U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 10:45 AM

244 posts, read 1,089,055 times

Advertisements

What about pistachios??? My australian sheppard sits at my feet while I'm eating them and I'll throw him a few and he shells them all by himself, spits the shell on the floor and waits for another. I never thought about nuts being dangerous or even heard about it till now!! If so, he definitely won't get any more!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 10:50 AM

947 posts, read 3,001,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noplacelikeWA View Post
My dogs love fruits and vegis, especially bananas and tomatoes. I have not read all the posts but the rules I follow are...

Oranges, Onions, Grapes, Raisons, and CHOCOLATE are never ever.
I never heard about oranges... the others i knew about!
Thanks!

Old 08-22-2008, 10:53 AM

947 posts, read 3,001,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
My pup loves sweet potatos, pumpkin, carrots, beets, green beans, apples and summer squash wether raw or cooked! He'll pass up chicken for beets! I did check with his vet and was told it's all fine for him. He does pee pink the day after having beets, lol.

Those all sound like great foods!

Anyone know about spinach?

Old 08-22-2008, 10:59 AM

43,562 posts, read 52,689,396 times
Whatever the food, it's the dose that makes the poison.

Chocolate is approx 1 oz per pound of dog's weight.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:12 AM

244 posts, read 1,089,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Whatever the food, it's the dose that makes the poison.

Chocolate is approx 1 oz per pound of dog's weight.
Very TRUE!! Last year during Valentines day my kids got those little heart boxes of candy and a neighbor dropped of some chocolate chip cookies w/melted kisses on top. The kids and I had to run some errands, so we all left. When we got home 2 hrs later, the box of chocolates on the table was open and empty and the whole plate of cookies was GONE!!! I have a little Jack Russel and he's NEVER ever gotten on the table before and we didn't think anything of it when we left. Well, I guess there's a first time for everything cause he climbed up on the table and ate the whole box of chocolates and all the cookies. My dog only weighs about 17lbs. I immediately called our vet and she told me to give him a TBSP of hydrogen pyroxide and see if he throws up. If not, then try again in 15 minutes. Well, after 3 TBSP and 45 minutes later...he still hadn't thrown up. So, I headed to the ER. I figured for sure he'd throw up on the way cause he gets super car sick and has never ridden in the car without throwing up. NEVER. Well, I drove like a crazy woman all swerving and slamming on the brakes trying to make him sick and can you believe....1ST TIME EVER THE DARN DOG DIDN'T THROW UP IN THE CAR!!!!!! So, we got to the ER and they put eyedrops in his eyes cause it goes straight to his blood stream. He threw up within 30 seconds and they doc said the pile of chocolate was 1/2 the size of my dog. She said if I didn't bring him in when I did that he would have started having seizures in the middle of the night and had a heart attack. I almost didn't take him in cause it was midnight, my hubby was at work, all my kids were small and had school the next morning. So, I had to wake everyone up and take them all with me. But, we were so thankful we did!! And, I think my dog has a craving for chocolate now cause everytime the kids get some, he's right there trying to steal it...So, needless to say, we always triple check what we leave laying around!!

Old 08-28-2008, 05:11 PM

10,736 posts, read 31,795,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Wow, Lindsey, you really must've be high. Is that something to be proud of, and proclaim on an international, open forum? It's like blowing smoke in a babie's face to shut them up. In my former life, I actually arrested people who did that.

I miss the humor in it, or are you trying to be funny?? Do what you want to yourself, but your job is to guard and take care of your animals - and children. Respect them as individual beings.

'Smoking' is done in certain dog sled circles because it confuses the dogs when they are too tired to run any longer or are ill. It slows their metabolism, they will follow their leader (musher) and will continue to run until it kills them (literally). Big money in that business for certain sponsors, like horse racing, and anything goes.

When you take away an animal's autonomy for a joke, there's a problem there (the drugs!). Oh, you did say "former", though, didn't you?

Sorry for going on like that folks, but having been involved in some serious animal abuse cases...well, the images, sounds, and smells just don't go away that easily.

109* - that's hilarious - so, it was your dog who was the neighborhood avocado thief! Pretty cute...
Your kidding me right?? I was in college. Some of the best pot I ever had was when I smoked pot with a friend who was also a cop in the local police department. If pot is the strongest drug you have done then thats pretty mild. I didn't say it to mean I am proud of it, I was being open and honest about it. I haven't smoked pot or done anything other kind of drug for 15 years or so, I don't even drink. Your message came across as pretty self righteous. If you knew me at all, you would know that I am VERY protective of my animals and very selective in what I ingest never mind what I would give to them.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:21 PM

113 posts, read 249,335 times
My dog loves bacon and scrambled eggs (without milk), just need to teach her how to make it for my breakfast.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:11 PM

13 posts, read 61,719 times
dogs are not supposed to have grapes,raisins,dark chocolate,onion,or garlic.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:14 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,395,377 times
Why dark chocolate specifically and just chocolate, in general?

Old 08-29-2008, 12:57 AM

8,309 posts, read 34,412,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
My dogs eat raw eggs weekly for the lat 5 years....
They also eat yugurt and cottage cheese, potatoes (sweet) and garlic. Raw bones and raw meat, these are part of the raw diet.

Some foods i agree with such as certain nuts, grapes, raisins, chocolate and onions.

And who in their right mind would give their dog alcohol or tobacco??
I have to agree. I actually administer yogurt and cheeses to my dogs when they have diarrhea. Seems to clear things up in short order. Whole, raw eggs have a lot of quality protein, fats and phosphorous and do not seem to present any problems in my animals.

The idea that dogs can't eat bones is ridiculous. As long as the bones are raw, there is no problem with any kind of bones. If a dog is fed cooked bones, there can be problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or