Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2023, 10:20 AM

10,952 posts, read 6,711,365 times

Advertisements

I'm a rabid (no pun intended! ) dog lover, but my dogs don't like sitting under tables tied up at outdoor restaurants. I don't know why this is such a thing. They can't interact with other dogs, and because we're always going to dog parks where they get a lot of socialization and play, they don't understand it and don't like it. Phoenix has an awesome place OHSO that allows dogs, but I still don't take them there. Music too loud. It's a great restaurant though. There's another thread about whether domesticated animals are unhappy. Well, this is something that makes my dogs unhappy.

https://abc7.com/dogs-restaurants-ou...pets/13250633/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2023, 11:22 AM

32,509 posts, read 47,521,327 times
My dogs would be happy to go to an outdoor restaurant. They are already required to sit quietly and not beg while people are eating and they would sit quietly by the table and it would be no different than it would be at home. They are already trained to not approach strangers without an invitation and if they are invited they must sit and not be all jumping up on people so they would not be a hazard for the wait staff..

They don't care what I am doing, they want to be with me. If the car is going out, they want to go and if I am out and walking they want to go.

I would think that there are probably humans who are unhappy about the idea of dogs in restaurants.

Being left at home is what makes my dogs unhappy... but only for long enough to make me feel guilty and then they go and take a nap or entertain themselves.

Old 05-16-2023, 11:29 AM

Yes, I've run into more than a few people who hate the idea of a dog friendly restaurant. As for my dogs, they just get bored. They don't beg or approach people, they just stare, like they're thinking "mom do we have to stay long?!" What's really interesting is that my effervescent jumper who adores people sits quietly like her beta always does, looking like she's wondering why the heck she is there. LOL.

When OHSO first opened, a cousin of mine visited with his two big pit bulls (litter mates). They were the sweetest dogs in the world, very well-trained and behaved. Friendly too. I could tell they were bored as well. I just don't see the point of bringing a dog to an outdoor restaurant. OHSO even has a play area for the dogs. My dogs were like "eh!" Maybe the smells hadn't built up quite yet.

All 4 dogs I've mentioned have lots of varied adventures so I'm wondering if that's part of it. Not saying your dogs don't - I'm sure they do.

Old 05-16-2023, 12:15 PM

14,341 posts, read 11,837,307 times
I don't think people necessarily go to the restaurant because they want to take the dogs there...

When it's too hot to leave dogs in the car and they're out with the dogs anyway doing summer things it's good that there are places to stop and eat and have a cocktail while you're out so the dog can come along. This would be a cool thing to have!

Old 05-16-2023, 04:04 PM

22,934 posts, read 18,230,585 times
All but one of my dogs enjoyed going along with me to outdoor eateries. They happened to be people oriented so liked meeting welcoming customers, there were intriguing smells and the chance to stumble on a savory tidbit (I mean a crumb...I don't feed dogs from the table, nor would I permit some stranger to hand food to them) and they preferred being with ME, not sitting at home doing nothing. Most of the time if or when I eat out I'm alone...so I enjoy my dogs' company in return and such excursions keep them better socialized. Obviously, the eatery itself influenced how much they enjoyed it. Not all would be comfortable or convenient for the dog. An overly loud, bustling, cramped place where the dog feels vulnerable to being stepped on, a small place with nothing going on, a place that tolerates untrained unsocialized pets, etc.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-16-2023 at 04:52 PM..

Old 05-16-2023, 04:40 PM

Yes, as nice as OHSO is, it's really a bustling, loud, overstimulating place for a dog in my opinion. Really loud music. Lots of kids out of their seats roaming around the patio. My cattle dog gets snappy around little kids (he was an abuse rescue from a house full of kids) so he has to be watched in that setting.

32 Shea, a couple miles from OHSO, has a really lovely dog friendly patio. It used to be even better before they remodeled it. It had comfy low couches and chairs where you could sit closer to your dog. It was a relaxing place. Lots of trees, shade, babbling fountains, etc. Phoenix's population has skyrocketed since I left and I've noticed when visiting that the patio isn't as relaxing because it's busier now. It's still a nice place though. My dogs did enjoy it more than the other one.

I'm curious how many more people on here take their dogs to a dog friendly restaurant, and what their experience is.

Old 05-16-2023, 05:01 PM

704 posts, read 569,327 times
There are some really low key dogs that hang with their peeps just fine. We have one guy that brings his terrier in and she sits on her own bar stool, just chilling. Its so cool. Personally, my dog likes her hikes and walks, but it's too stimulating in a busy, loud environment. I love pet friendly places, I just don't take my girl there.

Old 05-16-2023, 10:27 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,763,161 times
For me, it's more of a convenience thing - especially during summer months, when it's too warm to leave them in the car. I live in the middle of the mountains, at least 40 minutes from my friends in the city/burbs. So commonly I will have to combine outings, for example by taking Boris to the dog park or a therapy gig, and then meeting up with a friend for lunch/dinner before heading back up the mountain. Or maybe I'm traveling with my dog, and can't leave him in the hotel unattended. Gets a little old doing takeout the whole time, so I'll typically look for restaurants with dog-friendly patios instead.

Boris is fine with this (so was Rudy previously), and behaves himself perfectly. In fact, he rather enjoys the attention from servers and other diners. But we're in a very dog-friendly area, so YMMV! Haven't tried this with the new pup yet, so we'll see how that goes when the time comes. lol

Old 05-16-2023, 10:36 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,763,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I'm curious how many more people on here take their dogs to a dog friendly restaurant, and what their experience is.
I just commented above, but to add to that... yes, it can certainly be both dog-specific and restaurant/time-specific. I don't take mine to a "bustling" environment typically. Usually it's a quiet cafe or outdoor dining area, and rarely at the busiest times. I'm just not that kind of person, since I keep weird hours and work weekends. So you'll more commonly find me dining out on a Friday afternoon, or maybe late-night (after 10pm) on a weekend. For example, I've taken Boris to this pizza place in Santa Cruz as late as midnight, since they're open until 2am Fri-Sun. And again, only because it's more convenient than driving him 30+ minutes back home before meeting up with a friend.

Rudy, my old Cattle Dog mix, was also good with dining out. He was my travel buddy for many years, so became basically "bomb-proof" with cars and restaurants and hotels, etc. A few times I even had to ask permission to bring him inside a restaurant, due to unforeseen weather situations (too hot or cold) when meeting up with someone on a trip. One time that happened, the server at the end of our meal was like "Oh! I forgot he was even here!" when he popped his head out from under the table.

It can also be regional thing; I live in lovely north/coastal California, where the weather is fantastic for like 9-10 months of the year. So we have TONS of restaurants with year-round outdoor seating and patios. Definitely not true if you live in a harsher climate, like New England or Arizona.

Old 05-16-2023, 10:45 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,344,080 times
Dogs love to be with their "pack"... Even if that means sitting under a table next to their humans. They'll be happier there than at home alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs