U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 10:01 PM

812 posts, read 2,100,241 times

Advertisements

My husband has asthma and we had to research when getting our babies as well. My first choice was the poodle but because of grooming and and fur we went w/ the long coat chihuahua. Works well for the asthma and we don't need to send our babies to the groomers. As for vet bills the first year we bought pet insurance for several hundred dollars and also went to the dentist. Now if you maintain the dental care w/ cleanings on any dog you can do that or you can give them certain biscuits that will keep the teeth clean and you wont have to get the teeth cleaned. Cleanings can run about 600.00 every 2 years.

Also, depends if you'd like to dress your animal. Our babies don't like the cold so we buy them clothes, now that they have wardrobes we don't have the need to purchase clothes since it's only during the winter that they wear clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 10:30 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,160,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinny View Post
My husband has asthma and we had to research when getting our babies as well. My first choice was the poodle but because of grooming and and fur we went w/ the long coat chihuahua. Works well for the asthma and we don't need to send our babies to the groomers. As for vet bills the first year we bought pet insurance for several hundred dollars and also went to the dentist. Now if you maintain the dental care w/ cleanings on any dog you can do that or you can give them certain biscuits that will keep the teeth clean and you wont have to get the teeth cleaned. Cleanings can run about 600.00 every 2 years.

Also, depends if you'd like to dress your animal. Our babies don't like the cold so we buy them clothes, now that they have wardrobes we don't have the need to purchase clothes since it's only during the winter that they wear clothes.
Oh that's funny! A wardrobe allowance! Let's hope Hoosier doesn't pick one out that insists on designer duds!

Old 06-23-2008, 05:46 AM

1,738 posts, read 7,496,855 times
I think it depends on the kid and dog.
my nephew is allergic to my collie breed, labs and my parents collie mixes but he never had a reaction to their husky and my moms cocker spaniel.

my Aunt is allergic to the cocker spaniel and not my collie breed.

it depends on the person.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:14 AM

2,983 posts, read 6,464,497 times
I work with kids with asthma and many of them have pets with minimal problems, but here are a few suggestions. I would strongly consider getting the kids skin-tested for dog allergy. Though they may be have multiple allergies to other allergens, if they aren't allergic to dogs, you can relax a little. If they are strongly allergic - I wouldn't get a dog at all. It just doesn't make sense to bring a pet into a home if you know there are potential problems. Getting the testing done will help you make an informed decision.

Also, given the family's allergic tendencies I would start out with some good allergy habits if you decide to get the pet. Keep the dog out of the children's bedroom altogether! We recommend keeping pets off all upholstered furniture and completely out of sleeping areas. You want bedrooms to be as trouble free as possible (all those stuffed dogs are probably a problem as well!)

Finally, regarding what type of dog to choose - I don't have any great advice because all my patients with asthma and allergies always tell me that they are never allergic to their own dog - just other people's!!!

Good Luck - keep asking questions and doing your homework!

Old 06-23-2008, 08:30 AM

812 posts, read 2,100,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Oh that's funny! A wardrobe allowance! Let's hope Hoosier doesn't pick one out that insists on designer duds!
You make me laugh! Truth be told, my little girl does have outfits for picture taking in family photo's and it's not just the winter warmth factor. I did get her a fake leather, a party dress in satin and a faku fur. Thos were the pricier things. She hates those as those arn't day to day winter items. Just the shirts she loves. They run about 10.00 usually my limit for each.

You're so funny!

Old 06-23-2008, 08:40 AM

969 posts, read 2,514,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Also labradoodles: another non-shedding, non-dander producing dog.
Nonsense - there is no such thing as a non shedding dog - unless you get a Mexican Hairless and then you will still have dander.

In addition - "labradoodles" are nothing but mixed breed dogs who may or may not take on the characteristics of the Poodle OR the Labrador - and anyone who has ever had a Labrador knows they shed.

I would be very reluctant to bring a dog into the house with allergy prone people. What happens to the dog when the allergies get worse?

So MANY dogsa end up in rescue and shelters because "the kids are allergic"

Old 06-23-2008, 10:09 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,160,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post

Finally, regarding what type of dog to choose - I don't have any great advice because all my patients with asthma and allergies always tell me that they are never allergic to their own dog - just other people's!!!
You have to wonder if many more types/breeds of dogs would work fine for the average allergy-prone person.

Obviously, you don't want to choose a heavy-shedder, but maybe the spectrum of choice is wider than we think. One of my dogs has a super-short coat, a barely-there coat, yet she would never make it onto a list of "low allergy" dogs (she's a pit bull). If every dog I ever have in my life can have this kind of coat, I'd be very happy, her shedding is so minimal .

Old 08-27-2008, 12:12 PM

5 posts, read 50,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
We are finally at a place in our lives where we can begin thinking about getting a puppy for our kids. My daughter wants to be a vet one day (she's 9) and the girl has every stuffed puppy known to man.

What breed should I consider since my wife and kids have asthma and my wife has mild allergies to dogs. She can't take meds as they don't work for her.

The dog would need to be more of an indoor dog during the day while we're at work. But come time to come home, he'd be runnin' with the kids and me. We can't do a big dog so are thinking small to medium sized. I'm not into daschunds or chiuaua style dogs.

Also, can you give me a rough estimate on what I should expect to spend on the dog annually? Should we talk to a vet before getting a dog? Any advice would be awesome!
poodles are great for people with asthma. you can aslo go for the cockapoo. I have a sister with asthma she has had both breeds. I at present have cockapoos. the cockapoo is technically not a breed its a cross breed between poodle and cockerspaniel but seems okay in most cases. if asthma is severe I would stick to poodle there are also other breeds that are hypo allergenic etc yes call a vet they know more breeds than I do

Last edited by sneaker; 08-27-2008 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: would not let me put in the breed of dog because of its name

Old 08-27-2008, 12:20 PM

5 posts, read 50,408 times
oops I answered on your post roflol I am new at this. sowwy. okay the poodle may be okay a cockapoo maybe. there are other breeds that are fine I have a sister with asthma she favoured the poodle. however no dog never sheds but some shed very little

Old 08-27-2008, 12:57 PM

113 posts, read 248,972 times
My son has asthma and is allergic to most animal hair.
We have a boxer and he has never had any reaction to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or