U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 05:49 PM

261 posts, read 1,099,560 times

Advertisements

I'm curious to know if anyone else who owns a Maltese finds their dog to be rather fragile? My sweet little boy, Spike, is 3 1/2. We've had him since he was 10 weeks old. What a great dog he is!

He seems fragile though. Recently, he experienced a sudden bout of back pain that required a Sunday night visit to the emergency vet clinic. His pain was severe and required pain medication in addition to a cortisone type drug for inflammation. In the past, on random occasions, he has had a sore leg, and sore hip. He also has extreme injection site pain ever time he gets a shot at the vets office. We are very cautious to keep him out of situations where he could be injured, yet he has these episodes.

He also gets this horrible breathing problem if he runs too much, which scares me half to death.

I owned a pekingnese that lived to be 17 years old. My hopes are to take good care of my Spikey so he stays with us at least that long!

This little fellow is just the best friend we could have asked for

Has anyone else had similar issues with their Maltese?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 09:11 PM

7,136 posts, read 10,963,627 times
My maltese, Tiger, is now eight years old and has not had any health issues. I'm sorry to hear that your Spike is so fragile. Do you know anything about his parents? I will say my maltese is the most gentlemanly dog we have ever owned. He's really so polite and sweet. I really like this breed. I also have a shih tzu poodle mix and a yorkiepoo. They are all nice, but the maltese is an exceptional dog. My DH and I say he's probably the best dog we'll ever have.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:32 AM

261 posts, read 1,099,560 times
We did see his parents onsite there at the breeder's kennel, and they didn't have any outward signs of any problems. I guess it's just something inherent to Spike himself. We'll just continue to be vigilant and protective of him.

I would certainly own another Maltese, even though we've had these issues with Spike. We've found him to be easy to train, amazingly sweet and lovable. However, he has tried to bite me several times. Not out of meaness, but as an instinctive pain reflex. I'm the one who does the grooming and bathing. He really enjoys being combed, but I've learned not to spend too much time combing his hind quarters or back left leg. I don't realize he's having a pain problem until I touch his hip or leg and he yelps and bites at me. He always looks so apologetic after he does this, and will lick me and lean against me and look up with sad brown eyes.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:17 PM

102 posts, read 280,452 times
I have had 2 maltese, male & female. I would have to say they consider toy breeds fragile however, I found both of them to be quite sturdy for their sizes; 9 & 7 lbs.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:10 PM

1,899 posts, read 4,137,618 times
My Maltese only weighs 3 lbs but he's not fragile at all, at least, he doesn't seem so.

All Maltese can have spells of noisy breathing. It's harmless, alone.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:58 AM

4 posts, read 7,247 times
I have 2 Maltese. One is 2-1/2 the other is 1-1/2. They don't seem to be fragile and it's possible that's due to being young. They are the best dogs I have ever owned; loveable and dedicated. They both mean the world to me. They don't like dressing up, but will put up with the customes and getting their pictures taken for a short period of time.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:05 AM

484 posts, read 1,357,723 times
My elder son has just recently bought a Maltese puppy, (he's 11 weeks now), and is the essence of cuteness except he is a toe biter.

Thanks, I'll pass this info along.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:52 AM

36,470 posts, read 43,466,032 times
Toby, the 6 lb rescue used to sleep with me but after a few sessions of limping for for apparent reason i started having him sleep in his kennel. I think he was limping from jumping from the bed. he barks too much and is a bit nervous around strangers but very tolerant of 2 little girls who carry him and treat him like a little baby. We love him.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:45 PM

2,873 posts, read 4,732,080 times
There was a maltese at my vet hospital that broke his neck falling down stairs. Only case we ever had of anything quite like that. Per the owner he was at the top of the stairs when someone knocked on the front door. The lights were off and the dog missed a step while scrambling down to get to the door. Snapped his spine.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:18 PM

29,506 posts, read 16,380,718 times
I had a maltese - but he was on the larger size - about 8-10 lbs. Still compared to my Westie - he was more 'fine boned' I guess I would say. Not as muscular or as study as a Westie - but more sturdy that my yorkie.

He really had few health problems though. He did tear his ACL joint after jumping off the porch to chase a big dog and had to have surgery for that.

That was it - until he got reallly old. He was a really good dog.

Sounds like you've had a run of bad luck. How big is your maltese OP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs