U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 07:19 PM

12,387 posts, read 31,343,833 times

Advertisements

teatime I am not saying he did not upset you. Some people just dont have people skills...I dont! Hes most likely better with animals than people...I sure am!
But what trade off do you want ? A vet that good with you or one thats good with your dog? I Had a few of those too & my dogs death stll hurts. I keep telling people that he seemed so good & caring... Cant still believe in the end & my dog being sick for a week. & o he called me daily to check on her .... but refused to see her!! And then on top of that sent me a card on how sorry he was she died!! & he would be happy to care for my next dog...NOT!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 09:15 PM

8,062 posts, read 16,184,066 times
Katie, I simply don't think it needs to be an either/or situation. You're assuming that because this guy stinks in how he handles the owners, he is excellent with the dogs. That may or may not be true. But the other vet in the practice is good at BOTH!

Old 05-28-2008, 05:48 AM

2,065 posts, read 4,165,193 times
Hi, Teatime! Is Morgan better? I hope she is home today...please let me hear about her, she is what matters the most on this thread. Please keep singing to her; I am sure she will be especially happy to hear you sing when she is back home, feeling comfortable and safe at home (even if your singing skills are not perfect!) As for the vet, I also had many bad experiences with vets and my canine girls, and honestly when I felt uncomfortable I simply went somewhere else. I think it is absolutely necessary for people who work with health issues to be kind and compassionate, and I don't really understand why some of them behave differently. I mean, if I hope and pray Morgan is fine now even though she is not mine and I never saw her, I expect the vet who is going to care for my dogs to talk to them, pet them, and promise me he/she will do his/her best, even if I don't get a promise of successful treatment. I know there are risks during an operation, but a bit of compassion and words like "you should understand I am not God, but I promise I will do all I can" wouldn't be bad at all. Some people think this is unnecessary, but it means a lot to me. I love my dogs and want the best for them as they have always given me their best, that's all I can tell you. Anyway, please keep the wonderful news about Morgan's recovery updated, ok? All the best to you both.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:54 AM

13,153 posts, read 17,372,542 times
Hoping that Morgan (and you!) are continuing to do better each day! Prayers and thoughts are with you. We know what it's like - we've been through it all (as so many here have). The best to you both and keep us posted.

As for the vet - as soon as Morgan was home and recovered, I'd be out of there. Wouldn't even say anything to the vet. I'd write a polite letter but I wouldn't expect him to change.

We are very very lucky. The clinic is expensive, but everyone is so very good and the Dr. is tops.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:48 AM

4,541 posts, read 13,093,383 times
teatime,

I hope you and Morgan have a better day today and that she's home and resting comfortably.

I've also had many bad vet experiences. It does make you wonder what they're teaching in vet school today. Apparently, they have many classes on the financial area and none on table side manners.

My post yesterday was not saying that you should or should not say anything to him. But, moreover, that you should wait to be sure all is well before you do. You don't want to have to start over right now with a new vet that might also take advantage of the situation... if there's a problem. (It's too bad, but that's the world we live in.)

It's really unfortunate that they were so insensitive. Taking your business to the other doctor in the office (with four dogs) will speak volumes!

Old 05-28-2008, 09:42 AM

Hi y'all!
I decided it would be best to keep Morgan there until the afternoon since they only have two times you're allowed to pick up your poochy -- before 10 and after 3. I have an appointment scheduled for the AC guys to come and do the annual checkup and cleaning this morning and I figured that would be hugely disruptive for Morgan. She'd feel it was her duty to follow them around, hahahahaha!

I think I'm going to stop at Petsmart, too, and pick up some doggy socks or soft footwear for her. I'm assuming she's going to come home with the lampshade around her head so she doesn't nurse her stitches but it is utterly amazing how this dog can contort herself to scratch her own tummy! But if she's wearing doggy socks, I won't have to worry as much about her scratching her surgical area in the middle of the night. I CAN'T WAIT to see my girl!!!!! It's been weird without her!

Well, the barks tell me that the AC guys have arrived, LOL! More later...

Tea

Old 05-28-2008, 10:10 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,353,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I'm a nervous wreck. I just got back from dropping off my Weimaraner, Morgan, to be spayed. I adopted her from the pound last fall. She has had heartworm and I've nursed her back to health.

The vet said there's a chance of her not surviving the surgery because of the possible damage from heartworm. Now, when we discussed this previously, he said in all likelihood everything would be fine but he decided to hit me with this dire warning today (and in front of other people in the waiting room). I was quite unhappy.

Anyhoo, if y'all could say a prayer for Morgan, that she handles the surgery well and has no complications, I'd surely appreciate it! Once I know she's going to be fine, I will THEN address with the vet his inappropriateness this morning!
I will be glad to pray for Morgan, hopefully he will come out of the surgery fine! My beloved cocker spaniel Nellie, who left me for a while in April, is now in heaven, where I will rejoin her someday!!!

Old 05-28-2008, 10:53 AM

265 posts, read 1,151,702 times
teatime, so glad to hear your girl pulled through!! I've been reading the thread and am pretty horrified by the vet's behavior. I'd definitely say something, but I wouldn't expect much by way of change on his part, given what you've shared. I'd also go the next step and write a letter to the owner of the practice...whether you decide to stay is a more difficult question. I wouldn't use another vet just for shots/etc., as I don't think you want to deal with incomplete records (if you continued to use current vet for emergency services). I can't even believe how completely inappropriate his behavior was...addressing you in front of a crowd, retrieiving a diseased heart...honestly, what an *******!

Please keep us posted on Morgan's homecoming and your handling of the situation.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:41 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,353,423 times
Ive prayed for Morgan, we are all eagerly awaiting that she is home and fine!

Old 05-28-2008, 02:52 PM

My gal is HOME!!! She has a big grin on her face and her tail is wagging like mad. Poor baby is clearly feeling "owie" as she's walking gingerly and finding it uncomfortable to lie down for very long. They gave her a pain pill today and I can't give her another one until this evening. I'm so glad she's back with her family, where she belongs!!!!!

I have to take her back in two weeks to have the stitches out. And, despite liking the other vet, the presence of Mr. Grumpy and Tactless is just oppressive. I think I will try another vet when the gang needs their shots later this summer.

He was sitting there behind the receptionist with a VERY grumpy look on his face. He didn't even say hello. The receptionist asked me if I needed more heartworm preventative and I said I buy it online. Mr. Grumpy said he won't write a prescription for me to buy it online and I said I wasn't asking for a prescription from him. He got a mean look on his face and walked away. Ha!

I've been buying from an Australian company, and I got the site info from collie rescue. They've been ordering it online for a long time! None of my dogs has ever had a positive heartworm test -- I still have them tested for it regardless of buying the preventative online. The only reason Morgan had heartworm was that she had it when I adopted her from the pound! It wasn't due to any negligence on my part!

Anyhoo, they tried to say the pills online aren't as good as what they sell, blah-blah. Whatever! I think the fact that I have four healthy dogs is proof enough that the pills are fine. But I'm tired of Mr. Grumpy and his attitude so we will be done with that clinic after Morgan's stitches are removed.

I'm just glad the surgery is done and she's home to recuperate! Morgan sends her thanks for all who prayed for her, too!

Tea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs