U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 08:19 AM

7,282 posts, read 17,211,269 times

Advertisements

My brothers dog is 12 years old and has cancer and arthritis.
He hasn't eaten anything in 4 days. How long can a dog last without eating and drinking just a little bit of water?
He's been to the vet and the vet suggests that he be put to sleep but also gave some medication to see if it helps him. He can at least walk now but only when he has to. I put the anti-imflammatory in his mouth and it dissolves but the liver pill, he refuses, even when wrapped in meat.
He's not showing any signs of pain so that's good but he needs to eat and I'm taking care of him (I'm temporarily living at my brothers house) and I'm not used to being around a dog that refuses to eat. This is new to me.
Your advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 08:38 AM

1,738 posts, read 7,496,319 times
peanut butter sometimes works!!!

Old 05-30-2008, 08:55 AM

He liked it at first but he turns that down now too. Thanks for mentioning that.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:59 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,051,223 times
You may have to put the medicine in a meat ball and place the meat ball in as deep as you can (I open the dog mouth and put the meatball as deep as I can). Then holds his mouth close and stokes his throat to induce the swallowing response. I guess you need to make sure that your dog trusts you enough to allow you do it.

Correction: I put the meat ball at the rear end of the tongue. Ask your vet to show you.

Last edited by LingLing; 05-30-2008 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: add correction

Old 05-30-2008, 10:08 AM

Thanks LingLing. I've tried just about every kind of food.
He won't open his mouth at all and I've never forced him to.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:12 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,554,806 times
Song - did you try wrapping it in cheese?

Old 05-30-2008, 10:17 AM

254 posts, read 1,077,096 times
The only way I could get my dog to take a pill at the end of her life was in a Pill Pocket. They sell them at pet stores, and we literally tried everything.

As far as food and water, when a dog refuses to eat, this is usually the first sign that the end is near, though not always. A dog can go several days without food, but only about 2 without water. Have you tried giving the dog boiled chicken and rice?

Old 05-30-2008, 12:27 PM

3,412 posts, read 9,197,198 times
Where is your brother? How long have you been watching this dog?

Dog might be stressing out on the top of everything else, and refuses to eat.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:25 PM

13,293 posts, read 25,459,767 times
It sounds like the dog might be at the end of life. And please remember, it's the dehydration that is more important, not the eating.
My dog, at 11, was apparently in a rare form of liver failure. He refused to eat, and then refused to drink. He was in the ER for four days being diagnosed, on an IV. With the IV, he ate and was normal. Without it, he refused to take anything, including chicken soup. Since I had the terminal diagnosis (via ultrasound), I took him in to be put down.
Since you're housesitting this dog, I'd say you should contact your brother right now. He should have left you instructions about what to do if the dog became ill or deteriorated in some way. If he's already on liver pills, my offhand guess is that his liver failure has increased. I believe death by liver failure isn't uncomfortable per say (although I did give my dog Ultram, just in case, putting it in the back of his throad, holding his muzzle, and stroking his throat). But the dog will likely go into unconsiciousness soon without fluids, and die thereafter.
It does sound from your posts like his liver has reached an endpoint (and apparently the vet thinks so, too).
My thoughts are with you and the dog. It's a very difficult time for those who care for the dog. (RIP, Kiko).

Old 05-30-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Song - did you try wrapping it in cheese?
I've tried 2 different kinds of cheeses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or