U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 06:50 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,792,889 times

Advertisements

Rapture.. when I got Gabby my weim from SPCA she weighed 40 lbs and was skin and bones. She wouldn't eat anything.. I called the SPCA and they said she wasn't eating much there either. If you want to fatten her up make some satin balls. Satin Ball recipe for dogs who won't eat (http://theherbs.info/Pets/satinball.html - broken link)
Rescue groups use them for underweight dogs. I had to hand feed them to her for several days then put some in a bowl with dry food.
Let's just say now, she will eat any and everything.

Before

Now

Last edited by Keeper; 06-12-2008 at 06:58 AM.. Reason: re-arranged photos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 08:38 AM

4,286 posts, read 13,356,970 times
keeper - thank you. Gabby is so pretty and looks very healthy! I did get her to eat but only wet food, so I'm just leaving the dry out with fresh water and I'll give her the wet a few times a day.

She seems to pee a lot. I don't know if that's normal but she will pee outside (I take her out almost every hour) and then 15 minutes later she will pee again in the house? Yesterday she hardly ate anything but pooped four times, thankfully 3 times outside. She did just get all her shots, spayed and was moved around several times in a short amount of time, so I'm sure it's going to take time to feel better and comfortable.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:23 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,792,889 times
I am sure she will settle in.. poor thing has been shuffled around a lot in the last few weeks. Maybe one of the dog guru's can give you an idea on the pee'ing in the house after just going outside.

Good luck and let us know how she is doing.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:58 PM

17,850 posts, read 20,149,427 times
I completely agree with everything cleosmom and Keeper posted and would just like to add that you should also talk to your vet about heart-worm medication.

Congratulations on your new family member.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:59 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,922,583 times
Just want to mention for dachshund owners, there is a great website: where you can meet other doxie lovers, get good advice and post photos.http://www.hotdogblog.com

Old 06-12-2008, 07:57 PM

4,651 posts, read 15,719,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
She seems to pee a lot. I don't know if that's normal but she will pee outside (I take her out almost every hour) and then 15 minutes later she will pee again in the house? Yesterday she hardly ate anything but pooped four times, thankfully 3 times outside. She did just get all her shots, spayed and was moved around several times in a short amount of time, so I'm sure it's going to take time to feel better and comfortable.
This is all new to her and well let's face that's the number two on the list of difficult breeds to housetrain.

After she settles in a bit more you might actually want to bring this to the attention of your vet. Is she drinkings an excess amount of water as well as frequently urinating?

When you say she hardly ate, what food and how much are you serving her?

Old 06-12-2008, 08:50 PM

1,479 posts, read 7,005,668 times
Just a thought: The shelter might have thought she was trained because she was in a confined area, and many dogs won't "go" in a crate or confined area, so they hold it. Your house is much larger than a crate and she doesn't know that it isn't okay to go anywhere she wants. If you don't want to crate her, keep her on a leash attached to your waist and watch her all of the time. Yes, it will be time-consuming, but worth it. When she starts looking like she wants to pee, get her outside quick and praise her when she goes. You need to set her up to succeed. Structure, schedule and consistency are key to success.

Has she been checked for a UTI?

Old 06-13-2008, 09:02 PM

I don't think the vet checked for UTI. I think she was left in a crate all day because she keeps peeing on herself and doesn't seem to mind. I'm working really hard wih her and hopefully she will learn soon.

Two questions - she also trys to eat poop (sorry so gross) not just hers but any she locates outside. Any tricks to stop that? Someone said Deter pills to make the poop smell bad but she tries to eat poop from deer and neighbors dogs too.

What's good for bad breath? I know it's funny to ask this after saying she eats poop. I bought one of those bad breath bones, which are not cheap and she want's nothing to do with it. Are there any natural remedies that are safe for dogs?

Old 06-13-2008, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,512 times
Smile No Flea Collar

I agree no flea collar!!!! I put a flea and tick collar on my Lhasa Apso about two years ago and it ate right through his neck. He had a nasty sore on his neck. The vet advised me to use a differnt mediation that I put onto the back of his neck. I suggest you consult with a vet before buying over the counter flea and tick remodies. Good Luck with your new friend!!!

Old 06-14-2008, 07:51 AM

I'm not using a flea collar. The vet suggested Advantix, so we bought that.

This morning she won't eat anything, I tried three different kinds of food. Is it possible she is just not hungry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs