U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 02:31 PM

160 posts, read 480,646 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We have an adorable 6 year old Bichon Frise who's always been very friendly with other dogs and people. She is a female and was spayed a long time ago.
The past two years we lived in the Middle East where we had to walk her on the leash all the time. During that time she started behaving in an agressive manner towards other dogs especially the ones smaller or the same size as her.
Since we came back to the UK, I have walked her without the leash at the park and she seemed fine with other dogs but got really disappointed the last time when she just went for a yorkshire terrier that was off the leash. I hoped that, that was a one off incident but she repeated the same with another dog I feel so sad that she's not the same as before and I can't let her run around the park anymore. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 02:50 PM

3,412 posts, read 9,187,793 times
Did something happen with the dog that might have triggered that behavior?

You might not even know it, she could have encountered someone's dog or someone who she might have not had a pleasant experience with. Sounds like you need to start over and re-train her, may be take an obedience class, or slowly introduce her to other dogs, just let her watch them from the distance, no close contacts. Eventually get closer, have treats and praise her for not reacting to other dogs presence. She'll turn around.

Good luck!

Old 06-01-2008, 07:35 PM

1,479 posts, read 7,001,849 times
You can resolve this issue with consistent training, as ShepsMom points out. For some good, practical tips, get a copy of Feisty Fido by Patricia McConnell. I work in rescue and we highly recommend her books to foster providers and adopters who are experiencing behavior issues. We get great feedback on how helpful the books are. Amazon.com: Feisty Fido: Patricia B. McConnell, Karen B. London: Books

Old 06-01-2008, 08:42 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,045,767 times
She may feel pain in certain part of her body. Any dog that gets too close may made her feel threatened when she is not in perfect shape (she has no choice but has to accept larger ones). Get a vet to check her out first. Obedience training will always help. Giving treats while passing other dogs will be helpful too (Don’t let them meet. Just walk pass other dogs first until she returns her normal friendly personality).

Old 06-02-2008, 12:19 AM

19,805 posts, read 55,631,864 times
My daughter's older dog started acting real mean to the younger one, for no eason. It went on for a while, until the older dog died suddenly. A necropsy showed she had heart damage. The vet said she was most likely not feeling good when she got mean and had no other way to express it than to say "stay away from me." Take her to the vet for a check=up.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:48 AM

160 posts, read 480,646 times
She has been checked by the vet and she's in pretty good health. The other thing that makes me wonder is the fact that she seems to behave like that more so when my 10 year old is walking her with me. Maybe it's the leash reactivity because she was constantly walked on the leash for two years and that's when this problem started.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:59 AM

5,640 posts, read 17,261,277 times
I have know several bichons who have been dog aggressive. People OK though... You are just going to have to work with her. I recommend watching "dog whisperer" the cesar millan show. He deals with this problem often... he can give you tips. And try to go to doggie obedience classes, you and the dog will enjoy it.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:55 AM

4 posts, read 7,878 times
Default bichon frise.

My bichon has just turned very aggressive towards me and my mom to the extent where he has tried to bite us, he has got very protective over his toys,food and bed, i dont why he has become like this he was always a good little dog,its getting to the point where we are getting scared of him, i think he thins he rules the house.... any ideas on whats causing this and how to stop it? because we dont want to give him up, he is one and a half years old!!!

Old 05-01-2012, 02:10 AM

3,398 posts, read 7,119,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natashaI View Post
My bichon has just turned very aggressive towards me and my mom to the extent where he has tried to bite us, he has got very protective over his toys,food and bed, i dont why he has become like this he was always a good little dog,its getting to the point where we are getting scared of him, i think he thins he rules the house.... any ideas on whats causing this and how to stop it? because we dont want to give him up, he is one and a half years old!!!
Question.

Has he snapped before and there was no correction?

I have an 80lb dog and a 75lb, and if they became the way you're describing with the things *I* as Alpha gave them they'd be in deep doo doo. My oldest has gotten possessive of things several times and we had to have a 'conversation' and a reminder of who was boss. It sounds like your dog has forgotten who runs the show.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:33 AM

12,371 posts, read 31,254,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natashaI View Post
He at the age where hes testing you DONT let him get away with this or you will have a monster on your hands!
1 IF not nutered get him nutered asap!
2 Correct him Everytime he acts this way!
3 Handle toys, etc Reward when he behaves correctly!
4 Take him to Obedience Classes!
5 Dont Tease him! When feeding him Make him Sit Before you place his food on the floor! Make him Move if you want to sit down where hes at!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs