U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 02:39 PM

4,541 posts, read 13,100,914 times

Advertisements

Here's another good reason why NOT to bring your dog to a dog park... her first thought is to sue -- "to teach the other dog owner a lesson"...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...st6728360.html

Maybe some of us should take time to answer her question. This thread is currently being discussed on the Arizona forum.

I just posted my 2 cents worth....

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-28-2008 at 02:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 03:10 PM

7,542 posts, read 16,359,101 times
Not gonna bother going over.
Whats the world coming to. A dog bit another dog. Fairly small cut too and shes looking to sue. Follow the guy home ? No thanks.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:29 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,022,484 times
Yeesh, I so wish dog parks were good places as mine is getting much better with other dogs and needs the exercise...but forget it! Last time we were at the park (not inside the dog park, just walking around on leash in the city park) I saw a little boston terrier go in the big dog park and I was worried about him.

So frustrating!

They seem like such a good idea...I'm still looking into renting someone's fenced yard and am not kidding (I live in an apartment and don't have a yard...my dog can't be off leash)

Old 12-28-2008, 04:08 PM

128 posts, read 421,273 times
That's such a shame that so many people have had such bad experiences. Our local parks actually have three separate fenced areas. One for dogs under 30 pounds and then two for larger dogs (they rotate them, so only one is open while the other is undergoing maintenance.) They are constantly resodding. The dogs have to be wearing their rabies tags and owners are required to have the leash in hand at all times. You also must leave immediately if your dog gets aggressive. There's a bathing station and doggie water fountains, lots of benches and gazebos.

Most of the folks I've met there are "regulars." Everyone knows most everyone's dogs names. There are kids, and I bring mine once in a while, but they know the rules about strange dogs and usually sit on a bench and play with their Nintendo DS.

The people wjho get on my nerves are the ones who get upset if your dog wants to pla with their dog. I have a 10-month-old flat-coated retriever, and a little shar-pei kept trying to get her to play. When she's start playing with him and running around, his owner got upset because her pup "tires easily." Then why bring him there?!?! He was totally the instigator, too!

Old 12-28-2008, 06:17 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,381,403 times
I took my English Bulldog puppy to the dog park for the first time today. There are two seperate areas, one for big dogs, and one for small dogs. They are very clearly labeled. The big dog area had about 10 large dogs running around. I went to the small dog area, and there was a guy with a full grown Rottweiler and Pitbull. He told me the other park is too crowded, but I'm more than welcomed to come in. Really? I'm welcomed? Several other people with small dogs stood outside the fence because we didn't want our dogs hurt by his Rottweiler, who was growling by the fence anytime the small dogs would move. It's people like that who make dog parks a terrible experience. Then they wonder why our parks are taken away. Follow the rules, both small and big dog owners.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:26 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,022,484 times
Oh that's a shame. Around where I live (NC) and where I used to live in Florida and in NYC, they have separate areas for large and small dogs. Here there's a sign on the small dog park that when nobody's there, any size can go in there and work on training. I've only done that twice (my dog is medium sized but would otherwise go in the large park) at off hours. I don't trust my dog to be in the dog park with other dogs just yet. I think I'll never take her and will have to set up doggie play dates with dogs I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I took my English Bulldog puppy to the dog park for the first time today. There are two seperate areas, one for big dogs, and one for small dogs. They are very clearly labeled. The big dog area had about 10 large dogs running around. I went to the small dog area, and there was a guy with a full grown Rottweiler and Pitbull. He told me the other park is too crowded, but I'm more than welcomed to come in. Really? I'm welcomed? Several other people with small dogs stood outside the fence because we didn't want our dogs hurt by his Rottweiler, who was growling by the fence anytime the small dogs would move. It's people like that who make dog parks a terrible experience. Then they wonder why our parks are taken away. Follow the rules, both small and big dog owners.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:07 PM

591 posts, read 1,280,764 times
They don't have dog parks here..we do have a dog walk that is about 35 min from me but it's a dog walk slash human walk slash human jogging slash teen make out spot slash..gettin the picture yet lol..we have nothing for dogs here..

Old 12-28-2008, 09:04 PM

4,541 posts, read 13,100,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Not gonna bother going over.
Whats the world coming to. A dog bit another dog. Fairly small cut too and shes looking to sue. Follow the guy home ? No thanks.
What's really scary is that it was a small thing... and she and several other people are stepping up telling her to call a lawyer.

Did you read the post in the thread that stated that "Dogs in AZ are considered lethal weapons"... and the other who posted her personal experience with AZ dog bite law?

What is this world coming to...?

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-28-2008 at 09:14 PM..

Old 12-30-2008, 08:33 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,354,385 times
I always say that I worry more about the PEOPLE at the dog park than I do about the dogs. The dogs seem to work it out. They've got their language: their body language and facial expressions and vocalizations. In general, they seem to do a fairly good job of letting other dogs know what the boundaries are. But people are just oblivious. Either they intercede too soon when two dogs are setting things straight between them...or they let it go on too long. And sometimes people just seem hell-bent and determined to stay at the park, no matter what. Which I don't get. There are plenty of times when I've gone to the park and left almost immediately because I sensed a weird vibe among the dogs and felt like it just wasn't a good mix that day. There've been times when I've left for no other reason than that I sensed something off about MY dog and how he was interacting with the others that were there, or a lack of responsiveness and focus on me when I gave commads. And that's the thing about the park: every time you go, it's a different mix, a different vibe. So leave...come back another day or even later that same day. It's no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs