U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 05:25 PM

1,877 posts, read 6,899,456 times

Advertisements

In three weeks we will be leaving to pick our 9 week old puppy up from the breeder in MI and bringing her home to NC. The drive home with her will be around 12 hours plus. There is a good chance we may also be getting her brother in the deal But we don't know for sure yet. So it could mean two puppies on this long drive. I would love any advice and ideas on how to make this drive the easiest possible. Our 3 kids will be with us as well and luckily we have a large SUV to accomodate us all. We do plan on breaking up the drive by staying overnight half way through. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 06:11 PM

12,432 posts, read 31,483,930 times
Most likely they will sleep a lot. Stop every once in a while so they can potty..and play a bit...to be sure in the car they sleep. Does the breeder have them use to collar & leash..If not ask her too. Also pick up tags with your address & phone number on it.
IF the pups ARE 3 month old have the breeder get her vet to give them Rabies shots...be sure to remburse her for all this!! This way if you are stopped for any reason the pups are covered by most state laws. Oh bring leashes & collars for them & empty water jugs for the breeder to fill with water they are use to...bowls...get food they are use to also. For accidents & cleanup when you stop paper towel & plastic bags.....oh have fun!! You just add 2 more babies to your house.....

Old 06-03-2008, 06:38 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,840,158 times
Crates for your trip...get a big enough one so they can stay together or if they are too big get ones side by side.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,038 times
young pups have a tendicy to get motion sick. over the counter gravel is safe and effective. ask a vet for dosage by weight if you know their weight or guesstimate. don't rely on drugstore personel dosage is very different for animals then for humans. so ask the vet.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:05 PM

3,412 posts, read 9,213,250 times
Not a biggie, the only thing is, you will need frequent stops, 9 week old will be "potty" happy quiet often. You can also put plastic covers under the blanket that puppy will be sleeping in (crate perhaps?) so everything stays clean in your SUV. Have plenty of water, what kind of food are you getting for the pup?

Enjoy your ride!!

Old 06-03-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Most likely they will sleep a lot. Stop every once in a while so they can potty..and play a bit...to be sure in the car they sleep. Does the breeder have them use to collar & leash..If not ask her too. Also pick up tags with your address & phone number on it.
IF the pups ARE 3 month old have the breeder get her vet to give them Rabies shots...be sure to remburse her for all this!! This way if you are stopped for any reason the pups are covered by most state laws. Oh bring leashes & collars for them & empty water jugs for the breeder to fill with water they are use to...bowls...get food they are use to also. For accidents & cleanup when you stop paper towel & plastic bags.....oh have fun!! You just add 2 more babies to your house.....
Not 3 months yet. I was told to have collars and leash since rest stops only allow dogs on the leash. I am looking into a travel water bowl thing on Pet Smart that has gotten good reviews. Thanks

Old 06-03-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Crates for your trip...get a big enough one so they can stay together or if they are too big get ones side by side.
Yes we will have a crate. Good idea maybe to get one larger one so they can be together vs two smaller ones. Thanks!

Old 06-03-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirlsquirlgirl View Post
young pups have a tendicy to get motion sick. over the counter gravel is safe and effective. ask a vet for dosage by weight if you know their weight or guesstimate. don't rely on drugstore personel dosage is very different for animals then for humans. so ask the vet.
This is something that I am the most worried about. I have heard about the motion sickness and am afraid of that. I will contact a vet. A sick puppy (or 2 ) would not be the funnest thng to deal with for 12 plus hours

Old 06-03-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Not a biggie, the only thing is, you will need frequent stops, 9 week old will be "potty" happy quiet often. You can also put plastic covers under the blanket that puppy will be sleeping in (crate perhaps?) so everything stays clean in your SUV. Have plenty of water, what kind of food are you getting for the pup?

Enjoy your ride!!
The breeder will supply us with the initial food needed. It is Diamond Naturals. I know she recommends a certain type of food until a certain age. So they will be used to the food and water. I bought some puppy pads to line the bottom of the crate/car with. Someone told me it was a good idea to bring a blanket and have the mom lie on it for a bit before taking it and the puppy home. Evidentally the moms smell is comforting to the pups. This makes sense to me but I wonder how long the blanket needs to be exposed to the mom for this to work! We will only be with the breeder for a couple hours. I also have been looking into a SUV liner that is supposed to be water proof etc and comfortable for the dogs to lie on. Any idea how often often stops are? I mean do we stop once and hour once every two hours? Any ideas on this? Thanks!

Old 06-03-2008, 08:30 PM

3,412 posts, read 9,213,250 times
We travel from FL to Upstate NY with 2 dogs, but they are grown and we usually stop every 2-3 hours. Your puppy will be sleeping most of the way, that's what puppies do May be breeder can give you blanket that mom is sleeping on now? Exchange with yours? Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs