U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 11:52 AM

7,728 posts, read 11,036,874 times

Advertisements

My pup loves sweet potatos, pumpkin, carrots, beets, green beans, apples and summer squash wether raw or cooked! He'll pass up chicken for beets! I did check with his vet and was told it's all fine for him. He does pee pink the day after having beets, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 12:03 PM

795 posts, read 3,926,723 times
that's funny, mike, you say you're not defending lindsey...yet, huh, that sounds like exactly what you're doing.

i don't think any of us on this board are stupid or naive enough to not KNOW that people mistreat animals, but none of us LIKE it. so if you come on here and say you DO it or have DONE it, you're going to get nailed by someone, probably a number of someones.

and as for the people who don't care about their pets, guess what, they don't need TO HAVE THEM.

if someone is not prepared for all the time, money, and CARE-giving that comes with owning a dog (or being owned by one), then, again, they don't need to have a pet.

End of Story.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:34 PM

315 posts, read 973,470 times
I also feed raw and my dogs get raw eggs 3 times weekly, yougurt, cottage cheese and garlic in the veggie mixture. Been feeding this way for years and not one of my dogs have ever been sick. Here's a few things I heard were harmful

Pips from pears or apples, any chocolate but especially baking chocolate.

My dogs get all kinds of fruits mixed with their veggies without ill effects. The odd grape won't affect most dogs, but the pips are a no no.
Broccoli and cabbage will cause flatulence unless juiced well to break down the cells. All my dogs get yams and love them along with carrots.
The green part on the potatoes is supposed to be toxic
Tomato plants, potatoe peels with green on them, rhubarb leaves, all no no's.

I juice my potatoes but mashed potatoes won't harm a dog...vet told me it was large chunks of potatoes that caused trouble...they use potatoes to make gin and as he explained they take a long time to digest so it gives them a chance to ferment in a dog's stomach and is the cause of a dog getting sick, which is why mashed causes no problems.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:36 PM

Sorry, the above post was supposed to go into another category, it's really storming here , might have made the computer jump or something....

Old 08-05-2008, 01:03 PM

324 posts, read 1,575,904 times
We have a Society Garlic plant in the backyard, the puppy is constantly trying to chew on it. Does anyone know if this is dangerous to him?

Old 08-05-2008, 01:22 PM

4,334 posts, read 12,223,377 times
All my dogs sit at my feet every morning when I fix my parrots fruit and veggie bowl. The only thing they get from it are pieces of apples and raw baby carrots. They all go crazy for carrots. Sometimes I buy a fresh pineapple and cut it up for my parrot...the dogs go nuts for pineapple too. Actually they all love pears and peaches! Two of mine go crazy for my cup of green tea and my leftover salad....even with the oil and vinegar! Is that ok? As far as steak bones...they do not get any. The only bones they get are the ones I find only in Petsmart. I get the bag of 4 or 5 for 20 bucks. They are white and have maple bacon flavor in the middle. They chew on them and they last for like 6 months. The name brand is Dentleys. Sometimes they have them single for 5 bucks. But with my pack I need the bag of multiples.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:48 PM

Garlic is a natural flea deterrent for animals - if your dog is eating it on his own it's because he knows he needs it. Some people swear it keeps intestinal parasites at bay . Mine get garlic on a daily basis. Onions you should not feed.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:52 PM

12,439 posts, read 31,498,367 times
Ask the Veterinarian: raw eggs for dogs, raw egg whites, raw eggs

http://www.critterology.com/marijuan..._pets-120.html

Old 08-06-2008, 09:12 PM

797 posts, read 2,743,096 times
My dogs love fruits and vegis, especially bananas and tomatoes. I have not read all the posts but the rules I follow are...

Oranges, Onions, Grapes, Raisons, and CHOCOLATE are never ever.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:27 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,393,880 times
Hopefully tomatoes aren't a big deal b/c one of these dogs here ate about three of them from my plant sometime today. I'm pretty ticked actually because they were the last ones on the plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or