U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 08:17 PM

2,673 posts, read 4,348,416 times
Default How do I get a stupid dog to use his dog house?

I got a dog a few months ago, and bought him a kennel. I covered the kennel with tarp so rain would not get, and he could get out of the wind. He never used it, so I thought I would get him a real dog house. It is a nice one with a shingled roof, raised floor etc., made out of cedar. He still will not use it. It has been raining since I got it and he still will not go in it. He scared of the house like he is scared of everything else. And he is a large dog.

How can I convince this dog to use the dog house? (pretty expensive to buy then had to build it) I put food and treats in it, and he will only stick his head in to get them, but will not go all the way in. I put a blanket in it, and he pulls it out and chews on it. This is literally one of the stupidest dogs I have ever seen. I love him, but he is dumb. So he cannot stay in the house alone, and sometimes even when I am with him, because he runs around like an idiot and he is too big to be doing that, he breaks things. He is not a puppy, he is about three, don't know his exact age. Half black lab, and half coon hound.

Does anyone know what to do with my dumb dog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 08:33 PM

8,122 posts, read 16,517,981 times
That dog is NoT STUPID...he has a fear of small places!!

Old 06-10-2008, 08:38 PM

21 posts, read 67,107 times
LOL.... sorry for laughing but we also bought our dog a dog house and he refused to use it... he would sleep next to it, behind it.... he would stand on top of it and bark at other dogs that he could now see because he was so high up..... we ended up throwing it away 5 years later. It was never used !!! Good Luck

Old 06-10-2008, 08:41 PM

3,426 posts, read 6,571,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
I got a dog a few months ago, and bought him a kennel. I covered the kennel with tarp so rain would not get, and he could get out of the wind. He never used it, so I thought I would get him a real dog house. It is a nice one with a shingled roof, raised floor etc., made out of cedar. He still will not use it. It has been raining since I got it and he still will not go in it. He scared of the house like he is scared of everything else. And he is a large dog.

How can I convince this dog to use the dog house? (pretty expensive to buy then had to build it) I put food and treats in it, and he will only stick his head in to get them, but will not go all the way in. I put a blanket in it, and he pulls it out and chews on it. This is literally one of the stupidest dogs I have ever seen. I love him, but he is dumb. So he cannot stay in the house alone, and sometimes even when I am with him, because he runs around like an idiot and he is too big to be doing that, he breaks things. He is not a puppy, he is about three, don't know his exact age. Half black lab, and half coon hound.

Does anyone know what to do with my dumb dog?
Wow, i sense a little frustration here.
You are in the wrong place to call your dog "dumb", there is no such a thing as a dumb dog, quiet the oposite.

Don't expect your dog to do what YOU want him to do. Rather take him to obedience school. Take him for a walk, exercise him. What seems to be the problem? Sounds like dog is affraid of you or whatever else, and bored to boot.
You didn't tell us a history of the dog, where did he come from? What is he past? Do you know anything??

You have to be patient and loving, not getting frustrated, dogs sense that and acts on it.

If you act like you are and not planning a training or any other ways of accommodating this animal, i advice to find him a good and loving home.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:45 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,692,892 times
Funny, we went through the same thing with our old Lab. We bought a cedar doghouse from LL Bean, my husband put it together, and she refused to go in it! She would reach in for treats, and back right out.

Even though this happened 10 yrs ago, we still laugh about it from time to time. But I will tell you...she wasn't a stupid dog.

P.S. We lost her 1 yr. ago tomorrow. We now have a Plott hound as a member of our family. I think all dogs are smart and dumb in their own ways. I've learned that from our new guy, since he's so goofy in so many ways, but is actually smart about other things - and I think he would use a doghouse if we bought him one.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Wow, i sense a little frustration here.
You are in the wrong place to call your dog "dumb", there is no such a thing as a dumb dog, quiet the oposite.

Don't expect your dog to do what YOU want him to do. Rather take him to obedience school. Take him for a walk, exercise him. What seems to be the problem? Sounds like dog is affraid of you or whatever else, and bored to boot.
You didn't tell us a history of the dog, where did he come from? What is he past? Do you know anything??

You have to be patient and loving, not getting frustrated, dogs sense that and acts on it.

If you act like you are and not planning a training or any other ways of accommodating this animal, i advice to find him a good and loving home.

Please believe I use the term dumb in the most loving way. I love my dog want to keep him around, and I hope he likes me too.

I do not really know his history, I adopted him from a "doggie foster parent" through the humane society. I take him walks about 3-4 times a week, but sometimes weather and work schedule don't allow me to. I am looking at obedience schools, actually right now.

I don't think he is afraid of me, he has been skiddish and scared since I got him. One dog trainer lady said that coon hounds are by breed skiddish.

Franlky I don't care if he uses the dog house, he is the one who stays in the rain while I am at work. He is usually in the house when I am home, so don't all think he is locked in the backyard all day. My first post may have made me sound like a hard ass, but when it comes to dogs I am a softie.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
That dog is NoT STUPID...he has a fear of small places!!
..and everything else.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:10 PM

3,874 posts, read 11,307,616 times
It seems to me you need a dog behaviorist, a trainer, rather than strictly an "obedience" school. In other words, you yourself state he is "afraid" of many things. So, he needs help in order to learn that he belongs in life. He needs understanding, specific understanding of HIM and his particular personality. You would ask for no less for yourself, right? So your best course, I think, would be to tailor your behavor and resources to who HE is, while taking every care for his safety, health, well being and growing confidence.
I send you and him healing energy...

Old 06-10-2008, 09:31 PM

8,204 posts, read 23,492,940 times
Have you tried crawling into the dog house yourself?

Once he sees you are safe in there and you like it, he might want to join you...might work .

Old 06-10-2008, 09:41 PM

8,122 posts, read 16,517,981 times
I got a collie that the owners told me loves laying out in all kinds of weather. Well I had a 10x55 trailer & all but the front was under penned. That dog Lived under that trailer...would not come out for 2 weeks. Then after that he used in only in bad weather & on real hot days. His org owners could not believe the change.... but they wanted him back [said the only reason they got rid of him was he was too Dumb to get out the rain & snow] Any way we went out the the orchard & got the huge crate..big enough for 6 collies! Turned it into a dog house...dog died at 16 curled up in that same crate house. He was 2 yrs old the time I had him!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs