Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 07:25 AM

16,061 posts, read 26,680,270 times

Advertisements

Our puppy, a year and a half, will not go outside or for a walk. We moved to Texas last year, and this is the first full summer. It is of course extremely hot, however early in the morning or late at night she still refuses to go outside or walk! She'll sit down and not budge as soon as we open the front door.

She is sleeping all day, not getting any exercise. And of course the worst, relieving herself inside.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 07:35 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,610,744 times
Lure her outside with a treat. Have a nice area shaded area set up for her, complete with a bed and fresh water. Go outside with her, and bring her favorite toy. You can also introduce a new toy that she can only play with outside the house. Show her that it is fun to be outside.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:15 AM

857 posts, read 2,211,811 times
How about encouraging your dog with a small treat, maybe even a piece of their dog food? I know you are worried about wgt gain.

We have a dog that really hates to go outside.A walk? Forget it!

Luckily we can get her out of the house to do her business.

Keep trying.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:27 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,198,166 times
Leave her outside with water and toys until she goes potty. She is a dog and you are her owner - like a child, she must obey you. Right now she has you trained and you are spoiling her while she ruins your house. Dogs that refuse to go outside like this will often develop separation anxiety because they have never been made to leave the owners side and develop some independence.

For now I would feed her a large meal outside in the morning when she wakes up, then keep her outside until she goes potty, even if it is hours. The temps are cool in the morning, so this will allow her to be out until she goes, and putting her on this strict eating schedule will regulate when she had a bowel movement, so you can maintain better control over her potty training. Feed her a 2nd very small snack in the evening then follow up by keeping her outside and not allowing her back in until she goes potty. Puppies who eat all day, will pewp all day, making training impossible.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:34 AM

589 posts, read 1,343,732 times
My dog went through a phase like this, we realized she had been stung by a bee in the yard and was afraid to go back outside.

If she is small enough, put a leash on her, pick her up and carry her a short distance away from the house, then put her down. She might be more comfortable away from the immediate area.

Lure her outside with treats and your presence. Keep a close eye on her to make she she isn't exposed to some hazard that created the fear to begin with. If the ground is uncomfortably hot, try to keep her to grass, or spray the driveway with cool water before she walks on it.

If this is a new behavior, I would move forward slowly. Something made her afraid of the outside. If this has been her habit all her life, then you will have a hard time breaking this.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:06 AM

16,061 posts, read 26,680,270 times
Thanks all. Just a reminder we are in Dallas. It is 100 degrees and very humid. Leaving her outside until she goes potty is extremely cruel I would imagine, I can't last more than ten minutes!! We have tried treats, she refuses. I pick her up and go outside with her, she scratches the door to get inside. Yes, she has us trained very well!!!

Old 07-08-2014, 09:47 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,342,229 times
Your dog will be fine as long as she has water that is kept in the shade. As the pack leader, you have to teach her what is acceptable. Otherwise, just get used to your home smelling like dog poop and urine, amongst other bad behaviors that will come out if there is no pack leader in the home.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:09 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,610,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Thanks all. Just a reminder we are in Dallas. It is 100 degrees and very humid. Leaving her outside until she goes potty is extremely cruel I would imagine, I can't last more than ten minutes!! We have tried treats, she refuses. I pick her up and go outside with her, she scratches the door to get inside. Yes, she has us trained very well!!!
Wet down the concrete when the ground gets too hot. If you have a grass plot, set her down on the grass. I have three small dogs and they love being outdoors. Walk around the yard with her, and let her explore. You have to show your dog it is fun outside, and I doubt she will refuse a Pupperoni treat.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:18 PM

165 posts, read 193,930 times
One of my dogs, a young female, doesn't want to go for proper walks until my other two dogs and my husband accompany us. This itself isn't consistent; she has gone on walks with me alone before. She does tend to soil the house, and while I still have the time to do so, I take her out for a "pee-pee" break every 4-5 hours. At my old home, she would still make mistakes but I saw her use the wee-wee pads. I'm in as much of a quandary over this as you are over your situation.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:59 PM

811 posts, read 1,550,706 times
Our dog started doing this not long after we rescued him. We took him to the vet and found out he had a UTI. That was treated with no problems but for the longest time he associated the pain with trying to go pee with our yard. I would have to carry him (he's a dachshund thank goodness) down the road a bit before he would consider doing anything. We gradually got closer and closer to home and now he is OK. He still won't go on longer grass though, tickles the belly or something I guess!

Veuvegirl, I'm with you. I live in Texas too and no way would I leave my dog outside in this heat, especially if they are not used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs