U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 09:21 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,275,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Back in my pot smoking days, I used to try and get my dog to inhale but she never would. Maybe she was smarter then me at that point.

My dog is pretty good at eating only what she is supposed to, its my cats who will take what they can get. My Salem even likes dried apricots. Its sort of become a joke, he comes begging for whatever I have and I give it too him thinking "surely a cat isn't going to eat this" and then of course he does. He likes strawberry licorice, cheetos and marshmallows as well. I rarely give it to him though for fear of making him fatter then he already is or posibly encouraging diabetes in him.
Wow, Lindsey, you really must've be high. Is that something to be proud of, and proclaim on an international, open forum? It's like blowing smoke in a babie's face to shut them up. In my former life, I actually arrested people who did that.

I miss the humor in it, or are you trying to be funny?? Do what you want to yourself, but your job is to guard and take care of your animals - and children. Respect them as individual beings.

'Smoking' is done in certain dog sled circles because it confuses the dogs when they are too tired to run any longer or are ill. It slows their metabolism, they will follow their leader (musher) and will continue to run until it kills them (literally). Big money in that business for certain sponsors, like horse racing, and anything goes.

When you take away an animal's autonomy for a joke, there's a problem there (the drugs!). Oh, you did say "former", though, didn't you?

Sorry for going on like that folks, but having been involved in some serious animal abuse cases...well, the images, sounds, and smells just don't go away that easily.

109* - that's hilarious - so, it was your dog who was the neighborhood avocado thief! Pretty cute...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 06:53 AM

4 posts, read 15,202 times
Default These are the foods dogs cant eat.

Dogs can't eat any cooked bones because it may splinter. They also can't have any alcoholic beverages, chocolate, coffe or tea, grapes or raisins, onions, almonds or macadamia nuts, scraps or leftovers you woudn't eat, and fatty, greasy foods.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:00 AM

Wow! im suprised your dog even survived! I can't believe someone would even blow smoke into a dogs face that is sure to give your dog canser. But I am glad You did post this so everyone can see. They might even arrest you for that i now i arrest people every day for that because that is a case of animal crulity.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:08 AM

Default animal crulity

WOW! Thats a miracale your dog even survived. I do hope you realize that that is a case of animal crulity, and i am an animal cop.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:19 AM

Default foods that are bad for dogs

I hate to say this but what you get from books, magazines,internet,ect.,may not be right what im trying to say is every dog has a differnt stomach. Its common sence, just like you and me we are alergic to different things well so are dogs so may throw up after eating different dog foods ant other dogs may have a very good stomach and might have never thrown up in its entire life, so i would stick on the safer side and only give your pets there own dog food

Old 08-05-2008, 09:29 AM

265 posts, read 1,155,029 times
Default Houdini & the Compost Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
Or moldy or rotten food ewwwww!
We're on Round 3 (maybe 4?) now...the latest prevention strategy being to completely enclose the compost bin with fencing. So what did that food focused boy do last night, you're wondering? He stood on his hind legs and tried to unlatch the top!! To do what...hoist himself in? Jump? Who can say...this time, we won the match, not the dog!

Old 08-05-2008, 09:50 AM

3,627 posts, read 12,822,862 times
Here is the list from the first link and my comments on the things I do not agree with.

Alcohol & Tobacco - have nicotine that affects the digestive and nervous systems causing, rapid heart beat, collapse, coma, and death.
Bones - obstruction or laceration of the digestive system.
A lot of dogs THRIVE on a diet of raw meaty bones and are very healthy - it is a risk but soft raw bones [not big weight bearing bones] very low risk if the dog is fed this kind of diet as they pretty much dissove completely in the stomach which is much more acidic than ours.
Chocolate, Tea & Coffee – affects the heart.
Human Vitamins/Iron Supplements – Affects liver & kidneys.
Milk - Some dogs do not have adequate of the enzyme lactase, which breaks down the lactose in milk. This can result in diarrhoea.
Onion & Garlic – Have sulphides, can cause anaemia.
Potato - can cause digestive problems.
Interesting because a lot of hypoallergenic foods and quality dog foods use potato instead of grain as a carbohydrate source. Actually, dogs have no need for carbs - they just need some to manufacture most dry foods
Raw eggs - can cause skin problems.
First time I heard that - guess so if a dog is allergic but........many dogs benefit from them
Salt – excess can cause electrolyte imbalances.
Sugar – can cause diabetes.
Mushrooms - can be toxic.

Another thing you need to be careful of is plants, many of which are toxic. Also there is a Cocoa Mulch that can kill a dog. Eating mulch is real bad anyway - some dogs I know have bloated from mulch eating

Last edited by grannynancy; 08-05-2008 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: cocoa mulch

Old 08-05-2008, 11:33 AM

7,728 posts, read 11,038,850 times
Remember cocoa mulch is toxic to dogs as well.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:37 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,394,968 times
Didn't know that about peaches (one of the links). My dog will knibble on the peaches from the tree in our backyards. Sometimes he'll jump up and pick them off of the branches that hang low.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:39 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,394,968 times
I'm in no way defending it, but if you think Lindsay is one of the only dog owners that has blown weed smoke at a dog you are misinformed. My cousin sold pot years ago...maybe he still does? Anyway, he had some type of Bulldog and while he was out the dog ate like $300 in pot. He recovered fine as far as I know. No, it's not funny, but it's not like this stuff doesn't happen. Of course people that care enough about their pets that they come to a dog forum aren't going to do that, but what about the people who don't really care for their pets?

Last edited by Mike in TN; 08-05-2008 at 01:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or