Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 10:38 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,517,484 times

Advertisements

My dog is very quiet and laid-back too. He'll bark if an animal comes into the yard, but usually only a couple of woofs and then he gets bored with it. He mostly just likes to get loved on.

He's not much into toys or playing. He does get quite active with his mole hunting though, and he loves to go goat herding, and also enjoys playing in the ditch in the water after it rains, as long as I go with him and get wet too.

I love having a calm, quiet dog. I can take him almost anywhere without a problem. When we travel, he's even welcome in homes of people who usually don't like dogs. A calm, quiet dog can also be a good candidate for becoming a therapy dog, if he likes people. My dog is a therapy dog. It's something you might want to look into, if you think your dog would enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 07:56 AM

376 posts, read 1,809,395 times
Isn't it nice having a laid back, quiet dog? My dog, also part Shih Tzu, is EXTREMELY laid back and very social, loves other people and animals -- the standing joke in my neighborhood is that my cat is a better watch dog than my dog The dog does "guard" at night though, and will bark if anything or anyone approaches the house, so that's OK. Otherwise, you'd never hear a peep out of him. Mostly, he just likes to be wherever I am and observe -- I can even bring him to work, he's so good. Once he has greeted everyone and been petted, he just comes back to my office and will lie on his travel mat. He does like to play fetch with soft toys so we do that a lot, a chewy is always welcome, lots of walks around the neighborhood so he can visit his friends and the more belly scratches he can get, the better!

Old 06-19-2008, 03:08 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,776,674 times
Default Not much barking either

My lab doesn't bark either. He barks in his sleep when he has a doggie dream but besides that he has only barked about 5 times and he is already 2 yrs. He will whine though when he needs to go out or come in. His middle name is Beringer because when he was a puppy he looked like a bear and he whined. We didn't know that the whining wasn't just a puppy thing. LOL

Old 06-19-2008, 03:15 PM

812 posts, read 2,307,229 times
I have 2 long coat chihuahuas. My girl I got as a puppy and she was socialized and I did everything the books said to do so she wouldn't be neurotic. She always had to be in the same room I was in and we were really close. When she was 2, we got anoth Long coat male and he was 1 1/2 at the time neurotic rescue dog and he is always by my side and even sleeps under the covers w/ me. Now she always stays hidden and only comes out briefly to mingle at night. Very quiet and shy at 4 yrs and not the same girl anymore. When the male has a day at the vet she clings to me like old times but other than that she does like your dog. She also will sit in the yard alone and doesn't like to be touched much at all either. Totally independant. I can't get her out of her mode either so I just accepted it. I hear her tags going when she drinks water and sometimes I bring her the food since she won't come out to eat. (I know where she hides out)

Old 06-19-2008, 08:34 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,076 times
My dachshund is pretty quiet like that as well. The doorbell sends him into a frenzy and when we come home from work or school, he runs around and acts crazy. But on a routine day-to-day basis, he does an enormous amount of laying around and watching the comings and goings of our busy family.

His favorite place to lay is on a rug in the entrance hall that is the same color as he is. The kids call it his "camo-carpet"! From that stealth vantage point he can see into the kitchen, part-way up the stairs, the back deck and the front door!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs