U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 12:41 PM

15 posts, read 130,779 times

Advertisements

Has anyone done the DNA test on thier pups to see which mixed breeds they are? I would love to see photos and the results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 01:55 PM

718 posts, read 1,803,997 times
Why in the world would you do a DNA test on a mixed breed or even a purebred dog for that matter? Did you dog commit a murder?

Old 06-11-2008, 03:53 PM

Why not? It seems like it would be fun to find out what breed(s) our dog is made up of. Also, certain breeds are more suseptable to certain diseases and conditions so your can take preventative measures with diet and exercise to prevent these. Mostly it's just for fun!

Old 06-11-2008, 03:54 PM

1,738 posts, read 7,510,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKK View Post
Why in the world would you do a DNA test on a mixed breed or even a purebred dog for that matter? Did you dog commit a murder?
ahahahahah! thats funny!
to understand traits better

hurley I haven't done the test but plan to in the next year.
Last I heard Aussie wasn't on the list and we know he has that in him.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:04 PM

19,822 posts, read 55,990,399 times
I did. My girl looks black lab/Border Collie but she is German Shepard/German Shorthaired Pointer.
Attached Thumbnails
Dog DNA Test-layla-1-004.jpg  

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-11-2008 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-11-2008, 06:06 PM

19,822 posts, read 55,990,399 times
Google canine dna and you will see a web site for the company. It cost about $80 and toook about 4 months.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:15 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,657,168 times
It's specifically done for breeders. We do not want the same lineage in our puppies. Also we get it done for our clients on each puppy. We can actually find out the certain percentages of some particular doggie disease. We also get hip and knee examinations done on every litter before they go to that special home. If they are healthy we show all documents. If they may have problems we let the clients know, spay and neutur them, and they pay for the test only. We give the puppy for free. That's why DNA tests are done. Mainly for breeders, but if you want to pay the $300 to $800 to find out the mixture of a mutt. That's fine. We need to keep the US employed!!!!

Old 06-11-2008, 09:04 PM

It's actually only $80-$120 depending on which company you use. We are going through the Canine Heritage test and just mailed in the cheek swab today. They can identify up to 120 breeds or something. Like I said it's mostly for fun, we love our boy no matter what he is.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:34 PM

1,087 posts, read 2,929,197 times
I'm planning on having it done, when they have more breeds. I'm positive about the Collie in him, but I'd like to find out for sure if the other half is Finnish Spitz or not.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:45 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,178,066 times
There are two DNA test available in the one they swab the cheek. My friends daughter that goes to UC DAVIS spent a weekend swabbing dogs cheeks for the test at the opening of a new Pet Smart she wanted to do my Jazz but they only have about 38 breed markers and few were breeds we thought Jazz might be.

Then there is the Wisdom Panel which is a blood test DNA test and they have 138 AKC breed markers identified so I went with this one. We have always believed Jazz was a cattle dog as she looks alot and acts like one, border collie or Aussie mix with maybe some whippet. Well I am a bit disappointed in the tests as I feel I still do not know what the breeds are as nothing came back as siginificant so she must have breeds that the markers are not known yet ( Dingo, Kelpie, Catahoula ? ) Though I do plan to E-mail the company to see if the markers for a Mcnab might be different enough from a regular border collie that Mcnab could be a possiblity as Mcnabs are not uncommon here. Anyway Jazz did test for some German shepherd, then trace amounts of whippet, field spaniel, and sheltie. .Some friends have a black dog that is very whippet looking and she tested for siginificant cattle dog, some german shepherd and trace flat coated retriever...no whippet!

My nephew thinks Jazz is an alien dog related to Stitch from the movie Lilo and Stitch! Jazz thinks she is not a dog so maybe one of them is right

Here is a photo of Jazz.

Dog DNA Test-jazz-08-acc.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs