U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 08:33 PM

401 posts, read 2,373,261 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody. Im getting a standard schnauzer in two weeks! I dont know what to do about his ears, whether to get them cropped or leave them un-cropped. My mom and uncle used to breed mini-schnauzers and said they can be more expressive with their ears un-cropped by the way they move them around based on their mood. However, I also kind of like the look of the ears cropped. Anybody have any advice??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 08:37 PM

1,752 posts, read 1,942,879 times
Please don't crop your soon-to-be schnauzer's ears. There is no reason to.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:39 PM

692 posts, read 3,585,172 times
I had a Standard Schnauzer, DeVante, who passed a year and a half ago. He had cropped ears and I personally hated them. Then again I don't like cropped ears on any dog and find most adorable with natural ears. I have only seen a handful of dogs that looked nice with cropped ears.

If I had another and I had the choice I would have them natural. One thing how ever to watch out for with both cropped, but more with natural is ear infections. Keep the ears clean at all times and never let them stay damp or moist for very long. As I'm sure you know they are a breed that grows hair in their ears, I'd keep them cleaned out (plucked). That kind of goes hand in hand with the grooming though.

I look forward to pictures. You will be posting pictures right?

This was my baby

Old 06-09-2008, 08:50 PM

4,541 posts, read 13,120,406 times
When I worked a veterinarians office, there were two vets. One would not crop ears or tails on any dog - simply because he felt it was cruel. In my opinion, he was the best of the two veterinarians because he really cared about animals...

I think expressive radar ears are adorable!

Old 06-09-2008, 09:19 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,270,056 times
Please don't do that. Cropping ears or tails, or "de-barking" dogs is a nice way of saying mutilation. "Cropping" is completely unnecessary, and serves no purpose for the health of the dog. Love your puppy the way he is!!

Old 06-09-2008, 09:32 PM

Ok, I told the breeder today that I didnt want them cropped but then kind of started second-guessing myself. I will def. stay with natural ears, thanks for everyones opinion, you made me feel better about my decision!

Old 06-09-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddieXRuxpin View Post
I had a Standard Schnauzer, DeVante, who passed a year and a half ago. He had cropped ears and I personally hated them. Then again I don't like cropped ears on any dog and find most adorable with natural ears. I have only seen a handful of dogs that looked nice with cropped ears.

If I had another and I had the choice I would have them natural. One thing how ever to watch out for with both cropped, but more with natural is ear infections. Keep the ears clean at all times and never let them stay damp or moist for very long. As I'm sure you know they are a breed that grows hair in their ears, I'd keep them cleaned out (plucked). That kind of goes hand in hand with the grooming though.

I look forward to pictures. You will be posting pictures right?

Thats a very pretty dog. I hear schnauzers can be great, great dogs but I also hear that they can be stubborn and "too intelligent" and other stuff. Did you enjoy your schnauzer?
I had to look for a dog that sheds very little and most of them seemed like little 8 pound girly dogs but schnauzers dont shed too much and I seemed to like them. I really liked the giant schnauzers but my mom and dad both thought that it would be too big and were against it.
So, am I making a good decision with the standard schnauzer? Are they fun and playful, are they good with other dogs (my sister has an 11-month old cairn terrier)? Sorry to ask so much, but Im really excited and nervous. This is my first dog!

Old 06-09-2008, 09:37 PM

1,479 posts, read 7,031,596 times
I vote for the natural look. Inflicting pain on a pup for cosmetic purposes is unacceptable to me personally. To do it humanely requires anesthesia, so it's not without risk. It's painful and the ears take a long time to heal.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:01 PM

692 posts, read 3,585,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Thats a very pretty dog. I hear schnauzers can be great, great dogs but I also hear that they can be stubborn and "too intelligent" and other stuff. Did you enjoy your schnauzer?
I had to look for a dog that sheds very little and most of them seemed like little 8 pound girly dogs but schnauzers dont shed too much and I seemed to like them. I really liked the giant schnauzers but my mom and dad both thought that it would be too big and were against it.
So, am I making a good decision with the standard schnauzer? Are they fun and playful, are they good with other dogs (my sister has an 11-month old cairn terrier)? Sorry to ask so much, but Im really excited and nervous. This is my first dog!
He was a GREAT dog! Great isn't a good enough word. He was my first dog and my heart dog; he got me through a lot of crap. He grew up around several dogs and never had a problem with any dog, but that does have a lot to do with socializing and training. He got basic training just like all of my other dogs. He was very playful, but at the same time could go and fall asleep in your lap.

He was a VERY loyal boy. He tolerated a lot and let me do almost anything to him(in a good way). Funny hair cuts, hugs and kisses all day, fall alseep on him, dressing him up. He was a bigger standard than usual, 20 pounds, but all love.

As he got older he just would not stay clean lol no matter how much I tried he loved to go outside and get in the dirt. Goofy dog! I hope you don't mind me posting a few more pictures..just gives a little more idea of him. I think you will be very happy with the breed you picked; just at the leaste get basic training down. That alone will help you and him both out a lot. CONGRATS on your new addition!!

Old 06-09-2008, 11:37 PM

Haha you can post as many pictures as you want. Thanks alot for sharing, I think Im going to be very happy with picking a schnauzer. He was only 20 pounds? I thought standards were about 40-50 pounds and minis were 15-20 or so. Anyways, thanks again for sharing, I get my pup in 2 weeks so Ive got a lot of work and preparing to do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or