U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 07:42 PM

3,353 posts, read 1,674,652 times

Advertisements

yikes!

I put K9 Advantix on my dog last Tuesday, and on Sunday I found a huge engorged dog tick on her leg. (We live in NC and the ticks are awful).

What do you think of this? I don't know how long it takes for a tick to become engorged but it seems like maybe more than a day? I'd groomed her the day before and I don't think the tick was there, or if it was it was tiny. It might have been though.

This stinks! She never did all that well with Frontline in FL, it just did nothing for fleas on her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 08:05 PM

1,738 posts, read 5,518,483 times
it doesn't keep the fleas and ticks off them but it does kill them ...tick should've been dead or on its way out. my moms dogs are on K9 advantix and randomly get ticks in the hot season(they are in farm areas).
Cody has gotten one but he was pretty dead looking. luckily when Cody gets something on him, he comes to find me and shows he ....big baby! =)

North Carolina is tick heaven!

Old 06-09-2008, 08:17 PM

3,730 posts, read 8,176,609 times
We use Frontline Plus for ticks b/c it works better for our guys, ticks are a bigger problem for us than fleas. I think Advantage or Advantix work better for fleas than Frontline but I havent used Advantage so can't say for sure. Am going to use the flea comb more often too. We're experiencing a major heat wave and I'm hoping that doesn't mean more fleas and ticks down the road.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:31 AM

970 posts, read 1,639,889 times
Is your dog a large dog? I don't know about K9 Advantix, but I have a large dog on Frontline Plus who still manages to get a tick disease about every other year.

I took him to a veterinary school for some testing that couldn't be done locally, and the first motel we went to was infested with fleas. We were only in our room for about 30 minutes and there were fleas all over him and myself, even fleas swimming in his water bowl. We got out of there immediately and went to a different motel. I was picking fleas off myself and tossing them out the window as I was driving to the next motel.

At the next motel, I spoke with the manager and warned him that we were coming with fleas from the other motel, so he'd know to fumigate the room after we left, in case we left any fleas behind. He had no problem accepting us with fleas, as he said he always treats his rooms after a dog has stayed there. He was friends with the manager from the motel we came from, and he said that manager rarely treated the rooms, which is why they had the flea problem.

Anyway, I was up all night picking fleas off my dog and flushing them down the sink. The fleas on the top of his body died on their own from the Frontline. The fleas on his belly and legs did not die. The few I missed in those areas were still alive the next morning.

This was our first flea experience with Frontline. We don't have flea problems where I live, and only use Frontline for ticks. The next day I mentioned to the vet at the vet school about still seeing fleas on his lower parts, and that he also has gotten tick disease while on Frontline.

She said that often in large breeds, it can take the Frontline several days longer than usual to spread to the rest of the body, and sometimes it doesn't spread to the lower part of the body at all in large breeds. Well that explains our problem. If you have a large dog, you may be having the same problem with K9 Advantix.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:36 AM

4,552 posts, read 6,281,155 times
I live in the rural southeast where we have major tick problems. I use Frontline SPRAY...this way I can get the legs and under cairrage of the dog and it works pretty well...I still check afer each outing before going inside.

I've had a tick borne disease 3 times now so I'm very cautious and still find ticks all the time. I can't wait to move to a dryer area without the large tick problem

Old 06-10-2008, 12:35 PM

3,508 posts, read 8,741,865 times
We've used Frontline Plus for years and no problems.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:40 PM

265 posts, read 819,467 times
There's another thread on here from a few weeks back dealing with the same issue. I'm in central NC, have 3 dogs, use both Frontline Plus and Advantix (newer dog came with that)--I've found mostly dead but some live, engorged on all. The vet recommended use of the Preventix collar as well, and I've not found any live ones attached since then (a few weeks now). That's my recommendation--the ticks are soooooo bad here! YUCK!!

Old 06-10-2008, 03:16 PM

970 posts, read 1,639,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I've had a tick borne disease 3 times now so I'm very cautious and still find ticks all the time. I can't wait to move to a dryer area without the large tick problem
I have chronic Lyme disease because I couldn't get treatment for it, because most doctors here still think Lyme disease doesn't exist in Tennessee. I've also had Ehrlichia.

I too can't wait to move to a drier area. I'm working on my house, trying to get it ready to sell, and hope to be moving to Arizona or New Mexico, where the tick problem isn't as bad.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:53 PM

1,500 posts, read 5,032,752 times
I have used frontline for a few years with no problems. This year I bought the k9 Advantix because they run their commercials all the time. I have been picking ticks off left and right. I am going back to frontline.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:59 PM

8,063 posts, read 11,606,215 times
I've found that the collars work better, too. I'm using Biospot collars now and it's a big improvement over the Frontline and Advantix drops. I just don't think that the drops' protection really spreads out over the whole dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs