U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 05:29 PM

1,856 posts, read 6,687,731 times

Advertisements

Our breeder has recommended this as our puppy food of choice for our new pup/s. While doing some research on the food I read on a couple other sites that Kirkland puppy food is the same food Diamond Naturals except it is packaged for CostCo under the Kirkland name. Does anyone have any experience with this? I am very interested since CostCo charges about 50% less for it than the "name brand" and we are already members there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 11:36 PM

4,574 posts, read 15,241,748 times
Diamond dog foods have had far too many recalls int he past for me to be comfortable with feeding.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Diamond dog foods have had far too many recalls int he past for me to be comfortable with feeding.
In my research they didn't seem to have any more than many of the brands of dog food. The naturals line has not had any that I can find. What dog foods have had no recalls?

Old 06-04-2008, 02:29 PM

1,479 posts, read 6,755,204 times
Canidae, Fromm, Flint River, Solid Gold, Abady, Merrick, Wellness and Wysong are all excellent foods and do not have a history of recalls.

Some breeders, like some vets, recommend foods from companies with whom they have a relationship. In exchange for significant discounts, they recommend the food to clients. I'm not saying that's the case with your breeder, but there are much better foods than Diamond brands. Even if a particular line has not been recalled, many different lines could be made in the same plant so cross-contamination is always possible.

If you decide to change foods, mix a bit of the new with the old to make a gentle transition and help avoid tummy problems that might result from a sudden change.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
Canidae, Fromm, Flint River, Solid Gold, Abady, Merrick, Wellness and Wysong are all excellent foods and do not have a history of recalls.

Some breeders, like some vets, recommend foods from companies with whom they have a relationship. In exchange for significant discounts, they recommend the food to clients. I'm not saying that's the case with your breeder, but there are much better foods than Diamond brands. Even if a particular line has not been recalled, many different lines could be made in the same plant so cross-contamination is always possible.

If you decide to change foods, mix a bit of the new with the old to make a gentle transition and help avoid tummy problems that might result from a sudden change.
Thank you for taking the time to list them. Do you know if there is a place that I can look up ingredients of each and a break down of protien, fat etc.? Thanks again

Old 06-04-2008, 08:04 PM

1,479 posts, read 6,755,204 times
Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble has the most recent info. This website might also be helpful: The Dog Food Project - Grading kibble - easily?

I highly recommend the Whole Dog Journal, and if you don't already subscribe, you might want to check it out. (Whole Dog Journal is the monthly guide to natural dog care and training.) It has great information about food, training, nutrition, wellness....and each year they review dog foods and publish the results.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:04 PM

4,574 posts, read 15,241,748 times
Quote:
Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble has the most recent info. This website might also be helpful: The Dog Food Project - Grading kibble - easily?

I highly recommend the Whole Dog Journal, and if you don't already subscribe, you might want to check it out. (Whole Dog Journal is the monthly guide to natural dog care and training.) It has great information about food, training, nutrition, wellness....and each year they review dog foods and publish the results.
Thanks, Leorah. I must have missed the OP's reply.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:28 AM

4,541 posts, read 12,683,076 times
My dog has a serious reaction to Diamond Dog Foods a couple of months ago. Someone recommended that I purchase thier Natural, Adult for Large Breeds. After a few weeks, he developed serious diarrhea and vomiting... and he refused to eat the food. I sincerely thought my dog was going to die.

I contacted the company via email and they assured me that there was no recall currently... and, they let me return the food. (but, the money isn't the issue here... my dog was really sick!)

I have feed my dog IAMS, Eukaneuba, even Purina One.. and have never had a problem with any of those foods. But, the Diamond food almost killed him.. (and it wasn't due to a recalled batch)

just thought you should know

Old 06-05-2008, 07:54 AM

13,773 posts, read 32,822,245 times
HB.. glad your pup is OK.. I thought of coccidia too.. glad you didn't have to go through that. You might want to read up on dog food quality.
Dog Food Reviews - Main Index - Powered by ReviewPost

I use to feed my herd Pedigree and tried Diamond until I read up on dog food. You don't have to feed them as much either. Plus since I switched to a better brand, there is a lot less poop to clean up.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:

Thank you Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs