U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 06:31 PM

5,826 posts, read 8,627,777 times

Advertisements

I adopted a retired greyhound years and years ago. She killed a toy poodle the first day I had her. I had them separated by putting my poodle in a crate and letting the new dog see him and smell him. She didn't seem to care one way or the other. Then I crated her and let my poodle loose to do the sniffing. No interest. I held the poodle and let the greyhound out and held her collar. She showed no interest. She waited until I put the poodle down, spun around grabbed my poodle by the neck and shook him violently. I was right there and couldn't save my poodle. I took her back to the racing home and have never considered it again.

People need to know these dogs are trained differently by different trainers and in different regions. Some use real rabbits and some let the dogs get the rabbit from time to time to keep their interest keen. I would never suggest someone with another small pet adopt a retired greyhound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 10:28 PM

9,018 posts, read 16,356,135 times
to that point a lot of adoption places are home training these dogs and getting a gauge for how they do with small pets - some are a no go and they'll tell you that upfront - those who have done well will get the initial pass, however as with anything there is no guarantee when you bring in any dog of size that the other animals will be 100% safe, which is incredibly sad

Old 06-10-2008, 06:54 AM

485 posts, read 1,761,855 times
GPA tests their dogs during the evaluation process.

I never saw a greyhound do this, but I know a few will.

Know your animal, and take nothing for granted.

My dogs actually raised a kitten, and seemed to regard him as a member of the pack-they would groom each other, cuddle and sleep together.

Mr. Hogan, the track dog, loved cats and was always ready to play nice with them.

It's like having a cat and a hamster or pet mouse, you have to must take precautions.

To Finger Laker-the Boxer is a greyhound relative-they were bred by crossing bulldogs with greyhounds, and have many of the boxers behaviors, especially the waving front paws that gave the Boxer that name.

Greyhounds are an eccentric breed, full of quirks and individual behaviors, when my Mother in Law's greyhound died at nearly 18, she asked me to write an obituary for the 'Home Stretch', the GPA newsletter.

Ellie was a strange dog-a one person pooch who avoided everyone by my Mother in Law, and had a host of phobias and weird attitudes, so I wrote, "Ellie-even for a greyhound, she was a character".

Seemed to sum her up.

Last edited by krakenten; 06-10-2008 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: added information

Old 09-13-2008, 09:10 PM

356 posts, read 1,149,534 times
Default Exactly!

How can anyone blame the breed. This is one of those rare out of the box things...it's too bad the person will miss out on seeing the true beauty of these wonderful creatures and they are wonderful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krakenten View Post
Greyhounds have a strong prey drive-many are very good with small dogs and cats(my dogs raised a kitten, and they always respected any cat they met-but some are not so tolerant).

Any dogs of any breed, loose and unsupervised can be a danger-Good God, these dogs were being abused!

Greyhounds are very good with people and children as a rule, but remember, these are animals, not machines, they vary.

I've been bitten several times by cocker spaniels-they have a snapping nature-but I'm not going to condemn a breed on that basis.

I'm sorry you lost a beloved puppy(dogs that will attack a puppy must have been ill0natured indeed, probably driven insane by ill treatment), but don't blame the greyhound breed, blame the cruel and ignorant neighbor.

Track dogs are selected for prey drive, but not for aggression, as any dog that fouls other animals is disqualified(my Mr. Hogan liked to use his shoulder in the turns when I'd let him race with Zeno for fun, I think that's why I got him young).

Any fool who thought he'd have to torture greyhounds to get them to chase rabbits knew little of the breed, the sight of a rabbit makes them crazy!

This time, blame the real culprit, not some tormented dog.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:42 AM

3,721 posts, read 3,469,099 times
I don't have any experience with Greyhounds, but yes they do have a prey instinct because of the nature of racing. There is a lovely old lady who goes to the park near my former home and he was ok with my dog in the park, but thats probarbly because she kept him muzzled while out. On this side of the pond you are expected to muzzle certain dogs when out in public. Never get one if you have a small dog. And to the poster whose poodle was killed, I am so sorry.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:17 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,645,107 times
Krakenten,

I applaud your efforts in this matter. Greyhounds are wonderful dogs. And yes there is a "but" to my post.

I could write a long story of my friend in Toronto who adopted one from a rescue. And not to be gruesome, she "had" two cats and one guine pig. My point is that if anyone should want to adopt a greyhound, be diligent and do your homework. Make absolutely sure this is a breed for your lifestyle. And absolutely, positively have no other animal in the household.

If you are hesitant on the thought of adopting a greyhound, that should be a sign.

And please keep in mind there are other breed specific rescues, as well.

If all else, there are hundreds of dogs in your community that need love, TOO!!!! It's called a shelter. And they need your love!!!!

AliceT....I feel for your loss. I hope your doing well.

brikag

Old 09-14-2008, 02:35 PM

4,541 posts, read 13,080,199 times
Actually, I've been reading a booklet by dog behaviorist, Patricia O'Connell PhD. She says that it's good to have adopt two retired racing Greyhounds together to possibly help to prevent separation anxiety problems.

Those dogs have never been in a home alone. Their entire lives have been lived in an institution. Bringing them into a place where they are suddenly alone can be traumatic for them.

So, if you are considering adopting a retired greyhound -- consider TWO !!

Old 09-15-2008, 04:24 PM

702 posts, read 2,240,619 times
I agree with many of the posts here. It is important to do your research about breeds and then any individual dog you are interested in. There are many wonderful dogs looking for homes and understanding the breed(s) of the dog you are interested in will help you make sure you are selecting the right dog for you, your family and your lifestyle. Too many well meaning people adopt dogs without thinking things through. I volunteer for a pitbull rescue and have done other volunteer work with other rescues and have seen too many dogs get dumped, neglected and/or abused because the person/family didn't consider what it meant to accept a dog into their lives. Sometimes people adopt a dog because it's cute and don't really understand the needs of the type of dog. For instance a true couch potato individual might want to stay away from Border Collies or other working/field dogs who require lots of exersize. While I am sure there will be some who have had dogs that were the exception, it's good to know the purpose of a breed as well as the characteristics of a breed when you are considering what type of dog will fit best into your family.

You have plenty of time to find the right dog for you so don't feel rushed. This forum has many knowledgeable people who can give you good information so this is a great place to ask questions. Good luck on your journey to find your new best friend!

Last edited by Calidreemer; 09-15-2008 at 04:33 PM..

Old 11-08-2008, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,449 times
Greetings: My partner and I rescued a male dog 5 years ago who is great with the rest of our animals...4 cats and a Lasso Apso, (who died of old age in June of this year). We believe that Oscar needs companionship as we are rarely home during the day. Do any of you think that if we got a female greyhound, that our current dog, approximately 45 lbs, loves to play with a ball, is "in charge" of our house, especially at night, but needs attention, that this would be a match in heaven or hell? If you need additional information in order to make a decision, please email me directly at [mod]edit: removed personal email [/mod]. Thanks,

Last edited by riveree; 11-08-2008 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: Please use Direct Message, it's best not to disclose your personal email on a public forum

Old 11-18-2008, 07:56 AM

11,984 posts, read 6,844,598 times
We are considering adopting a retired greyhound. We have a three year old 70 pound Golden Retriever we adopted two years ago from a Manhattan shelter and will provide a secure, loving, permanent home.

Does anyone know of any greyhound rescue groups in Manhattan? I prefer a rescue group to the shelter so we have some background information, the dog is already housetrained, and the dog is already familiar with stairs. All these are a must for an apartment dweller!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or