Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 08:52 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,900 times

Advertisements

Shihtzu's are extremely intelligent. But, have you considered the upkeep? Just keep in mind that all long hair dogs require regular (daily) brushing. And, it's important to keep the hair out of thier eyes all of the time - or it can effect their eyes and even thier vision.

With a 7 year old, I would go for a medium to large size, year old dog... and one with shorter hair... As you say, you're the one who is taking care of them.

Bringing your daughter to a shelter and allowing her to pick out a dog is a really good idea. You will be saving a life and your daughter will love any dog that she picks out!

Last edited by World Citizen; 06-02-2008 at 09:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 09:12 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,276,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I have read that they can be a handful, too.

I think the best criteria is to pick a dog that will fit your budget (bigger dog = bigger food bills), is safe for your daughter (temperament, bite potential, allergy considerations) and exercise requirements (if there are high or even moderate size requirements, they can be destructive or have separation anxiety).

Dogs and their Reliability With Children (http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/children.htm - broken link)

Read Paws to Consider at your local library.

Amazon.com: Paws to Consider: Choosing the Right Dog for You and Your Family: Brian Kilcommons, Sarah Wilson: Books
my aussie is a mini ...18 pounds! so small is on my side but sometimes you need a big dog to huge! but I totally agree and nice links!

Old 06-02-2008, 09:27 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,900 times
I always had big dogs growing up. They're like siblings... As far as jumping up, you just have to teach them not to.

Larger dogs are generally better with children... temperment wise.

After having larger dogs all my life, I treated my Shihtzu like he was a big dog... He was too little to play frisbee very well but he tried to! ... poor little guy!

Old 06-02-2008, 12:48 PM

960 posts, read 1,687,449 times
I agree with all the posters who suggest taking your daughter to the shelter.
I went to several shelters in my search for a dog. I had a preconceived notion that I wanted something cute and fluffy. I ended up having a "love at first sight" moment when I layed my eyes on my MinPin. She's definately not fluffy or cute...but she is absolutely gorgeous.
Give your daughter the chance to see the many wonderful sizes, shapes, colors and breeds in the shelters. She will know which dog is for her when she sees it.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:41 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,276,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
my aussie is a mini ...18 pounds! so small is on my side but sometimes you need a big dog to huge! but I totally agree and nice links!
I meant big dog to hug! bleh, ya'll knew what I meant!

Old 06-02-2008, 04:41 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times
Adopt.. There are wayyy to many animals in the shelters that need loving homes!!!

Old 06-02-2008, 04:48 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,672,933 times
We researched dogs for two years before we got our maltese, Tiger. He is the most gentlemanly dog we've ever owned. I highly recommend this breed for children and they are non-shedding which is a big plus. We also have a yorkiepoo and a shih tzu poodle mix and they're good dogs too, but it's hard to beat the maltese. I think your daughter would probably like any of the little, furry, poodle mixes and they're much easier to find at a shelter than a maltese.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:30 PM

747 posts, read 2,105,625 times
Well, we found a puppy that Alex liked at the CLT humane society today. She is a black and white doxie mix named Gypsy. She is only 8 weeks and very shy, she had only been at the pound since yesterday. Once out of the cage, she fell in love with Alex and vice versa. We take her home in a few days after she is spayed, and we will post a picture of the happy couple. Thanks to everyone who suggested staying with Adoption. Mike

Old 06-04-2008, 12:42 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times
Well, congrats on the new arrival! Mike, be sure and post pictures...that "love at first sight" thing is a tough one to beat. Can't wait to hear more about your new addition.

Wow - another dog finds a happy home! Great work, Mike and Alex!

Old 06-04-2008, 12:49 PM

960 posts, read 1,687,449 times
Congratulations on adopting your new family member!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs