U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 08:56 AM

8,062 posts, read 16,209,325 times

Advertisements

I'm a nervous wreck. I just got back from dropping off my Weimaraner, Morgan, to be spayed. I adopted her from the pound last fall. She has had heartworm and I've nursed her back to health.

The vet said there's a chance of her not surviving the surgery because of the possible damage from heartworm. Now, when we discussed this previously, he said in all likelihood everything would be fine but he decided to hit me with this dire warning today (and in front of other people in the waiting room). I was quite unhappy.

Anyhoo, if y'all could say a prayer for Morgan, that she handles the surgery well and has no complications, I'd surely appreciate it! Once I know she's going to be fine, I will THEN address with the vet his inappropriateness this morning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 10:03 AM

2,065 posts, read 4,176,808 times
Stay strong, I have already said a prayer for your "furry friend" and I am keeping my fingers crossed! If this helps, I had two of my Maltese operated when they were 12 and were on heart meds, and they both made it! As for the vet, I would simply go somewhere else; don't bother, if he/she spoke to you that way, do not expect him/her to change. Please post about your dog later on! Best of luck to you both!

Old 05-27-2008, 10:09 AM

4,541 posts, read 13,120,406 times
Father please give the veterinarian and all of his workers your wisdom in all aspects of Morgan's surgery. Let the Vet's assistants be thoughtful of Morgan and give her extra care.

Let our friend trust You today and be confident that You care about the things we love... even our furry friends.

We thank you Father that you are a loving Creator who watches over all of your creation.

In Jesus Name,

Amen

Old 05-27-2008, 10:49 AM

4,628 posts, read 9,270,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I'm a nervous wreck. I just got back from dropping off my Weimaraner, Morgan, to be spayed. I adopted her from the pound last fall. She has had heartworm and I've nursed her back to health.

The vet said there's a chance of her not surviving the surgery because of the possible damage from heartworm. Now, when we discussed this previously, he said in all likelihood everything would be fine but he decided to hit me with this dire warning today (and in front of other people in the waiting room). I was quite unhappy.

Anyhoo, if y'all could say a prayer for Morgan, that she handles the surgery well and has no complications, I'd surely appreciate it! Once I know she's going to be fine, I will THEN address with the vet his inappropriateness this morning!
Yes, without question. Don't trouble yourself right now with the inappropriateness of the vet. Concentrate on Morgan. Please keep us updated.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:29 AM

1,188 posts, read 4,960,538 times
We have put out special thoughts for Morgan too!

I would address the vet and then chose another one. He needs to know he was insensitive and that his tactics were inappropriate.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:52 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,160,702 times
You are in my prayers. Please keep us posted on Morgan's status.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:21 PM

265 posts, read 1,154,336 times
teatime...please let us know how your girl fared...sending lots of light and healing energy to you both. As well as luck finding a new vet!

~PudelPie
P.S. My girl is named Morgan too!

Old 05-27-2008, 04:07 PM

8,062 posts, read 16,209,325 times
I called and spoke with the vet tech. (They told me not to call until after 4.) All is well! Apparently, she was fixing to go into heat again and they said it made the surgery more "messy," but she's awake and alert and seems fine. They said I can pick her up tomorrow before 10 or after 3. As much as I want to rush over to get her as soon as they open, LOL, I think it might not be a bad idea to wait until 3 p.m. so they can monitor her a bit longer.

Thank y'all so much for the prayers and good wishes! I'm so relieved that it's done and she's fine!

I don't think I'm going to switch vet. clinics because I REALLY like the second vet. He's so kind, gentle, and encouraging. The vet techs are super-nice, too. It's the other vet in the practice who came out and did this. He's an idiot. I will be telling them how insensitive he was and how I do NOT want to deal with him in the future.

I adopted Morgan from the pound last fall and she was timid, lackluster and extremely thin. Now, she's a happy, healthy gem of a dog because she's gotten good care, lots of love, and training. When they weighed her today, I discovered that she's gained 20 pounds since I adopted her! She's filled out with muscle mass and has a gleaming coat! Geez, if I thought for one minute that she wasn't healthy enough to have the surgery, there's no way I would have scheduled it! I took her in for a checkup and her bordatello vaccine last week to make sure and the other vet told me that her heart and lungs sounded great and she was doing very, very well.

Anyhoo, I've been a mess all day thinking about what that jerk said. (He even ran back to his office and got a jar with the heart of one of his patients who died on the operating table to show me!) I'm just so happy Morgan is recovering nicely.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:43 PM

5,981 posts, read 16,316,257 times
Excellent news, teatime! I'm thinking I'd be looking for a new vet, though...or at least having a word of prayer with him about "bedside manner"! Sometimes people can be awfully cold - he may not have meant it that way, but leaving you upset without a really valid reason - and in front of people - was pretty uncaring. The only problem that I can see is if you had an emergency and the Abrupt One was on call, you take what you're dealt.

So glad you adopted Morgan and happy that everything is fine...hope she recovers quickly and is back to her old self soon!

Old 05-27-2008, 04:43 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,893,512 times
Thank goodness she is OK.. surgery is always worrisome but the comments of the vet were not necessary and cruel.

I would definitely tell the owner of the clinic if not the doctor what I thought of his insensitive behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs