U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 11:55 AM

4,541 posts, read 13,105,106 times

Advertisements

While I totally agree that people must train and socialize their dogs, I disagree on muzzles.

Muzzles eliminate a choice for a dog....

I agree that no dog should be muzzled all the time and that muzzling a dog is no substitute for training. But, in the day and age we're living in, muzzles protect your dog from the actions of children and other people's dogs....

It's better to be safe than sorry!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 01:58 PM

12,401 posts, read 31,396,435 times
I talked to 3 pit bull Breeders about this Ohio bill...their reaction surprised me!! Not 1 cared!!! [All 3 show thier dogs 1 UKC 2 Both AKC & UKC shows...] I just wondering now if is just people in rescue & pet people that care!!

Old 05-31-2008, 03:11 PM

753 posts, read 2,218,951 times
The only behavior that a pitbull has is aggressiveness toward other dogs and extreme loyalty to their owners. They were bred to have that aggressiveness, but they were not bred to have human aggressiveness. Many people are not breeding them right nor are they treating them right - it takes both to make a good dog. If you buy your dog from a reputable breeder and socialize and treat it properly, you will have a very good dog. If however, you buy it from your mothers brothers uncle who's dog got pregnant by who knows what dog, you treat it like crap, tie it up in a yard and leave it there, and don't supervise your dog all the time, you are going to have a problem. And this goes for every breed of dog not just pit bulls.

It's a shame that bad owners and the media have turned this dog into a monster. I love the breed but won't let my kids near one because you never know about the OWNER.

One problem with that law is that other breeds will follow, and you would be surprised to know that labs, yes labrador retrievers, will be one of them. So if you think this is just about pit bulls, you are sadly mistaken. What are you gonna do when they go after your favorite breed?

Old 05-31-2008, 03:21 PM

21,148 posts, read 37,422,395 times
And the irony is that some animal shelters here in Arizona actually adopt out Pits.

Being that is a rather Libertarian state; I am not surprised

Old 05-31-2008, 03:36 PM

12,401 posts, read 31,396,435 times
NO PERSONAL ATTACKS or The Mods will close the thread!!

Old 05-31-2008, 05:40 PM

5,981 posts, read 16,297,354 times
We will stop flaming statements and personal attacks now - or this thread WILL be closed. This is for informational purposes, not for ramming personal opinions down anyone's throat. Please cool your jets.

Sam

Old 05-31-2008, 06:15 PM

9,912 posts, read 12,453,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
What is a Staffy X?
My dog!

A Staffordshire Terrier X Kelpie. Least that's what the RSPCA said when I adopted him.

And he's a big old boof of a dog, and the sweetest, big baby you could ever imagine.

That's why I've been so shocked to discover his breed is eyed suspiciously, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:45 PM

836 posts, read 2,997,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
My dog!

A Staffordshire Terrier X Kelpie. Least that's what the RSPCA said when I adopted him.

And he's a big old boof of a dog, and the sweetest, big baby you could ever imagine.

That's why I've been so shocked to discover his breed is eyed suspiciously, it just doesn't make sense to me.
Aww (Those doggies don't look mean) I looked to see what a staffy looks like and they look so sweet, how could anyone look at that face and think differently.
I love big goofy dogs.. we have great danes (soon there will be puppies) and a plott hound...the male dane is a big goofy lap dog..did I mention slobbery too YUck but I still love him, the female dane is very prissy...the plotthound is just a sweety and they are all 3 loving towards us and everyone else..we couldn't ask for better dogs specially with a kid, they let our daughter lay on the floor (resting her head on them) while she reads to them. but thats what ya get when you have well trained doggies..

I fully agree with 1phwalls.. It has everything to do with how the OWNERS train/raise the puppies/dogs.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:58 PM

462 posts, read 731,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Well I'm in another country, but I agree!

This may sound rude, it's not meant to, but we often follow America here, blindly I think a lot of the time, which is why I've been reading what's happening in the US so avidly. We have had the calls for Pit Bulls to be banned by you guessed it, pollies needing a bit of exposure. So far it's not done them any good and I hope it never does.
Thank god I live in hawaii(it feels like another country sometimes). Banning pit bulls woiuld never happen here. Pit Bulls are loved over here. Everytime I take my Pit Bulls out people always tell me how beautiful my dogs are. It's funny because the only people who give me dirty looks are tourist, and I could care less about what some dumb tourist thinks.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:50 PM

9,912 posts, read 12,453,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
Aww (Those doggies don't look mean) I looked to see what a staffy looks like and they look so sweet, how could anyone look at that face and think differently.
I love big goofy dogs.. we have great danes (soon there will be puppies) and a plott hound...the male dane is a big goofy lap dog..did I mention slobbery too YUck but I still love him, the female dane is very prissy...the plotthound is just a sweety and they are all 3 loving towards us and everyone else..we couldn't ask for better dogs specially with a kid, they let our daughter lay on the floor (resting her head on them) while she reads to them. but thats what ya get when you have well trained doggies..

I fully agree with 1phwalls.. It has everything to do with how the OWNERS train/raise the puppies/dogs.
Oh! Your puppas sound like beautiful dogs! I don't have any problem with big dogs, little dogs, medium dogs, any kind of dog really. I find it sad that people just don't seem to know how to be around dogs any more and that this ridiculous paranoia seems to have sprung up around particular breeds. My friend had a Rodesian Ridgeback, a very large dog and a beautiful, good tempered animal, just the sweetest dog, but people would cross the street when she walked him because THEY were nervous and distrusting. I guess I can understand it if they'd had a bad experience but not all my experiences with dogs have been pleasant but still I'm not scared of dogs, or nervous around them either. It's just really unfortunate the way things have developed when it comes to dogs and I would like to see more education for both the general public and when people are aquiring a pet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs