Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 10:23 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times

Advertisements

Song. I have been gone for several days so am coming into this late but want to say that I am glad Shaggy died with his Aunt that loved him rather then at a kennel since it sounds like your brother had to go out of town.. It was so nice of you to care for him knowing he was sick. My oldest sister babysat my other sister and brother inlaws two dogs and the old one died while she was doing so. It was not totally unexpected as he had not been doing well and it was something she feared might happen while they were gone. While it was very hard on her it gave his owners alot of comfort knowing he died with someone that loved him there with him since they could not be there.

I think dogs are alot like people and they choose when they die so some wait for owners and others do not want owners around. People do that too as often a loved one sits at the bedside then gets up to use the bathroom and while they are gone for those few moments the dieing person slips out to the next life and they come back to find a dead body . They then beat themselves up for not being there when in fact the dieing person may have been waiting for such a moment as maybe they think that actual moment of death will be too hard on their loved ones? Maybe Shaggy did not want to die in front of your brother? Anyway I hope you can feel better in knowing that you were there with him and helped usher him into the next life.Death is not an evil thing it is just a part of life and for what ever reason you were put there to share that part of Shaggy's life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 10:31 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,342,692 times
You folks on CD are the kindest most thoughtful people I've ever talked to.
You've helped me with your advice and how to get through this. Yesterday I felt I could have done more and I felt guilty but today I know I did all I could and I gave it my best shot trying to heal Shaggy but it was time for him to go and he knew it.
At the end of his life, I was laying on the floor with him and so were the other 2 dogs. I petted and talked to him until he left us.
I feel a hole in my heart and I cry as I read your posts but I also feel it was for the best now. No more cancer and arthritis.
My brother feels really bad that he wasn't here and I think he thought that Shaggy would hold on until he got home. He was getting ready to cancel his meetings and fly home until I called him again and told him the news. He's pretty devastated.
I just wanted to thank you all again for your advice, support, prayers and hugs.
Peace to all of you and rest in peace Shaggy and friends. Have fun romping at the rainbow bridge.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:49 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
So glad Shaggy had songinthewind to help care for him in the final days. Of course you feel guilty, but that will pass soon. Heavens, I went into my vet three days after putting my 17-year-old down, in tears, asking if I acted too fast!
I will say that for me, the process of watching them go downhill, having to make that decision, and seeing them with you and knowing they won't be there tomorrow... that's the hardest part. Then "all" you have left to do is miss them
I like to drive past the meadow when Kiko used to streak across like a Scottish herding dog. I'd rather remember him that way than his final days when he was so ill. The the decision is obviously right.
Plenty of dogs I've known are greeting Shaggy. Be well.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:18 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Song Sorry for your & your bro loss...But seems to me Shaggy left on his own .....So dont feel guilty. He choose to go & he choose to go while with you. So feel honored!!

Old 06-03-2008, 03:40 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,342,692 times
I'm happy that Shaggy is being greeted by others and I'm also honored to have had him in my life. My sweet little red headed nephew.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:50 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I got some pill pockets the other day. He refuses them. He has been drinking water and no I haven't given him any rice and chicken. I got a dm this morning saying that I should try rice and hamburger so I'm getting ready to try that.
the boil hamburg and strain add then rice was what vets always did say.
then baby food warmed if the hamburg rice did not work,

Old 06-03-2008, 04:56 PM

The end of life is not pretty? It is hard, when my dog just got sick, she was 14, and,
did decide not to eat one night-next morning also. went to the vet, no clue, why
anyway, after mega money, meds, the dog, died, in my ams at peace! I never did know,
she just put her head into my shoulder, and it was hard for me.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
I don't know for sure ling ling. I've heard of animals who love their family trying to die w/o family around.
This happened the last week she was alive. She was always good about staying close but during those last few days she tried to separate from us a few times.

I've also heard its a survival technique. Animals leave the pack to die alone in order to keep the pack safe from disease or danger.

my husbands childhood cat was around 18 and she was always close to home but one day didn't come back. They think she went off to die as well.
my dog made it easy came home was alert, and died in my arms, therefore,
she was loved, and I had no guilt.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:30 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Sorry about poor Shaggy. My dog has been sick and it is so worrying...Anyhow, I am glad you were with him and there to be a comfort.

Dogs are special. So are those who love them.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:39 AM

2 posts, read 6,238 times
Default I am facing the same dilemma...

I have a male pomeranian of 16 years. He has mild cataracts and doesn't bark anymore. He started having heart problem when he was 14 and is taking Fortekor tablet for his heart since. My dog is very easy to take care and is very healthy. He seldom fall sick except for the once in a bluemoon diarrhoea and vomitting. But the funny thing is I usually noticed that after I brought him back from the pet hotel, he will somehow fall sick and have no appetite to eat. Even his favourite cooked fresh chicken can't entice him anymore. I travel alot so I tend to put him in the pet hotel for a few days at any one time.

His frequent off-and-on sickness only started late last year. He had vomitting, diarrhoea and weakness in his limps. He was admitted to ICU early this year and I thought his time was up. The doctor gave me some options including putting him to sleep but I refused. He was definitely not in pain so I am not that inhumane to put an otherwise healthy dog to sleep. Upon discharged, I noticed a change in his habit. He tends to walk round in circles and he will tilt to the left side.

His latest saga was just last Saturday when I brought him to the hospital. He refused to eat and looked lethagic. The doctor gave him IV and told me that he didn't look good and his blood count was very low. All his previous blood tests had the same result. She told me to be prepared as he may pass on that night. However, he was well again and his blood count level went up the next day. I decided to put him in te hospital for another two more days. Apparently he ate well and his walking round in circles was lesser because the doctor gave him some vitamins for his brain and some iron tablets.

I brought him back on Monday. But his appetite wasn't that good for the last two days. He didn't eat much and refused to eat the same H/D canned food that was given to him at the hospital. I called the doctor and she said try to give him some cooked chicken. He ate very slowly and had problem chewing it. Somehow he ate some but drank alot of water.

Then today, he ate some cooked chicken again in the morning since he refused to eat the H/D food. I tried giving him a second round of H/D food in the afternoon but he still refused to eat. Then just now I tried giving him some cooked chicken but he refused to eat anymore. I force-fed him but he spit out everything. He only drank some water. Most of the day he is sleeping. At times I thought he is already gone from the way he lies down.

So I really don't know if his time is up? I spoke to him for the last few weeks telling him that if really he needs to go, just go peacefully and don't struggle. Other than his heart problem, he is healthy because if he is really in pain, he would have teared alot and refused to eat or moved around. But he is still walking around at times. At times he would look into my eyes in a daze. His legs also seem to be weak now and prefers to sit down.

I am very stress now because I had spent more than a few thousands of dollars on his medical treatments and medicines. Each time he was admitted to the hospital his bill would come up to at least S$700.

I am also very worried that he is not eating now although he drinks a little at times. I think it is no use for me to bring him to the hospital again because no use putting him on the drip. Those who have a dying dog, how long do you think they can last before pulling their last breathe? I rather let him go naturally than putting his to sleep. I have no heart to do that.

I hope you can share your experience here because this is my first dog that I have and possibly it would be the last too. It is just so difficult for me to travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs