Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 12:51 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,901,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
GSD's are guard dogs though, I wouldnt call them violent.

Where you from SHadow ?
Australia.

Any dog can be vicious. I've seen sheps go off and pit bulls too but them little yappy dogs can be pretty nasty when they want to be too.

Last edited by moonshadow; 05-29-2008 at 01:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 01:13 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Me at 1 time these laws were tried on German Shepherds.....Dobermans & Rotties....several others I cant remember. Tho I dont think this bad.

Dog Politics: List Of 75 Banned Or Restricted Breeds - Is Your Dog On The List?

Last edited by Katie1; 05-29-2008 at 01:22 AM..

Old 05-29-2008, 06:09 AM

74 posts, read 366,726 times
[/quote] btw - you just moved to Colorado from Ohio. Another state with some seriously bad dog laws. Colorado was one of the first states to pass BSL... just so you know.[/quote]

Thanks for the info...I didn not realize that. We moved to Boulder where everyone is crazy about dogs and they're included in daily life....haven't really been in CO long enough to learn about the laws which are in effect yet.

I still think that it is ridiculous to propose such an ignorant bill. As everyone else has said, go after the owners, not the dogs.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:16 AM

836 posts, read 3,382,451 times
This is so sad because PitBulls can be sweet dogs if treated properly!! Just like any dog. Tennessee has also put in a bill to Ban Pits..This is such a ridiculous law..
What they should do is put in a bill for stiffer penalties when someone abuses/fights animals.. instead of giving them a slap on the hand and telling you not to do it again.... they should fine the hell out of them (10,000 or more) and throw their a$$es in jail for 7-10 years then when they get out they can NEVER own another animal ever. NO QUESTIONS ASK! If these people abuse animals they more than likely abuse humans.
I think NC tried to pass this last year but it failed.. I also believe in this state if you own a Pit, Rottie (possibly German Shepherds and Dobermans) your suppose to put them on your Homeowners Insurance..but I duno know of many people that do this.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:07 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,351,683 times
Hi, bibit612! It's me, ohTioAroTseA53 (you like word games, right?) I took your advice and came to check things out. Wondered when we'd cross paths! Nice to see all these topics nestled together in one place, like a patchwork quilt. LOL

Old 05-29-2008, 07:52 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,897,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Hi, bibit612! It's me, ohTioAroTseA53 (you like word games, right?) I took your advice and came to check things out. Wondered when we'd cross paths! Nice to see all these topics nestled together in one place, like a patchwork quilt. LOL
You silly goose!!!! So you've known about this forum for a while? LOL...only through a dog do we cross roads! Even your user ID is a dead giveaway!

Old 05-29-2008, 08:42 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Australia.

Any dog can be vicious. I've seen sheps go off and pit bulls too but them little yappy dogs can be pretty nasty when they want to be too.
I plan to go there one day. I dont hear much about BSL in your country. Is there much talk of it ? I had a friend from Adeleide (sp!) in Ireland and he was telling me that Staffordshire Bull Terriers are one of the most popular breeds there. He had two of em in Ireland, male and female, both neutered and both lap dogs.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:38 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,901,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I plan to go there one day. I dont hear much about BSL in your country. Is there much talk of it ? I had a friend from Adeleide (sp!) in Ireland and he was telling me that Staffordshire Bull Terriers are one of the most popular breeds there. He had two of em in Ireland, male and female, both neutered and both lap dogs.
Well we've had talk of it, from folks trying to make a name for themselves. And people get up in arms and want to see bullies put down or illegal but too many of us know what great dogs they can be and how wrong the idea is. So mostly it's a back and forth game so far. It's funny because my baby dog is a Staffie X Kelpie and the biggest sook of a dog you could ever meet. Sure he's boisterous and he can carry on a bit sometimes but he's well socialized and I always watch him around other people and dogs and I avoid unfair situations. The thing that I was never prepared for was people's reactions to him. They seem to fall into two groups. Those that think he's gorgeous and can't wait to come up and say hello, and those that will cross the street in terror. I walk him on a Gentle Leader and I even had one old dear inform her grand children that no they couldn't pat the dog he was wearing a muzzle. I corrected her very quickly and explained how the Gentle leader works but she just kept eyeing him off suspiciously. I said the kids were most welcome to pat him if they wanted to and he was very excited and open to the idea but Gran had other ideas. So I guess some people don't want to hear the truth they'd rather stick with their prejudices.
I'd like to see children educated in school about how to behave around dogs, all dogs, and it wouldn't hurt if some of their parents sat in on the classes either.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:31 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times
Cool, put pics of him in the thread thats stickied

Old 05-29-2008, 03:28 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
From the State bill:

"Sec. 955.111. (A) Beginning ninety days after the effective date of this section, no person shall own, keep, or harbor a dog that belongs to a breed that is commonly known as a pit bull dog."

What dogs, exactly, are "commonly known as pit bull dogs"? What if it's a mix? Is it one of those "well, I know one when I see one" things? There are tons of lists out there of what types of dogs might be a "pit bull dog" and they don't agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs