Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 12:52 PM

27 posts, read 92,870 times

Advertisements

Thanks to each and every one of you for your poignant and sweet posts. I'm so sorry to hear about your losses as well but so appreciate knowing there are those who truly understand what we're going through. Leorah, your story made me cry, but I love it. Dogs are like us in so many ways, aren't they? It's no wonder that we grieve for them as much as we do. Riveree, you are very wise and I'm so sorry for your loss too. It certainly is a process for the surviving dogs as well as for us and it's good to know that things get better for them as time passes. Dashdog, I'm so sorry your dogs are in this same boat and I will let you know how things go for Sadie after tomorrow. I do think she senses what is happening as I think Murphy is also trying to convey that he needs us to do this for him. He seemed restless last night and kept getting up and then laying back down. My husband got up thinking he might need to go outside but then came upstairs to say he was going to sleep downstairs to keep him company as it didn't appear he had the energy to climb the stairs. Ten minutes later Murphy was at the top of the stairs -- he just wanted to be where he's most comfortable at night. I don't know that I'll be in any shape to post tomorrow, but will do so on the weekend. Thanks again to you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 09:47 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,909,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
What I found interesting was how the dogs processed their grief. It seems as though they don't go into denial, they don't really question why, they just process. And so they seem to work through it maybe a little more quickly and thoroughly than we humans do.
Riveree, I never thought of it that way before, and you're right! I guess we spend too much time rationalizing and "if-onlying."

This sounds weird, but over the years I've found that I can handle these situations better when I try to anticipate them well in advance. When I have a dog that is near the end of its life or seriously ill, I start imagining what it will be like to lose him. This process of visualization seems to help me get through the actual event.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:58 PM

27 posts, read 92,870 times
Well, we got through Friday. Murphy was calm at the vet's office and the procedure was quick and painless. He looked very peaceful afterwards. We brought Sadie to see him and surprisingly, she had no reaction to him. I don't know if it was because she couldn't see him or what, but she did give his head a quick sniff. I hope she understood what had happened, but I have no way of knowing. Also surprisingly, she's been very calm and fine at home and doesn't really seem to miss Murph. The cat misses him and actually has tried to make contact with Sadie, but she doesn't even notice. She has been sleeping a LOT but I don't know if it's because it's over 100 degrees or if she's perhaps a little depressed. Perhaps both.

Thanks again for your kind words and help, everybody.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:44 PM

7,334 posts, read 2,742,485 times
Merion, you and Sadie have been in my thoughts the last few days. I cannot imagine the heartbreak for both of you. I dread the time (hopefully in the far future) that I lose one of mine...dread for myself and the one left. The stories here, I hope, have helped with your loss as well as anything other than time could.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:53 PM

960 posts, read 1,687,449 times
Sorry for the loss of your dog Murphy.
I hope you, Sadie and your cat will all feel better soon.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:12 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,909,997 times
Ahh, Merion, I'm so very sorry for your loss....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs