U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 11:13 AM

795 posts, read 3,916,171 times

Advertisements

oh congratulations, rapture! that is so exciting!

don't forget the heartguard, or other monthly heartworm preventative.

also, one thing you might want to get ahead of time are her dog tags with your name and number on them.

oh, and, i would make one suggestion that your other posters haven't agreed with thus far. i WOULD suggest a retractable leash. i've used one with my shih tzu for 11 years, and i've found it to be very useful. if you train your dog to respond to commands, you will still be in charge of her on a retractable and it will give you a freedom that you don't have with a standard leash. and, of course, i am sure you would use caution when approaching any other dog regardless of what kind of leash you had your own dog on. also, you can lock a retractable and make it as short as you'd like in the meantime while you are getting to know your new girl and she you. i would say maybe this should be something you should try out and decide for yourself.

good luck, it sounds like you're mostly prepared already!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 01:38 PM

19,817 posts, read 55,828,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
Food? Premium feed or Big Box brands...There is a huge difference. With the big scare last year, you need to consider the food. We always used Innova or Canindae. Those product use real meat and veggies. Unlike the Big box brands use Wheat! Dogs eat wheat?

........!!!!
Last year my vet called me to tell me the Royal Canin Hypoallergenic food they sold me (for a few years) had been put on the contaminated food list. Even the best, most reliable brands are not immune.

Old 06-07-2008, 01:48 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,650,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Last year my vet called me to tell me the Royal Canin Hypoallergenic food they sold me (for a few years) had been put on the contaminated food list. Even the best, most reliable brands are not immune.
ROYAL CANIN and CANIDAE are totally two different food brands from totally two different companies. I've done my homework. I looked. CANIDAE was never on the list, but ROYAL CANIN was. Once again... INNOVA and CANIDAE. Trust me, I'm not being ACCUSTATORY. Those names do get mixed up all the time. But as an active breeder, I know my care for french bulldogs is a priorty. And the food I give them is one of them. They were never affected by the recalls from last year. Canidae and Innova are not available in the Big Box stores. You can only get them at feed or specialty stores! All the breeders that I associate within my area played it smart several years ago! And we're so glad! Those two companies never let us down! The most reliable brands were immune to the recall! Both were grown and made in the US. Not grown in China and manufactured in the US. Both companies are strickly US brands w/ zero foriegn involvement.

Here's the list from the FDA

Search for Pet Food Recalls

Last edited by brikag; 06-07-2008 at 02:03 PM..

Old 06-07-2008, 02:21 PM

13,297 posts, read 25,484,841 times
Congratulations and best wishes with your new friend!
One thing I got right away was a temporary tag I.D. for the collar, until I could get one stamped with the dog's name, and until I got him microchipped. I had a vet visit almost right away just to say hello and get his file started, and to get the microchip done. Also, here, heartworm test, to start heartworm preventative if necessary.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:24 PM

4,286 posts, read 13,374,958 times
I didn't read everything posted yet but thanks to everyone for the kind words and info.

I just got back from the shelter and adopted her. She is so cute and petite, about 7lbs. She is 1.5 years old and very friendly, gave me lots of kisses and not shy at all. They are taking her to the vet for shots and to be spayed. I can pick her up next week, I just want to cry because I've been waiting so long for her and she's so sweet. Just perfect.

I hope I make her as happy as I know she is going to make me.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:59 PM

4,654 posts, read 15,747,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I didn't read everything posted yet but thanks to everyone for the kind words and info.

I just got back from the shelter and adopted her. She is so cute and petite, about 7lbs. She is 1.5 years old and very friendly, gave me lots of kisses and not shy at all. They are taking her to the vet for shots and to be spayed. I can pick her up next week, I just want to cry because I've been waiting so long for her and she's so sweet. Just perfect.

I hope I make her as happy as I know she is going to make me.
Oh I can't wait to see pix of your new baby

Old 06-07-2008, 06:21 PM

4,707 posts, read 10,139,293 times
Congrats on the new dog. I will agree with the others on all the suggestions. I will say spend the money on a good food as in the long run it is well worth every penny as you will have a healthier dog and less vet visits. My dogs have eaten Innova for years, mixed with some supplements and people always ask me what I bathe my dogs with as their coats are so healthy and shiney and I laugh as my dogs get maybe 1 to 2 baths a year. The real secret is what goes in the dog not what goes on the dog. My vet use to always ask what I fed the dogs as their skin and coats and over all health is so good. So do spend money on a good food and the ones people have listed here are all excellent choices. Whole dog Journal rates the dogs food about once a year and to even get in the rating the food have to be top of the line.

I find it interesting that so many people seem against the retractable leashes as I have a 26 ft flexi lead and walk the two dogs on one with two bungee extensions at the end and have actually done 3 dogs this way with no problems. If I need my dogs back by me I call them! If I am around traffic I keep the lead short. It is also great for training a recall and tossing toys when we are at a park that is not leash free. I will say you do have to be very careful as if the rope part slides across your skin or you grab onto the actual rope in an emergency and it pulls through your hand you can get a very bad deep slash or a rope burn. I learned that when Jazz was a puppy and a skate boarder passed by and being a herding breed she took off after it and pulled the rope across my arm and it sliced my arm like a knife, but that was the only problem I have ever had with it and I have used it everyday for the past 12 years. Once you learn the secrets of using them they are great.

If you are old enough to remember the old purina commercials " ALL YOU ADD IS LOVE" which it sounds like you are ready to do! May the two of you have many happy years together!

Last edited by Dashdog; 06-07-2008 at 06:32 PM..

Old 06-09-2008, 07:08 AM

4,286 posts, read 13,374,958 times
ok, I'm doing the shopping today and picking her up tomorrow!

Here's a pic from Petfinder. More to come!
Attached Thumbnails
Finially found the one!-nc448.jpg  

Old 06-09-2008, 07:10 AM

1,738 posts, read 7,500,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
ok, I'm doing the shopping today and picking her up tomorrow!

Here's a pic from Petfinder. More to come!
she's pretty. ...I'm a little jealous of her hair! Its beautiful!

Congrats!

Old 06-09-2008, 09:58 AM

3,508 posts, read 12,142,182 times
Get her a colorful little backpack too,to carry her stuff in when you go places. Doggie wipes! Don't get flea collar as someone suggested. Talk to your vet about Frontline Plus or other once a month applications.
Dog parks...I would never take mine there. Walking them around the neighborhood is a good thing. Familiarize your dog in the surroundings.
Training is a must. Simple, easy voice commands are the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs