound to a patient or patients loved ones.I have told some of them my vet has better bed side manners.

Many years ago I had a vet that I was taking my very old cocker too tell me " well if you don't love your dog we don't have to do the tests" when he wanted to put her through alot of expensive tests to find out about a heart murmur, we talked and he just could not get it that it wasn't the money it was the dogs age and not wanting to put her through more. He and I had had issues before as I feel he cared more for money then the animals. . I decided to collect her Xrays and went to a different vet who listened to her heart and suggested we try a medication for a few weeks and if the murmur improved he then had a good idea of what the cause was as he agreed the tests while nice were not necessary for such an old dog. The medicine worked great and she lived about another 1.5 yrs until Lymphoma developed . This Vet remains my vet some 14 yrs later and I love him he is the best and he knows I know my dogs and if I call he takes it very serious as I have yet to be wrong when I feel something is not quite right. I do think it is importnat that you get along with a vet as you and the vet must work as a team to get the best care for your dog.

Glad to hear your dog is doing ok. Sorry you have a long night to get through before she will be back with you. I am sure she will be thrilled to be home.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:05 PM

1,479 posts, read 7,032,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
The more I think about this, the more determined I am to say something tomorrow once I have Morgan back with me.
I think you'll feel better if you do say something, and if this guy makes any changes at all in his manner, you'll make things better for future clients.

I once had a great vet, Dr. J, whose office manager had no people skills. She would be deferential to Dr. J's face but refer to his ethnicity in a derogatory way to clients. It was very uncomfortable. I spoke to her privately twice about her comments but she didn't stop making them. This guy was very good, loved by his clients, highly regarded by his peers, and had a very busy office as a result. But every time I went there I would cringe inside, and my tenseness was transmitted to my dogs. I finally found another vet. I did tell Dr. J why I wasn't coming back and he just didn't believe it. It's 14 years later, and she's still there.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:13 PM

4,541 posts, read 13,121,704 times
Default A horrible situation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Yeah, it was awful. The other folks in the waiting room literally gasped and shook their heads. He even said that if she died on the table, I would still be responsible for the full bill!!!!!! I have ALWAYS paid the bills upfront there and the bill was NOT on my mind, sheesh!!!!!

I had left the city paperwork for the spay from the pound out in the car and when the vet started saying this stuff, the receptionist put her head down and said quietly to me, "This might be a good time for you to go out to the car and bring in the paperwork!" I was grateful for that diversion!

That's when the vet FOLLOWED me out to the parking lot waving around the jar containing a dog's infected heart! I was gobsmacked! I told him that Morgan has NO SYMPTOMS, not the slightest cough, and she's healthy. That did sort of shut him up, as he admitted the dog with the heart he was waving around was in for emergency surgery because he was sick and he had a pronounced cough.

The way the vet behaved was wrong and I'm sure it was to be sure that they got paid...unfortunately... but, you should use wisdom.

It seems that you might want to wait a while to be sure Morgan is completely o.k. before you say anything to them. If there should be a complication or reason that you have to continue working with the vet, you don't want to make things intolerable (or even impossible)...

It may be that in a few days you will have a whole new way of dealing with the situation.

I'm glad to know Morgan is still with us!

Last edited by World Citizen; 05-27-2008 at 07:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs