U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 08:11 PM

1,874 posts, read 6,888,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Have you lined up a vet local to take the pup to when you get him home??
I sent out emails to all my neighbors/friends and there was one vet that was a winner by a large margin The good news is he is right around the corner. I plan on making an appt with him this next week to get a feel for why everyone loves him. He also offers kenneling at his facility if by chance we ever needed that while we left town. Of course we have several teens in the neighborhood who are already volunteering their services for that too! Does anyone have a list of specific questions one should ask when interviewing a vet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 08:58 PM

12,395 posts, read 31,369,596 times
You might need to start another thread for vet questions......Its been sooo long since I interviewed a vet ....brain dead!!

Old 06-07-2008, 11:31 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,650,323 times
CAKD,

Chew toys...Some thing thick and solid. What I mean is something that is not hollow. Something rubber. The kong toys are great! They have treat slots where you can put a tasty morsels into. They go nuts, well ours did when they were pups. Tennis balls tend to fray and they'll swallow the pieces. No raw hides. I feel it's not good for digestion. And please avoid those greenies. They are the worse!

Food. My personal preference is Innova. The second is Canidae. They were never on the FDA recall list for dog food. Here's the link....

Search for Pet Food Recalls
But that's my preference, please do your research.

Vet. Are you in the CLT area or RDU. Because I lived in CLT, and I know a few excellent vets out there. I could give you a few names

Thanks for the kind words. Once again, Congrats and good luck!

Old 06-08-2008, 02:10 AM

18,696 posts, read 36,372,422 times
I purchased a pup once and had about a 6 hour drive. But I got a motel room that was pet friendly for 2 nights. I drove down and stayed the night and the next day about 10 I picked up the pup. I took him back to the motel and played with him and gave him lots of attention. I walked him about every hour and a half and got him fairly used to the leash. We bonded quite well. I kept him up til about 11pm playing with him and petting him and talking to him. Got up about 5 and walked him again. Went and had breakfast and got back and walked him around for about 45 minutes. Then checked out. Didn't use a pet carrier as I was in a pickup. Just set him on the seat next to me.

He spent most of the trip sleeping with his head laying across my leg. I stopped about every 1.5 hours, not at rest areas but out in the country on a county road. Got him out and walked and played with him for about 30 minutes. He never had an accident in my truck, he was very well behaved because he had some trust in me. We bonded quite well. When he would wake up and look around I would pet him and talk to him. Was a very good trip.

Well worth the extra night in the motel.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 06-08-2008, 07:03 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,020,939 times
I've driven with my dog that amount of time quite a bit - I have her in a crate on the back seat, with tons of fleece blankets in the crate. She's safe and seems to enjoy it! For a puppy, maybe bring extra blankets in case they pee, and stop often to let them out.

My dog doesn't like to eat or drink when I put her water bowl outside at the rest areas. I think the places freak her out, so when we stop I put the food bowl in the crate and she eats and drinks there.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
You might need to start another thread for vet questions......Its been sooo long since I interviewed a vet ....brain dead!!
Good idea!

Old 06-08-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
CAKD,

Chew toys...Some thing thick and solid. What I mean is something that is not hollow. Something rubber. The kong toys are great! They have treat slots where you can put a tasty morsels into. They go nuts, well ours did when they were pups. Tennis balls tend to fray and they'll swallow the pieces. No raw hides. I feel it's not good for digestion. And please avoid those greenies. They are the worse!

Food. My personal preference is Innova. The second is Canidae. They were never on the FDA recall list for dog food. Here's the link....

Search for Pet Food Recalls
But that's my preference, please do your research.

Vet. Are you in the CLT area or RDU. Because I lived in CLT, and I know a few excellent vets out there. I could give you a few names

Thanks for the kind words. Once again, Congrats and good luck!

A Kong it is! Thanks for the link to the pet food recalls. Perfect! We are in the RDU area.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
I've driven with my dog that amount of time quite a bit - I have her in a crate on the back seat, with tons of fleece blankets in the crate. She's safe and seems to enjoy it! For a puppy, maybe bring extra blankets in case they pee, and stop often to let them out.

My dog doesn't like to eat or drink when I put her water bowl outside at the rest areas. I think the places freak her out, so when we stop I put the food bowl in the crate and she eats and drinks there.

That is good to know about the food in the crate. Comfort zone I suppose! We are bringing a blanket we can expose the mom to so she has her mothers scent to travel with. But we will pack extra blankets just in case! Thanks!

Old 06-08-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I purchased a pup once and had about a 6 hour drive. But I got a motel room that was pet friendly for 2 nights. I drove down and stayed the night and the next day about 10 I picked up the pup. I took him back to the motel and played with him and gave him lots of attention. I walked him about every hour and a half and got him fairly used to the leash. We bonded quite well. I kept him up til about 11pm playing with him and petting him and talking to him. Got up about 5 and walked him again. Went and had breakfast and got back and walked him around for about 45 minutes. Then checked out. Didn't use a pet carrier as I was in a pickup. Just set him on the seat next to me.

He spent most of the trip sleeping with his head laying across my leg. I stopped about every 1.5 hours, not at rest areas but out in the country on a county road. Got him out and walked and played with him for about 30 minutes. He never had an accident in my truck, he was very well behaved because he had some trust in me. We bonded quite well. When he would wake up and look around I would pet him and talk to him. Was a very good trip.

Well worth the extra night in the motel.

Your travels with your new pup were heart warming to read. I can picture it all in my mind quite easily We do plan on staying in a hotel the first night and having a lot of time with the pup to bond and let her get to know us. Your story just confirmed that plan for us, thank you for sharing.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:10 PM

2,520 posts, read 5,346,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
Your travels with your new pup were heart warming to read. I can picture it all in my mind quite easily We do plan on staying in a hotel the first night and having a lot of time with the pup to bond and let her get to know us. Your story just confirmed that plan for us, thank you for sharing.
How exciting for you! I will be getting another pup at the end of July that I plan to drive up for. I have gotten several puppies from out of state. I would be concerned about the hotel's carpet w/ your new pup, especially being she won't be fully vaccinated and I doubt pet friendly hotels clean the carpet between doggie guests. Is it possible to spend the night, then pick her up the next day and drive back? I did that a couple years ago when I got my westie. At only 2 lbs, I didn't want to fly him in cargo by himself. I'm in N.Fla and flew into Arkansas, rented a car and spent the night in a hotel. I drove out to the breeders the next morning. I had one of the Shar-pei soft crates that he traveled in. I used wee-wee pads at the airport for him to stand on in the restrooms. He never had one accident in his crate.

I also bought a choc.lab from a breeder in VA. I checked w/ the airlines and was told he'd be too big to travel in coach, so I had him flown here in cargo. I was a nervous wreck waiting for him, but he was such a big pup, he did fine.

Once again I'm getting another pup. This time it's a newfie and I'm going to drive the 9 hrs one way, spend the night and bring him back the next day. I will use wee-wee pads at stops for him to go on. I will also have bacterial wipes for his paws to wipe them off if they do touch the ground. I'll crate him driving. I'm sure you've heard before how puppies don't like to eliminate where they sleep. This is so true. I have crates in every size to change as my pup grows. A pup will whine or get restless when they have to "potty". If he's sleeping, I'll keep driving. When he wakes, I'll find a place to stop and see if he has to go. I'll only feed him what the breeder gives me, but will slowly transition into the diet we feed our other dogs.

Is this your only dog? A great idea for those adding a pup to a family of existing dogs is to mail a puppy blanket w/ a large self-addressed stamped envelope. A week before the pup comes home, have the breeder rub the pup down w/ the blanket and mail it back. I introduce all of my dogs to the blanket and put the blanket in the crate the pup will be staying in. My dogs smell the crate and seem to know someone is coming. When the pup does come, it's like they already have his scent.

Didn't mean to write a book. I'd love to see pics of your pup when you get her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs