U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 07:57 AM

788 posts, read 2,036,154 times

Advertisements

I am interested to know what people would do in my situation. I have an older (approximately 13) year old lab mix whom I adopted 8 years ago. She can walk slowly but doesn't always want to walk. She has extreme incontinence problems, both fecal and urinary. Luckily, these accidents are contained within her crate because she's always in it--she likes it (door is always open). But it's really disgusting and she wakes me in the middle of the night to clean up. I give her a bath but the next day her leg is soaking wet from lying in urine. I am always thinking of euthanasia, but her appetite is very good and she does seem happy. When I come home, she is usually at the door and very happy. She had a life of abuse until I adopted her, so I want to make sure she gets the most she can of a good life. I am trying not to be selfish and bothered by all this inconvenience. The other problem is that the incontinence causes bladder infections so she is on and off antibiotics periodically. I just don't know what to do at this point as she is mobile and is eating well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 08:01 AM

12,387 posts, read 31,343,833 times
Have you tried taking her out in the middle of the nite?

Old 06-11-2008, 08:45 AM

I guess I could try that but if she's really tired and has been sleeping, she has a hard time wanting to move around. It's a good idea and I'll try it, but I don't know if I'll be able to get her outside. Thanks.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:05 PM

12,387 posts, read 31,343,833 times
Well even if you just get her out of the crate & she potties on paper...easier to keep her clean & for you to clean up! Try giving her a 81 mg coated asprin Before bed time...might help her want to get up to potty in the middle of the nite!

Old 06-11-2008, 01:59 PM

718 posts, read 1,798,845 times
13 is the "magic age" for Labs....you might rethink the euthanasia...

Old 06-11-2008, 02:58 PM

13,293 posts, read 25,463,471 times
She might be having a spinal (neurological) deterioration, especially if she's having accidents where she sleeps. Unfortunately, there is nothing to be done. It's age-related.
I fully understand your wanting to give her every bit of good life, given her background. I did the same with my first adoption, who had the spinal problem. It was the look on his face when he couldn't stand up or the whining when he'd had an accident in his bed that did it for me. I also didn't want to put him down for "convenience," but believe me, it certainly wasn't about that.
The dog has been given a great life after a rough start. It might well be time, medically, to go for that visit to the vet, and it's not about convenience, it's about being time.
(I realized it when I saw the look on his dignified face of fear and alarm when he couldn't stand up fast enough, or went in his bed. Or when I had a belly band to help him down the three steps to the yard, at 65 pounds, and muscle spasms from carrying him with the band, and the floors covered with indoor-outdoor mats. Suddenly one day I realized it was time. He as a shepherd mix of 15 who I got at age 10.
Be well. You love your dog.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:58 PM

Katie1, thanks but her problem isn't so much pain as weakness but maybe I'll try it. LynnKK, even if she's eating and sometimes able to take a decent walk?

Old 06-11-2008, 03:51 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,828,405 times
I don't think any of us can tell you when it is time.. only you will know. It is not a decision that any of us make lightly. I made that decision when one dog who was 15 and was pooping laying down and could barely go for a walk, would fall down, couldn't get up and I couldn't pick him up. I knew it was time.

Those of us who have made that decision will stand by you.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:10 PM

19,814 posts, read 55,771,747 times
Dogs don't show pain easily. They have to be in a lot of pain to show it. My dog had spinal problems and was leaving "rabbit pellets" all over the house. I cleaned it up but took her in when she could no longer walk well - she wobbled all over. I probably should have done it earlier but she looked OK to me.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:37 PM

Brightdoglover and Keeper, she does get up and will walk about half the time, but quite often has often relieved herself before the walk in her bed. Her appetite though is 100%. Did you wait until your dogs' appetites had gone or were they still eating?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or