U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 10:15 PM

3,684 posts, read 10,982,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodbye Bawlmer View Post
For the past 3 or 4 days my small dog has been itching like crazy!
She is kept on flea/tick/mosquito treatment as well as preventitive heartworm medication, so we ruled those things out. We realized that this wasn't just a skin irritation that would pass (she has no rashes, bumps, etc) and took her to the vet today.
The first thing he asked was whether we have Foxes in our neighborhood, to which I replied Yes. He then told us that she may have "scabies" (which can be transmitted by foxes) and would need to take a skin scraping. He took the scraping and looked at it under a microscope but did not see any scabies.
The vet gave us a new heartworm medication (topical) and a 5 day supply of prednisone for the itching. He said he still thinks it may be scabies, even though he didn't find any and wanted to treat her for it.
Does anyone have any experience with this?
I have more experience with this than I would like. One of my foster dogs had it. There are two types of mange in dogs sarcoptic and demodex. The sarcoptic is also known as canine scabies. The symptoms are what you described and it's very hard to actually see the mites from a scraping, the scraping just usually rules out anything else. For dogs you need to treat all the dogs in the house, it's highly contagious. The simple treatment is Revolution topical...you apply it every two weeks for 6 weeks and it's gone. Unfortunately my 4 year old son did catch it and went to preschool and told everyone he had caught "the dog bugs"... which was no fun explaining. Humans can be infected with the canine version but it is self-limiting as the eggs can not hatch so the life cycle is broken and will clear on it's own, but it is still contagious until it does so treating an infected member of the family is wise so it doesn't spread. Once it's cleared from the house it won't come back unless another infected dog comes in contact with your dog. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
The dog that was left at the house I bought had a bad case. He had already lost 80% of his fur. From what I understand it is easily diagnosed. I had to treat him with that nasty smelly solution 6 times at 2 week intervals. He started getting relief right away and the hair started growing back except on his feet. He still dosent have all the hair growth on his feet. After that got cleared up, I took him to the neuter clinic (cheaper than my vet) and the vet there scraped him again thinking he may have mange because of his feet.
FYI - This type of mange is demodex...and although treatable it's a pain to do. Humans can't catch this one and healthy dogs don't either. In dogs that do develop a case like the one you are describing it's usually due to weakened immune systems and can flare up again but with ongoing treatment can be controlled.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:23 PM

67 posts, read 183,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodbye Bawlmer View Post
For the past 3 or 4 days my small dog has been itching like crazy!
She is kept on flea/tick/mosquito treatment as well as preventitive heartworm medication, so we ruled those things out. We realized that this wasn't just a skin irritation that would pass (she has no rashes, bumps, etc) and took her to the vet today.
The first thing he asked was whether we have Foxes in our neighborhood, to which I replied Yes. He then told us that she may have "scabies" (which can be transmitted by foxes) and would need to take a skin scraping. He took the scraping and looked at it under a microscope but did not see any scabies.
The vet gave us a new heartworm medication (topical) and a 5 day supply of prednisone for the itching. He said he still thinks it may be scabies, even though he didn't find any and wanted to treat her for it.
Does anyone have any experience with this?
Um, dogs don't get scabies. they get mange.

and if your dog does have mites, a skin scraping will confirm it. and your dog would need to come in contact with the foxes to get it.

your dog is probably just having an allergic reaction to something, like grass.

prednisone is a very powerful drug and damages the kidneys with long-term use. I certainly would not put any dog on it.

try a little benadryl instead... it's much safer!

and maybe go to a different vet. Yours sounds like a cracker.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:28 PM

67 posts, read 183,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krakenten View Post
I caught them from a dog, once, and the dog never exhibited any symptoms!

A woman I knew caught them from the books at Forest Park HS (she was a librarian), and that's a hot spot for the infestation.

The damnable things are most active in the small hours of the am, so you lose sleep!
humans can not catch mange from dogs.

they catch scabies from other humans.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettuce View Post
humans can not catch mange from dogs.

they catch scabies from other humans.
I'm sorry but you are absolutely wrong. Sarcoptic mange (canine scabies) can be transmitted from dogs to humans. Demodex mange can also be transmitted but only in rare cases such as immune deficient people (HIV, chemo patients, etc).

Please read up on it: Sarcoptic Mange

Old 06-20-2008, 10:04 AM

85 posts, read 363,351 times
Thanks for all the feedback!
Morgan is doing sooooo much better now. She took prednisone for 5 days and we gave her the first treatment of Revolution the day we got home form the vet. After 3 days she was doing better. All of her symptoms are gone now and she is no longer scratching.
I don't think she is allergic to grass. She almost 3 years old and has lived in the same home since we got her. Scabies -who knows?
Whatever it was, I am happy it's gone.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:49 AM

3,508 posts, read 12,136,013 times
Allergies are released through the skin on a dog. Have blood tested for thyroid levels. Your dog may have hypothyroidism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs