U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 03:23 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,335,909 times

Advertisements

I read the first post today and almost fell over laughing. I have a mini-pincer mix, and sounds just like the OPs dog. Won't go in his dog house, runs around like a complete idiot, breaks things, can't be left alone in the house, can't be left alone outside.

Cats beat him up, rabbits aren't afraid of him, and my Sun Conure parrot seems to feel sorry him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 06:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,869 times
Hi just want to say I am a dog trainer and the dog isn't stupid. He just doesn't appear to have consistant leadership so he will know what is expected of him. Dogs are very intelligent. The problem often is us humans that fail our dogs to be leaders. If yo did not teach your child on a daily basis to be productive and learn how to do things good and bad you too would have a toddler or a child that would be running the house. It appears your dog needs training. Please help the dog so you will have a balanced dog and peaceful household. If you do not have the time I recommend you find a new home where your dog can be happy and not feel the frustration that is coming from you. Dogs feel negative energy and when they do they become destructive and have behavioral issues. Good luck!

Old 11-28-2013, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,807 times
my dog refuses to go in his dog house use to killed a rat now wont go in the house

Old 11-28-2013, 11:10 PM

9,156 posts, read 8,632,549 times
Why would you keep a dog in any other house than the one you live in?

Old 11-29-2013, 07:41 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,298,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Why would you keep a dog in any other house than the one you live in?
Not all dogs are comfortable in a home with humans.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:38 AM

7,841 posts, read 7,294,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Not all dogs are comfortable in a home with humans.
I think you have that backasswards: not all humans are comfortable in a home with dogs.

Dogs are social animals that need to belong to a pack. In the absence of a canine pack, a dog's human family becomes his pack, and separating him from his pack by restricting him to a kennel/dog house or being tied out in a far corner of the yard while the rest of his pack is "home" is cruel.

Some dogs like to be outside, which is why they need either a fenced yard or some kind of tie-out, but they should always be allowed to come inside. A dog door in an attached garage or porch that allows a dog access to a fenced yard or a fenced area of a larger yard is an excellent set up IMO. My dog has indoor/outdoor access between the house and the outside most of the summer through a porch unless there are thunderstorms predicted (he's afraid of thunder).

All dogs should be crate-trained IMO, and should be crated rather than put outside in a kennel or tied out if they get into trouble when left home alone. There is a lot of literature available on how to do this. Once trained to a crate, a dog will be quite comfortable and secure in his crate even in strange surroundings (like a motel) with his bed and his toys. When I set up the big metal crate, I usually put a blanket or throw over it to make it cave like, but I bought a popup canvas fabric and mesh crate last year that's nice and dark inside. To get my dog used to it, I just set it up in the living room, and he liked it so well, that he'll just go in there on his own to sleep. It's also a good idea to crate your dog when traveling.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:46 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,546,067 times
this seems like a troll post to me but if its not give your dog to someone who will love him, care for him, and allow him in their house. i have a 100 pound slobbery bulldog. yes he destroys my house, not really that he's destructive but slobber, shedding, etc.

i wanted a dog, i love him, im wiling to deal with it. it sounds like you value your home and possessions morethan your pet so give him to someoen who will love him.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:23 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,298,423 times
How do I get a stupid dog to use his dog house?-pict0015.jpg

Does this dog look abused????

He does not want to be in the house.

He wants to hunt....summer and winter.

We have four hounds with a very nice outdoor kennel.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:38 PM

7,841 posts, read 7,294,576 times
Quote:
Attachment 121652

Hounds need to be socialized and trained from a very early puppyhood if you want a canine companion rather than a hunting dog. All hounds are very difficult for ordinary dog owners to deal with, from beagles to wolfhounds, whether they are scent or sight hounds. They have to always be leashed or they'll be off on a scent or chasing after something, and many become destructive when prevented from hunting. The easiest hounds for non-hunters to deal with are probably beagles with bad noses and greyhounds.

My family raised beagles and black and tans in the 1950s and 1960s when they were always used for hunting and not promoted by some people as "pets".

By having 4 dogs together in an outdoor kennel, you've created a pack for them, so that's a different dynamic than a single dog kept in a kennel that's isolated from either a canine or human pack. The OP was about a dog being kept alone in doghouse and kennel.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:02 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,546,067 times
Quote:
Attachment 121652

its not just that the owner decides to keep his dogs outside, personally i dont agree with that nor is it how i treat my dogs but im just saying. that said im not saying he's not a good owner for keeping his dogs outside, im saying he's a bad owner because he called his dog an idiot a half dozen times in a two paragraph post and doesn't seem tht into his dog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs